Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I in fact do.
Your facts do not include such things as longevity, reliability nor performance.
Also factor in that gasoline and diesel are not used solely for highway uses.
My Kabota garden tractor (Diesel) uses 1/4 the fuel that my previous tractor ( Gas)used for the same work load.
I ask again. If so much of the world has gone to Diesel as a primary fuel why do we lag behind.
Many are quick to point out what Europe or asia does as a model for what we need to do. Example UHC.
That's because I was discussing emissions, not a bunch of other variables that make a vehicle great or not like reliability or performance. The data doesn't lie, clean diesel is just a marketing gimmick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
There are tradeoffs, but the TDIs have features that aren't available in a hybrid. Namely torque and a manual transmission. The payoff in fuel savings is faster with the diesel, too. TDIs can also run on biodiesel (although only 5% if you want warranty coverage). My goal is a combo of mileage and performance, and, like I said in my first post, I'm not sold on hybrid technology. I gotta admit, the South Park episode didn't help

Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
If you cared to read my previous posts in this thread, you'd learn that the corporation I work for gave me a lot of money to purchase a Prius. As for this so called "premium," did you ever think that people pay extra for pickup trucks, sports cars, or entry level luxury cars?

Hybrids consist of less than 5% of the vehicles on the road in the United States. When Plug in electric hybrids, full electric, and hyrdrogen are available at a reasonable price, my car will hardly be the betamax of automobiles. No, the real dinosaurs will be all the gasoline only vehicles that continue to rule our streets.

And why wouldn't you get in one as a passenger? Actually scratch that question. I've seen your posting history. I know the answer.
Explain it away all you want but my points aside, the Prius is simply a sissy car.

http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivator5245ef7f068bc663a0d13c6a1de2cb7193dfaa24. jpg (broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Or do you just assume they just have awful taste in cars.
Nope, just real smart!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM

127 posts, read 403,860 times
I don't, but there is at least a 90% chance that they are. The Obama stickers are usually a dead giveaway.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Do you mean like you liberals have done for years with people who drive SUVs?
"you liberals"? WOW.

You really need to read my other posts more often.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm Mike View Post
I don't, but there is at least a 90% chance that they are. The Obama stickers are usually a dead giveaway.
I see those type of bumper stickers on all makes and model of cars all day long. Are they Democrats as well?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I see those type of bumper stickers on all makes and model of cars all day long. Are they Democrats as well?
Here are the cars I see Obama stickers on - Honda Civic, Subaru Forester, Prius and soccer mom SUVS(bad Obama loving soccer mom, don't you know that O don't like you driving SUVS?)

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm Mike View Post
Here are the cars I see Obama stickers on - Honda Civic, Subaru Forester, Prius and soccer mom SUVS(bad Obama loving soccer mom, don't you know that O don't like you driving SUVS?)
And the Prius is a great little car, why waste your hard earned money on a piece of junk thats going to break down every time you turn the corner, like the big three.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
And the Prius is a great little car, why waste your hard earned money on a piece of junk thats going to break down every time you turn the corner, like the big three.
I can't argue with you there, American car companies suck(maybe not Ford) and the Prius is a good car, I am not knocking it. I am on the road all day long and do notice "car stereotypes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies