Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
No I do not hold the executive office responsible. There are many people in power who have alot more control over the economy then the President. You just do not know who the real players are.
add links:
I understand these are opinions but they are substaniated. They are supported by economists and analysts.

Why the President Can't Fix the Economy | Newsweek The Smart List | Newsweek.com

Opinion | Presidents have little influence on the economy | Seattle Times Newspaper

For a candidate to claim that he or she can "create jobs," or "fix the economy," by any combination of policies is not simply bombast, it is highly misleading and diminishes the true role of our private sector and financial markets. At most, an elected official, working in concert with Congress and federal bureaucrats, can tinker around the edges of fiscal policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
I believe saved in the context of employment is synonymous with preserving a job that would have otherwise been lost. For example, thanks to stimulus money, your state decides that in fact it doesn't need to reduce its police force by 100 officers therefore saving 100 jobs.
so obama's simply buying jobs with taxpayer money? that sounds so easy, even a complete idiot should be able to do it.

what do you suppose happens when the stimulus money that subsidized those jobs dries up?

and is there some place i can read the documentation regarding these 'saved' jobs for myself?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
No I do not hold the executive office responsible. There are many people in power who have alot more control over the economy then the President. You just do not know who the real players are.
Especially a politician from Chicago. There is someone behind the curtains pulling the strings. Wouldn't it be nice to know who has Obamas cell phone number in their speed dial ?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
8 years of bad decisions, and you expect a 180 degree u-turn in only 6 months??? Get real. We need at least 8 years if not 13 to get back on track. There is no way to get whole economy in order within 30, 60 or even 90 days!

How long does it take for YOU to get back on track if you have high bills, huge mortgage and no income? You can do that in 1 to 6 months?

Didn't think so...

Unemployment is going down. That's a good sign in terrible times.

Eight years of bad decisions, wow, that sucks.

I wonder why Americans didn't realize that in 2004.

Any ideas why that might be?

Maybe it would help to clear up some of the confusion if you could name some of those bad decisions and explain how the new administration is changing things with new policies that are having positive effects.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:37 PM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Hows all that hope and change working out for you...

Bureau of Labor Statistics data shows that 2.2 million jobs have been lost in the five full months since the “stimulus” was signed into law by President Obama.

The total number of jobs nationwide fell from 134.3 million at the end of January to 131.5 million at the end of July. This is a total job loss of 2.8 million jobs since Obama took office.

Job losses per month are as follows:
  • February: -651,000
  • March: -663,000
  • April: -539,000
  • May: -303,000
  • June: -443,000
  • July: -247,000

It will get far worse before it gets better, but look on the bright side, bigger government more jobs right? or maybe we can all just join the military.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well everywhere you read lately..the recession is over and we should be seeing growth very soon.
I guess they are going to do it without the consumer this time because if consumers don't have jobs they sure won't have money to spend.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM

700 posts, read 637,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so obama's simply buying jobs with taxpayer money? that sounds so easy, even a complete idiot should be able to do it.

what do you suppose happens when the stimulus money that subsidized those jobs dries up?

and is there some place i can read the documentation regarding these 'saved' jobs for myself?
Taxpayer's money already "buys" jobs, including those police officers I mentioned in my previous post. The stimulus money provided just means that payroll responsibility is temporarily transferred from the state to the federal government or rather that the feds are assisting the state to continue to employ those people.

As to your second question, stimulus money is meant to be the "bridge" that will keep people employed until the economic situation gets better and state/local governments and businesses are well enough to maintain those jobs.

I'm going on the assumption that a detailed list of every job saved due to the stimulus doesn't exist but I can give you one example. Lawmakers: Stimulus saved Virginia jobs - Martinsville Bulletin You may snub the source but it can't be denied that the state faced a large budget shortfall which in turn would have resulted in large-scale layoffs of state workers had it not received federal stimulus money.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Does anyone have a percentage of stimulus money that has actually been spent?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
And they promissed like 2 million jobs, so that is a difference of 4 million...that is how good this government is predicting...can you see how good Obama predicted the health care bill....that will be 4 generations to pay that money back!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Does anyone have a percentage of stimulus money that has actually been spent?
I think..and this is off the top of my head..about 10% or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies