U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

2,665 posts, read 3,413,281 times

Advertisements

Why is the government trying to get between a patient and their private physician if thing are going well? Haven't they learned their lesson with the disastrous "stimulus" bill??? How about they work to simply hold onto the jobs we now have and put a break on the soaring unemployment?????

The White House - Press Office - Remarks by the President in Discussion with 9th Graders-Wakefield High School

". . . . the majority of Americans still have health insurance through their job and most of them are happy with it. . . ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM

351 posts, read 332,577 times
Maybe, unlike my Father who lost his job and health cover, developed cancer and died because he could not get the treatment he needed and could not be polled, the "majority" who polled positive could do so because the ones who are dissatisfied with the system are mostly dead.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,661,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Maybe, unlike my Father who lost his job and health cover, developed cancer and died because he could not get the treatment he needed and could not be polled, the "majority" who polled positive could do so because the ones who are dissatisfied with the system are mostly dead.
I am very sorry to hear about your father. If anything, this shows to all of us that what is available now (private health insurance) is not working for everyone, and certainly not the "majority." Many companies today that are hiring are hiring workers on a consultant basis, thus not providing health insurance options or they are hiring part-time workers and avoiding it that way. I'm not here to blame the companies; I'm here to say that health insurance is so $$$costly to firms that they will do all sorts of things to avoid covering workers.

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your dear father. I hope that we can get something done in honor of him and many other people who have also fallen through the cracks.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,842,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I am very sorry to hear about your father. If anything, this shows to all of us that what is available now (private health insurance) is not working for everyone, and certainly not the "majority." Many companies today that are hiring are hiring workers on a consultant basis, thus not providing health insurance options or they are hiring part-time workers and avoiding it that way. I'm not here to blame the companies; I'm here to say that health insurance is so $$$costly to firms that they will do all sorts of things to avoid covering workers.

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your dear father. I hope that we can get something done in honor of him and many other people who have also fallen through the cracks.
"Certainly not the majority?"

330,000,000 - 47,000,000 uninsured = Majority of people insured.

The Al Gore School of Fuzzy Math, eh?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 PM

351 posts, read 332,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Do you really believe that "being covered" means that you are "covered" when the insurance companies openly admit that they will try anything to stop you getting treatment. Many who are covered are fortunate that they have not been denied treatment or have been lucky not to need life saving expensive treatment, so of course they are happy. Just using figures means nothing. Ask the many who thought they had their health needs taken care of only to be denied treatment because of some minor complaint they forget they had in 67.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM

39 posts, read 95,815 times
How exactly is the government trying to get between the patient and their physician? Do you mean in the same way that private insurance companies do?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

according to Obama last night, the 47,000,000 has magically gone to 30,000,000. Tomorrow he might even come up with better numbers. . . .

Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,842,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Do you really believe that "being covered" means that you are "covered" when the insurance companies openly admit that they will try anything to stop you getting treatment. Many who are covered are fortunate that they have not been denied treatment or have been lucky not to need life saving expensive treatment, so of course they are happy. Just using figures means nothing. Ask the many who thought they had their health needs taken care of only to be denied treatment because of some minor complaint they forget they had in 67.
And the answer is government-ran healthcare? If so, do you support open-ended, no-restrictions, no-matter-the-cost coverage? If so, who will pay for it (since obviously the private sector refuses to)? If it's the taxpayers who pay for it, do you think that it's a bottomless pit of funds? If so, where wil this bottomless pit of money come from? Do you think it will come from the rich folks? If so, have you seen the figures that suggest the top tax-brackets are not deep enough to cover this free-for-all, bottomless pit, no-restrictions-to-coverage you advocate for?

Of course, none of that matters. Obama and Democrats proposed it, so it MUST be viable.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM

". . . . the majority of Americans still have health insurance through their job and most of them are happy with it. . . ." -- Obama 9/8/09

Perhaps Obama's worried that his stimulus may continue to put more and more out of work.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,668,670 times
Perhaps Obama understand that insurance coverage can be fleeting. One minute, you have a 100% HMO, love your doctor and are healthy. A couple months later, your company shuts down, you develop cancer and have no options. How would you feel if this was your child? Your mother? Or like me, your Aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or