Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times

Advertisements

I have no party, so I make my own platform!

I am

-against abortion

-for the death penalty and would like to see it expanded to include child abusers and pedophiles

-against hitting/spanking children for any reason

-for term limits for all politicians

-against affirmative action/quotas

-against socialized healthcare, but support programs like CHIP for uninsured children

-for welfare recipients being required to work for their money

-against gay marriage

-for lower taxes and less government waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
I was a moderate republican for 35 years. I am for a strong national defense, low taxes,well spent and small government. The republican party has been co-opted by the loud, rude, radical right wing. They have made it very clear that there is no place for me in the new republican party. They call people like me RINOS. As far as I'm concerned, the party of Lincoln and Reagan is just a distant memory.

Every one on both sides of the isle agree that health care reform is necessary. To me the vocal republican minority are trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater on the issue of HC reform.

I have since switched my party affiliation to Independant.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
I don't even know if I have a party....I like the Libertarians BUT I support single payer and I have some liberal economic stances. I think I'm fiscally moderate. We need some government intervention because pure captialism leads to disaster.

I'm pro-choice.
Pro marriage equality even though I don't think government should be involved in marriage....
Marijuana should be legalized.
I'm against capital punishment
I think we need prison reform.
Against government waste
For single payer
I support gun rights within reason. There are some weapons that should only be reserved for the military.
I don't support wars.
I support renewable energy and I'm against drilling for more oil in this country. It's not worth all the pollution that will occur for oil that we'll just use up in a licket split second.

I support a maximum amount of time people can be on welfare unless they have a permanent disability or we're having a very long recession.

When I think of big government, I think of government being involved in every part of your life, monitoring a lot of what you do, etc.

I think we need single-payer health care in order to bring some economic prosperity, help individuals out, and help businesses (especially small businesses).

Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I usually vote republican but not always:
I am for limited government
I am against more taxes
I am for capital punishment
I am for womens choice
I am for legalization of marijuana
I am for gay marraige
I am for 2nd ammendment and gun ownership
I am against cap and trade
I am against the current wars and think we need to get out now
I am for a consumption tax rather than income tax
I am for some kind of health care reform
You sound like a democrat to me!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I am a democrat, and I am against affirmative action.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
I am a fairly liberal Democrat:
1. I opposed most gun control and support carry with permit (assuming that you have to take a test and prove you can safely handle and shoot the thing to get a permit).

2. I support school choice. If the school is academically defective or dangerous, parents should have the full right to remove their children from that school and send them to another public school or, if no room is available, a suitable private school.

3. On crime, I support mandatory long prison terms for violent offenders or repeat offenders but I do not think prison should be the answer for other crimes. Drugs should not result in prison either.

4. While I support immigration reform and a limited amnesty to illegals who are here, working and not in trouble with the police, I also support strong enforcement of the laws going forward. Fines and jail for employers who hire and the same for people caught sneaking in. No aid, no jobs and no shelter for illegals.

These are 4 things I have disagreements with the Democrats on.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I am a democrat, and I am against affirmative action.
I am opposed totally to race based affirmative action. But I do support economic based affirmative action.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You sound like a democrat to me!
Socially liberal; Fiscally conservative maybe??

Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Socially liberal; Fiscally conservative maybe??
A "fiscal conservative" is usually one who wants to spend all the money it takes to benefit him and his causes but opposes spending any for anybody else's causes.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A "fiscal conservative" is usually one who wants to spend all the money it takes to benefit him and his causes but opposes spending any for anybody else's causes.
Damn KevK...I'm having trouble labeling myself. Socially pretty liberal; Like some government intervention but not to excess. Still believe in personal responsibility but also have a heart for those less fortunate. I guess I'm middle of the road on AVERAGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies