Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife just said that they were going to show it but now they have to get taped copies and send home permission slips!

To watch the friggin' President encourage kids to work hard!

And most likely there won't be enough tapes...so most of those young, poor kids where my wife works aren't going to see it.

By the way, 'Epic Fail'?
How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post
I didn't bother watching his "I... I.... I..... I..... I....... I........" speech after reading the pre-release. Although there were some good points in the speech, I would have been completely surprised that there wouldn't be any, after one hour long speech?
Not counting fake quotes, you used the word "I" twice! Egotist!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In my sons school are 1300 kids who are in school...why isn't he speaking to kids in juvenile centers...they should change their life's and go to school!
yeah.

we should also only tell kids not to drink and drive if they've already driven drunk. also, we should only tell junkies that doing heroin isn't a good idea.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Incidentally, Obama still broke the law by circumventing School Boards. No surprise. Law has no meaning with this administration
How do you figure since it wasn't even mandatory? You know about some law that everyone else in the country doesn't?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In my sons school are 1300 kids who are in school...why isn't he speaking to kids in juvenile centers...they should change their life's and go to school!
It seems like your son is going to a good school, and he is very lucky for that; however, the sad reality is that a lot of kids attend schools that are absolutely terrible. I remember looking over the report on graduation rates in major cities from America's Promise, and the graduation rates were simply abysmal. Something like half of the students in major cities will not graduate. I'm not going to get into an education debate, but honestly, that's simply pathetic. A lot of kids NEED to hear to stay in school, and I think it's an extremely positive thing to hear that from a president.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How do you figure since it wasn't even mandatory? You know about some law that everyone else in the country doesn't?
LOL! Clearly President Obama's speech was an epic success...his opponents have once again run around like the sky is falling, then ended up looking foolish when the sky stays in its usual place. The dire predictions never come true, and the nitpicking is beginning to sound and look as unimportant as it is.
The GOP has become the boy who cried wolf.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
EPIC. Totally EPIC FAIL.

My daughter (high school) said her teacher didn't even show them the speech
My son (middle school) said a "huge" amount of kids left the classroom and skipped the speech

TOTALLY. EPIC. FAIL!!!

(...and a complete waste of everyone's time....when they should've been getting instruction/studying/working in class).
Local students react to the text of Obama's address to students - St. Petersburg Times

Old 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Incidentally, Obama still broke the law by circumventing School Boards. No surprise. Law has no meaning with this administration
I dont think this is true, school boards, or school administrations all had the choice to play it or not..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know, but many of the parents were already planning on pulling their kids before the content was released.
I dont think so, find a source to back up that accusation..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
LOL! Clearly President Obama's speech was an epic success...
Actually it was far from a success, the fact that they need to reword the speech and change the scheduled class discussions, just another example of Obama caving in to those he doesnt need to...

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
When Obama-haters keep getting hit with pie in the face, like this well-received speech that failed to deliver their dire predictions, they just keep eating.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
And yet if Obama offered free college for the kiddies who stayed home, the R'wingies would be salivating, and holding their grubby little palms out. "Gimme gimme."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies