Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

38,610 posts, read 26,260,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Clinton inherited massive debt from Bush Senior and was able to balance the budget. After Bush Junior came to office, our country was again plunged into even greater massive debt. Thanks be to God, that we have a Democrat in office again to try and save our country from the Republican's fiscal irresponsibility.

The problem with trying to rewrite history is the presence of old news articles from the time. The federal government was shut down twice after the Republican Revolution because once tax cuts were agreed upon the White House refused to agree to the spending cuts that made Pay-Go workable.

"Right now it's all about politics with the President," Mr. Dole said on the NBC News program "Meet the Press." "I'm very disappointed," Mr. Dole said, pointing out that he had supported the President on the North American Free Trade Agreement, the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and on Bosnia. Now, he said, the President was ignoring Republicans on the budget.

POLITICAL LEADERS MAKE NO PROGRESS ON A BUDGET DEAL - The New York Times

BATTLE OVER THE BUDGET: THE OVERVIEW;Federal Workers Go Home as Budget Impasse Stiffens - The New York Times

BATTLE OVER THE BUDGET: THE OVERVIEW;PRESIDENT AND G.O.P. AGREE TO END FEDERAL SHUTDOWN AND TO NEGOTIATE A BUDGET - The New York Times

BO and the Democrats have at least tripled the federal deficit and will likely continue these numbers or even expand on them.

Perhaps you could offer a logical reason why that would not be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,559,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
No one said it was his fault. I know in your partisian mind you like to think the opposition to Obama said that. However he has done NOTHING to help the situation. He promised 600,000 jobs by the end of the summer, he promised that if the stimulus was passed unemployment would stay below 8.4% he promised millions of new jobs, he promised to stop foreclosures, he promised to reform Wall St., He promised to cap executive pay, we can go on...If it is not stupidity it was pure lies.

Oh and what books are your nose in that tell you exactly what is happening? Because by the time a book reaches the shelves it is far behind current events. Here I'll help you- try Reading 'The Economist'.

Yes, the poster I quoted said it was his fault. That's who I was responding too. I know not every single person out there thinks it's all his fault, but there are quite a few people who do. And I hardly think I'm 'partisan' considering I did not vote for Obama and I'm an independent bordering Libertarian.

You know how they say you can 'learn from the past'? I've been reading up on past economic problems not only in our country, but in others as well. Seeing what works and what doesn't I am not well versed enough to give out a real opinion (I have a lot more reading to do) but if all you study is current events, you're not getting the entire picture. Yes, I do read 'The Economist' on occasion, but I'd be stupid to just pick one publication and base all my assumptions on what it says.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,038,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Nice rebuttal. (sigh) Fairytale how?
This is coming from the WHITEHOUSE. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

White House economists said Thursday that the Obama administration's recovery efforts have saved or created more than one million jobs so far, an optimistic report that economists cautioned was preliminary and uncertain

UPDATE 1-White House: stimulus money added jobs, GDP growth | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

And last I checked there has not been a net positive job growth figure since early 2008.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,056,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
This is coming from the WHITEHOUSE. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

White House economists said Thursday that the Obama administration's recovery efforts have saved or created more than one million jobs so far, an optimistic report that economists cautioned was preliminary and uncertain

UPDATE 1-White House: stimulus money added jobs, GDP growth | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

And last I checked there has not been a net positive job growth figure since early 2008.
"a grain of salt," what do you mean exactly?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,056,985 times
I literally about became nauseated and turned the channel when he started off the speech with that nonsensical diatribe. Seriously, who is he kidding? Even my girl, who is hardly a political watchdog, said out loud, "has he not seen any of the headlines lately?" For her to make that kind of statement, you know the President is full of sh*t.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,937,865 times
Quote:
AeroGuyDC
I literally about became nauseated and turned the channel when he started off the speech with that nonsensical diatribe. Seriously, who is he kidding? Even my girl, who is hardly a political watchdog, said out loud, "has he not seen any of the headlines lately?" For her to make that kind of statement, you know the President is full of sh*t.
What did expect he's a Liberal...

Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,222,269 times
He can take credit because there's no way to prove it otherwise.
The only way to prove him right or wrong is to go back in time and move forward to this point without any "thanks to Congress" action or packages. Now you have 2 sets of real data to compare.

That's why no one can argue that the administration didn't make it better or worse..no one can prove them right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies