Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
There's no such thing as a right to health care in America. If it was, it would have been included in the Bill of Rights—it's not as if doctors are a new invention, and weren't around back when the Bill of Rights was adopted. In any case, doctors are free individuals who should not be forced to serve others at the point of a gun. How would you like it if your profession was socialized, and the government micromanaged every aspect of it, including where you should work (as is done in Scandinavia)? Socialized health care ensures poor quality in health care, low availability, shortage of doctors, and very long lines. It strangles innovation, and not to mention, the U.S. cannot afford it. It's both immoral and impractical. Freedom in health care is the only path forward.
Under single payer, I don't predict doctors being forced to treat everyone. They can always agree not to be part of the single payer system and just see patients who pay in cash. Heck, they're SOMEWHAT free to do this now but a lot of insurance companies forbid doctors seeing patients who pay in cash only.

I don't feel like addressing all your other fantasies because they simply aren't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
I encourage you to study Congressman Ryan's "Roadmap For America's Future." It's a more free market oriented plan for health care reform which would ensure universal access to health insurance; strengthen Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security; lift the debt from future generations; and promote economic growth and job creation in America.

YouTube - Rep Paul Ryan (WI-01) - "A Roadmap For America's Future"

One of the reasons why so many conservatives are angry with President Obama, is that he was voting against all such health care reform proposals as a senator.
Free market is fine for some things but I don't trust it for my health care. Look at the job insurance companies have done already. They are denying people care in order to maximize profits. From all the horror stories I've heard, it scares me now thinking about the future with my insurance company. I'm just hoping I don't come down with a major illness and they refuse to pay for the treatment or worse...rescind my coverage. It's scary times when insurance companies have more power than the every day individual. Now Obama wants to put more people in their greedy and bloody hands....

We could get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security by implementing a single payer system. Taxes are not going to go through the roof.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
But.....I thought all the protesters were people who worked for the insurance companies!? Good thread, I am glad to see there are people out there looking at this from all angles. For a great many of us, this deal has nothing to do with partisanship or affiliation. It's about what's best for America. You have brought a wonderful addition to the ongoing debate to the table. Thank you so much, for just being a concerned American.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Under single payer, I don't predict doctors being forced to treat everyone. They can always agree not to be part of the single payer system and just see patients who pay in cash. Heck, they're SOMEWHAT free to do this now but a lot of insurance companies forbid doctors seeing patients who pay in cash only.

I don't feel like addressing all your other fantasies because they simply aren't true.
We're not going to single payer, though.

Remove the public option, and this healthcare proposal is going to compel people to purchase insurance via private insurers with the assumption that insurance premiums will decline since risk will be shared by a greater number of people. The fact that coverage denial will be taken off the board is going to render that assumption null, since insurance carriers will argue that their risks are increasing drastically. Public option gave the government significantly more power to keep premium costs down, and to control actual healthcare costs. No public option makes this legislation incredibly weak.
The cost control measures that will survive both houses of the legislature will barely make a dent. In a few years, people will maybe start to realize that our economy isn't expanding because the capital that is needed to fund expansion is being spent on healthcare. Whatever the cost of healthcare reform, the current cost of healthcare to our economy is simply not viable long-term.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No different than the porkulus, I mean stimulus...it was just a poorly disguised transfer of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy with a few crumbs thrown to others.
Yes, it seems all to obvious those who Obama claimed he was going to help are the first on his chopping block. This president is becoming a habitual fibber, and it's becoming more and more obvious what his real purpose and intent are. To literally "change" this nation into something else, while leaving the elitists and their fortunes intact. But can you really blame him, he is just playing with the cards you are dealt once you achieve this position of power. The president has a real fancy title, but he is by no means really in control of this country. So don't just blame Obama, believe me, it isn't really his fault. He is a figurehead, nothing more. The same can be said for nearly every American president in the last 70 years. Probably more.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM

136 posts, read 107,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Yes, it seems all to obvious those who Obama claimed he was going to help are the first on his chopping block. This president is becoming a habitual fibber, and it's becoming more and more obvious what his real purpose and intent are. To literally "change" this nation into something else, while leaving the elitists and their fortunes intact. But can you really blame him, he is just playing with the cards you are dealt once you achieve this position of power. The president has a real fancy title, but he is by no means really in control of this country. So don't just blame Obama, believe me, it isn't really his fault. He is a figurehead, nothing more. The same can be said for nearly every American president in the last 70 years. Probably more.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
But.....I thought all the protesters were people who worked for the insurance companies!? Good thread, I am glad to see there are people out there looking at this from all angles. For a great many of us, this deal has nothing to do with partisanship or affiliation. It's about what's best for America. You have brought a wonderful addition to the ongoing debate to the table. Thank you so much, for just being a concerned American.
Did I say all the protesters worked for insurance companies? I don't always have the best memory.

In any case, I'm always concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We're not going to single payer, though.

Remove the public option, and this healthcare proposal is going to compel people to purchase insurance via private insurers with the assumption that insurance premiums will decline since risk will be shared by a greater number of people. The fact that coverage denial will be taken off the board is going to render that assumption null, since insurance carriers will argue that their risks are increasing drastically. Public option gave the government significantly more power to keep premium costs down, and to control actual healthcare costs. No public option makes this legislation incredibly weak.
The cost control measures that will survive both houses of the legislature will barely make a dent. In a few years, people will maybe start to realize that our economy isn't expanding because the capital that is needed to fund expansion is being spent on healthcare. Whatever the cost of healthcare reform, the current cost of healthcare to our economy is simply not viable long-term.
DC, trust me, I know we're not going to single payer at this moment.
I think we're wasting $900 billion. We could save so much with single payer.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Sssshhhh.....the Elitist Continuum is very hush-hush about these matters. They have vays, you know, of finding out who you are and vere you live.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I always tell people to pay more attention to who represents them in Congress rather than the President. Congress passes the bills, the President just signs them.

People also need to pay attention to local and state politics. Nothing infuriated me more than seeing people be so pumped up about the President and paying very little attention to who was going to represent them in the state legislature.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:

On the other hand, all of your fantasies about a single-payer system are true along with magic rainbows and the tooth fairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies