Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times

Advertisements

The public option is nothing but a bailout for insurance companies.

http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

Obama seeks to reassure insurance companies, Republicans in speech to Congress on health care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The very insurers Pelosi et.al. are sharpening their claws for will get 10 million new clients to boost their profits.

Pelosi’s ‘Immoral’ Insurers May Gain in Obama Plan (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,423,866 times
Neither insurance companies nor pharmaceutical companies need bailouts but they will get a windfall.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM

323 posts, read 502,785 times
I encourage you to study Congressman Ryan's "Roadmap For America's Future." It's a more free market oriented plan for health care reform which would ensure universal access to health insurance; strengthen Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security; lift the debt from future generations; and promote economic growth and job creation in America.

YouTube - Rep Paul Ryan (WI-01) - "A Roadmap For America's Future"

One of the reasons why so many conservatives are angry with President Obama, is that he was voting against all such health care reform proposals as a senator.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
I encourage you to study Congressman Ryan's "Roadmap For America's Future." It's a more free market oriented plan for health care reform which would ensure universal access to health insurance; strengthen Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security; lift the debt from future generations; and promote economic growth and job creation in America.

One of the reasons why so many conservatives are angry with President Obama, is that he was voting against all such health care reform proposals as a senator.
I don't want insurance. I want health care when I need it and I want that for everyone.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM

323 posts, read 502,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I don't want insurance. I want health care when I need it and I want that for everyone.
There's no such thing as a right to health care in America. If it was, it would have been included in the Bill of Rights—it's not as if doctors are a new invention, and weren't around back when the Bill of Rights was adopted. In any case, doctors are free individuals who should not be forced to serve others at the point of a gun. How would you like it if your profession was socialized, and the government micromanaged every aspect of it, including where you should work (as is done in Scandinavia)? Socialized health care ensures poor quality in health care, low availability, shortage of doctors, and very long lines. It strangles innovation, and not to mention, the U.S. cannot afford it. It's both immoral and impractical. Freedom in health care is the only path forward.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
The majority of bankruptcies in the US is caused by healthcare costs.
The majority of those are middle class people who work, are insured, and the insurance either dropped them or refused to cover them because they were getting too expensive.
They are people like me, and perhaps, you.

If you were sick and your insurance would no longer cover you and you were strapped for cash, you would mortgage your home and then not be able to pay the mortgage. You might have a job, but not enough to pay all the bills.

The fact is that the marketplace is no longer servicing this segment of society. People, increasing numbers, cannot afford to keep body and soul together. This could be you or I one day.

We cannot just throw these people by the wayside.

These are no longer people who are druggies or alcoholics and contributed to their own demise. THey are our neighbors, our kids, us.

The whole of our society is being dragged down by this. People do not start small businesses because of these costs. Our companies go overseas to hire people whose governments pay for their health care.

It is a huge crack in our great system.

We can no longer afford to allow this situation to continue.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
There's no such thing as a right to health care in America. If it was, it would have been included in the Bill of Rights...
If not for the ninth amendment.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
There's no such thing as a right to health care in America.
That's for the Supreme Court to decide.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
No different than the porkulus, I mean stimulus...it was just a poorly disguised transfer of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy with a few crumbs thrown to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies