Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts claiming 1/2 a % point & .6% of the total. Sounds like spin & fuzzy Math to me. Post a link. Show me something. Why should I take a lawyers word for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
I see a lot of posts claiming 1/2 a % point & .6% of the total. Sounds like spin & fuzzy Math to me. Post a link. Show me something. Why should I take a lawyers word for it?
Lawyers hafta study ethics in law school.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Pocketed "profits" from tort reform? Of course we have, you dolt! If you pay lower premiums, we just don't take that money and throw it away.
Nor is it applied to lowering the cost of health care.

With tort reform, you, as a physician, make more money for having less responsiblitiy and your customer has less recourse for relief if they have a grievance.

What a sweetheart deal. I think I'd like that, too, if I were you.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 AM

272 posts, read 215,893 times
One has nothing to do with the other. It is a statistical comparison of apples and oranges. Just because hyperbole is shouted with conviction doesnt make it true or relevant.

Again, what does the cost of a Physicians Malpractice premium have to do woth the IT administrator at a Phameceutical company that naps in a restroom stall?

Quote:
Here is what it means to you- genius. When malpractice premiums rise, physicians take measures to cut those costs. How is that done? Premiums are reduced if doctors drop priveledges for high risk procedures, such that Obstetricians refuse to do deliveries and only do gynecology. As a result, women can travel many miles to see someone who will do deliveries anymore. Keep in mind that this is how our frined John Edwards made his millions. Neurosurgeons (you know those fellows who pull blood clots out of our brains and remove brain tumors?) refuse to do intracranial work and limit thier practice to spine. Therefore, whole communities no longer have access to intracranial neurosurgical care and have to be airlifted to an area providing that service (usually at a loss). General surgeons refuse to do pediatric volvulus, gastroschesis, and even simple pyloric stenosis due to risk. I personally have banned intrathecal morphine pumps (usually used for cancer pain) due to malpractice rates.

So how does it affect a union dishwasher's wage? It reduces thier wage due to the increased cost of healthcare. Unions negotiate package deals, with trade offs of pay changes vs changes in benefits. That union dishwasher is getting screwed by the John Edwards's of America, as they are taking wages out of thier pocket, shunting it to the Trial Lawyers Association, courtesy of increased healthcare costs. They are the biggest thieves in America, and the problem is that for some reason, people turn their angst towards physicians, instead of the scum attorneys who just stole 10% of a working man's paycheck.

We physcians provide a service to improve your health. Lawyers steal from you. You choose.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Nor is it applied to lowering the cost of health care.

With tort reform, you, as a physician, make more money for having less responsiblitiy and your customer has less recourse for relief if they have a grievance.

What a sweetheart deal. I think I'd like that, too, if I were you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................

Let me repeat. Tort reform helps me very little, it helps you alot. Again, if I do not have to over order all the tests I currently over order, it cuts health care expenses dramatically. Expenditures fall, and premiums for the insured will fall as well, due to competition. Currently, "cheaper" health insurance is cheaper due to lower costs- denying coverage. Cut costs (estimated 200 billion due to over ordering tests to CYA) and reduce premiums.

Hey, if you want to feed the lawyers and see your health care costs rise, it is okay with me. It does not affect me one bit and for myself, I really don't care. $20K extra for malpractice is nothing to me. 200 billion for the nation is alot. This is not about saving money for docs, it is about saving money for you. However, the public is too dull witted to understand this, as the Trial Lawyers have pulled the wool over their eyes and diverted attention from themselves. They are the champions of the people- right.........................Here is the choice-

Feed the lawyers- you starve

Starve the lawyers- you prosper

I am amazed at all the twits who love lawyers and do not realize that they are stealing directly from your families and crippling industry. Wake up.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:

I am amazed at all the twits who love lawyers and do not realize that they are stealing directly from your families and crippling industry. Wake up.
Change "lawyers" to "insurance companies" and I could have made the same statement.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Tort reform is such a red herring. Malpractice is 1/2 % of overall medical costs.

Yes but all the tests and observation periods and extra 'risk management' cme is much more than 1/2% of medical costs.

And don't tell me tests are not ordered for cya (cover your ass). I can't tell you how many times we've had to turn our brains off and order things because 'that's how things are done' and you'd better do it 'just in case.'

Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Lawyers hafta study ethics in law school.
So they know how to sidestep them.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So they know how to sidestep them.
Thanks for completing the thought - I didn't want to be the bad boy.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Change "lawyers" to "insurance companies" and I could have made the same statement.

Hey- I am not a big fan of insurance companies either and have not defended them.

The fact remains that the Trial Lawyers Association is RIPPING YOU OFF. You are paying increased health care premiums as a result of thier piracy, as increases in the health care system are passed off to YOU, the policy holder. Who do you think pays for all those unnecessary tests that I order to cover myself from the parasites? You do- not me.

Hey, if you want to blow your dough that way, it is okay with me. I don't care too much one way or another, as it does not affect me personally very much. The US, on the other hand, is crippled by these vultures and it is costing EVERYONE to support such piracy.

Let your representative know when you are tired of being bled white. Oops- he is probably an attorney and will not give a damn.

When you get your "national healthcare", the sad thing is that your premiums and taxes will continue to rise as you will not have addressed the two major problems with the system-

Lawyers
Fee for service medicine

Change those and you fix the system. Ignore them and you can do whatever you want- the system will still be costly and costs will continue to rise. But, since you like lawyers so much, you will just pay them more and more. That will make them very happy and they will probably send you a Christmas card for your support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies