Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
He said what the rest of us were thinking, except he used his outside voice.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
WELL KIDDIES... Joe Wilson is a liar and a fool OR severly handicaped in his reading skills .. heres some FACTS about the bill that the idiot mis read..

Quote:
• Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure! False: Section 113 of the bill requires the Health Choices commissioner to conduct a study to make sure health reform does not unintentionally create incentives for businesses to self-insure or create adverse selection in the risk pools of insured plans. There is no mandated audit.

• Page 29: Admission: your health care will be rationed! False: Section 122 outlines broad categories of benefits that must be included in an essential benefits package. It prohibits cost-sharing for preventive care and limits annual out-of-pocket spending to $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for a family, indexed for inflation. It says nothing about rationing or limiting treatment.

• Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
Barely True: Section 123 establishes a Health Benefits Advisory Committee that makes recommendations on what types of health insurance coverage will be defined as basic, enhanced or premium. The committee will be chaired by the surgeon general, with members appointed by the president, the comptroller general, and representatives of federal agencies. This committee makes recommendations on insurance regulations, so in that sense it does set standards for benefits. But it does not make decisions about treatments for individuals.

• Page 42: The "Health Choices Commissioner" will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
Pants on Fire!: Section 142 outlines the duties of the Health Choices commissioner, who is charged with regulating insurers. The commissioner should seek insurers to offer different types of insurance, including basic, enhanced and premium. Individuals will be able to choose among competing insurers who are regulated via the exchange.

• Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free health care services.
Pants on Fire! Section 152 includes a generic nondiscrimination clause, which says insurers may not discriminate with regard to "personal characteristics extraneous to the provision of high quality health care or related services." It says nothing about "non-US citizens" or immigrants, legal or otherwise. In fact, the legislation specifically states that undocumented aliens will not be eligible for credits to help them buy health insurance, in Section 246 on page 143.

• Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard. Barely True: Section 163 sets out goals for electronic health records. It says one goal should be real-time confirmation of which services a person qualifies for and how much they will have to pay. That could be achieved by machine-readable beneficiary cards, according to the legislative language. But the legislation does not require the cards.

• Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer. Barely True: Section 163 sets out goals for electronic health records. One of the goals is to include features that "enable electronic funds transfers, in order to allow automated reconciliation" between payment and billing. The legislative summary says the intent in the section is "to adopt standards for typical transactions" between insurance companies and health care providers. The legislation generically describes typical electronic banking transactions and does not outline any special access privileges.

• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (read: SEIU, UAW and ACORN) . Pants on Fire! Section 164 creates a temporary reinsurance program to help employers or employee associations pay for coverage for workers ages 55 to 64. It does not mention labor unions or community organizer groups, though presumably they could qualify for subsidies like any other employee association that previously offered health insurance. The section's point, however, is to offer subsidies to employer-based insurance programs, not unions or community organizers.

• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange. True. Private health care plans must conform to government rules to participate in the exchange, and this page begins an explanation of exchange rules. However, the requirement that insurance companies must conform to is also presented much earlier in the bill. We spotted an earlier reference on page 15, Section 101.

• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans) . Mostly True. Section 203 sets rules saying that plans must offer basic plans before they can offer plans with extra benefits. These extra benefits are defined as enhanced plans and premium plans. (The unstated assumption here is that enhanced and premium plans will be more profitable for the insurance companies.) But this isn't the page number that requires health plans to participate in the exchange. Technically speaking, private insurance plans are not required to participate. Rather, only insurance sold on the exchange will satisfy the mandate that people have health insurance. In effect, private health plans that want to sell to individuals will have to sell through the exchange, under the terms of the bill.

• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens. Half True. Section 204 outlines more regulations for health insurance plans in the exchange. One of the requirements is that they provide "culturally and linguistically appropriate communication and health services." Another part of the bill mentions that this includes "effective methods for communicating in plain language." There is no mention of citizenship status.

• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
False. Section 205 says the Health Choices commissioner is charged with publicizing the options on the health care exchange. The legislation says the commissioner "may work with other appropriate entities to facilitate the dissemination of information." The bill does not mention ACORN or Americorps. The bill also says that the commissioner must publicize the "Exchange-participating health benefits plan options," which would include private insurance plans.

• Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter. False. This page describes people who would qualify for Medicaid, a government insurance program for people with very low incomes. It says that individuals will be automatically enrolled in Medicaid only if they have "not elected to enroll in an Exchange-participating health benefits plan." So the auto-enrollment only happens if they have not chosen another plan.

• Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers will be crushed. Barely True. Section 223 discusses how the government will pay doctors under the public option health insurance; they will pay 5 percent more than Medicare pays. It's true that this section does not set out any sort of judicial review, but it specifically states that health care providers do not have to accept patients under the public option. The bill also says that the Health Choices commissioner has the authority "to correct for payments that are excessive or deficient," taking into account "amounts paid for similar health care providers and services under other Exchange-participating health benefits plans." There may be a broader case to be made that the government can outcompete private insurers through the public option, but this section of the plan doesn't have to do with lawsuits or judicial review.

• Page 127: The AMA sold doctors out: the government will set wages. Barely True. Section 225 discusses payments for physicians who choose to accept the public option insurance. Again, there may be a broader case to be made that the government can outcompete private insurers through the public option, but this section of the plan only applies to payments to doctors for patients who are part of the public option. The government does not set wages for doctors because doctors are free to decline to see the patients.
FACT CHECK

and then there is this from side by side comps.. do yourself a favor and read the info here and give back to Joe Wilson his own words .. "YOU LIE"

Side by Side facts and reasons of health reform

Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Wow...Mr Wilson not only represents his congressional district, but also the state of South Carolina. My spouse's family is from South Carolina. Through my travels in that state as well as my interactions with my in laws, I always understood that good manners were paramount in that region. Good manners were always the great equalizer: you don't have to be rich or well educated to have good manners. As a matter of fact, bad manners are inexcusable and unforgivable.

I don't care who is lying and who isn't. If you're going to take the high road, you must do so REGARDLESS of what other people do or do not do. There are plenty of forums where Mr Wilson could have disputed the president's statements. His behavior was inappropriate and it is a very poor reflection upon the Congress and the state of South Carolina. My late father in law, a South Carolinian, would have said that Mr Wilson "showed his A$$".

The US Congress has protocols, etiquette and traditions. Mr Wilson, in effect, wiped his behind with all that. From now on, the GOP cannot accuse any politician of "disrespecting the office of anything". The Republicans of yesteryear had better manners and more class. Ronald Reagan must be rolling over in his grave.

As far as I'm concerned, Mr Wilson disrespected the Office of the President of the United States, his fellow South Carolinians, the Congress and the people of this country. There is a time and a place for everything-Mr Wilson should know that.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
It sounded a little like the English Parliament to me. A group we could take some lessons from. Instead of sitting aound like lackluster brain dead jackasses or bobbing up and down like leapin lips at an ass kissers convention it is refreshing to hear a little dissent regards liars in favor of some truth.
Actually, it sounded nothing like the English Parliament, because even there (and in many other vociferous parliaments), accusing a specific person of lying is considered "unparliamentary:"

Unparliamentary language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It had no place during a joint session. The fact that other Republicans and Republican leadership called him out on it shows that everyone knows he crossed the line.

To me it was more of the foaming-mouthed antics that I've become embarrassed by and disgusted with from the far right.

I'm an Independent. I've voted Republican on more than one occasion, but today I donated to Joe Wilson's opponent-- an Iraq War veteran named Rob Miller. Found the link to do so here:

ActBlue — Rob Miller

It's time the incensed drama queens of the Republican party (not all Republicans, just the screamers) got the message that they need to tone it down and bring some dignity back to the party and the debate.

Shame on Joe Wilson and others who have dragged the discourse raving into the gutter.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe people were just fed up with the treatment Bush had gotten and wanted to do a litle payback.

Note:I was and am not one of them. But I call em as I see em.
Funny, I don't recall anyone standing up in Congress and screaming that Bush was lying.

Nope. Never happened.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Better yet, why would you defend a liar like Obama? The demwits could likely have gotten their precious health bill passed and then we would all have watched it evolve into medical totalitarianism had they only suffered a few Repub amendments regards abortion and ilegal aliens. They would not make those concessions because they are vote whores. They don't give a damn about you. They only care about maintaining power. They are vote whores and they will not give up the vote of mexicans and liberal women. Without their mexicans and liberal women and homosexueal and union coalitions they are nothing. They are vote whores and they will do anything detrimental to this country to maintain their power and lifestyle and crooked venues for wealth. Obama is a liar, he knows he is a liar and if you believe you can bring 4o million onto the medical welfare rolls and not sustain a loss then you are either a liar or you don't have a very heightened sense of reason.
It is amazing to me how Obama opens his mouth and sings his karaoke siren song and the lemmings dance to his tune. All you have to do is listen to the words and try and substanciate what he says. If you give it more than a passing thought he says nothing and supports nothing. It is kinda like a bad James Brown concert. Oh....I feel good....I knew that I would. I feel nice...like sugar and spice...so good so good cause hes got you... duh... duh... duh... duh... duh... duh... duh. Shuck and jive on steroids.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But throwing shoes is okay. As long as its Smirky McBushHitler.
That did not happen in the US, IIRC.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Wilson should not have apologized. He should have demanded an apology from the White House for Obama's deliberate attempt to mislead the American people. It is the ACORN and Obama way after all. Distorting the truth to Obama and ACORN is perfectly acceptable if it is for "the greater good". Wrong!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies