U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,549,254 times

Advertisements

Michael Vick spoke to young impressionable minds yesterday. I have a problem with a liar and dirtball talking to kids.
Yet some parents liked what he said..

Esperanza students, parents like what Vick had to say | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/09/2009

The school could not get anyone else but a dirtball to speak with these students? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM

35,000 posts, read 23,230,838 times
"Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, told reporters outside the school: 'If Michael Vick can turn 10, 100, or 1,000 kids away from dogfighting, then our partnership with him would be worth it.'"

Maybe it's part of his community service.

The article doesnt say that that was all he talked about, or if he mostly gave a "stay in school" msg or what but the quoted kids are all talking about "Everyone deserves a second chance"...one kid even said 'second and third chances".

Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM

21,117 posts, read 9,891,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Michael Vick spoke to young impressionable minds yesterday. I have a problem with a liar and dirtball talking to kids.

Esperanza students, parents like what Vick had to say | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/09/2009

The school could not get anyone else but a dirtball to speak with these students? Really?

Obama already gave his speech yesterday.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM

21,117 posts, read 9,891,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, told reporters outside the school: 'If Michael Vick can turn 10, 100, or 1,000 kids away from dogfighting, then our partnership with him would be worth it.'"

The article doesnt say that that was all he talked about, or if he mostly gave a "stay in school" msg or what but the quoted kids are all talking about "Everyone deserves a second chance"...one kid even said 'second and third chances".

I wonder if the kids had to write down what they felt Mr. Vick was asking them to do?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM

12,157 posts, read 10,789,332 times
Quote:

Who better to tell kids "don't screw up and make dumb decisions like I did."

Schools have people speak to kids all the time about things to avoid. For some reason, when you tell your kids about safe sex they hear about 15% of it but when a 15 year old mother comes in with a baby on her hip that number jumps to at least 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Quote:
I wonder if the kids had to write down what they felt Mr. Vick was asking them to do?
I wonder why you aren't capable of posting without talking about Obama and we're supposed to be the ones who are obsessed...yeah okay

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

How about if a humane society volunteer or worker addressed the students instead of a criminal? Michael Vick is sorry about one thing- getting caught. If he did not get caught he would still be leading dog fighting rings. It is completely inappropriate to have him speak to students about any subject matter. There are a thousand other speakers those students could have heard that day and Michael Vick is chosen...
Sorry that boggles my mind.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Who better to tell kids "don't screw up and make dumb decisions like I did."

Schools have people speak to kids all the time about things to avoid. For some reason, when you tell your kids about safe sex they hear about 15% of it but when a 15 year old mother comes in with a baby on her hip that number jumps to at least 50.

I wonder why you aren't capable of posting without talking about Obama and we're supposed to be the ones who are obsessed...yeah okay
So this is the education and society we have become- having millionaire athletes who committed crimes influencing our young students?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Well part of my point in starting this thread was there was outrage about the President speaking to students but a criminial speaks to students and people are happy about that?

Kind of backwards I think.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

3,218 posts, read 7,725,127 times
Quote:
How about if a humane society volunteer or worker addressed the students instead of a criminal?
Same thing as a cop telling kids not to do drugs.....most won't really listen. When you bring in a recovering addict who talks about what it did to his/her life, what it took to get over it, etc. it has a tendency to resonate more.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

12,157 posts, read 10,789,332 times
Quote:
Quote:
How about if a humane society volunteer or worker addressed the students instead of a criminal? Michael Vick is sorry about one thing- getting caught. If he did not get caught he would still be leading dog fighting rings. It is completely inappropriate to have him speak to students about any subject matter. There are a thousand other speakers those students could have heard that day and Michael Vick is chosen...
Sorry that boggles my mind.
Quote:
So this is the education and society we have become- having millionaire athletes who committed crimes influencing our young students?
Because it's a different message when it comes from someone whose actually done it. A speech from a person who was strung out on drugs and lost everything is different from your principal telling you to never use. A speech from an ex-con is different than a speech from a prison guard. A speech from someone with HIV is different than a speech from a doctor.

I'm not sure why that is - maybe because when you're a kid and someone tries to tell you something the first thing that pops into your head is "yeah right, what do you know about it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Same thing as a cop telling kids not to do drugs.....most won't really listen. When you bring in a recovering addict who talks about what it did to his/her life, what it took to get over it, etc. it has a tendency to resonate more.
Exactly.
Again, this has been done for years - I don't know why some people are suddenly surprised that this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies