Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
I don't know if this rule can be applied to everyone in the military, but throughout my life I have known many people in all branches of the military and almost all of them have said that most, NOT ALL, of the people in the military support Republican politicians, policies, and candidates. Even the black people I know in the military did not support Chairman 0bama.
The military attracts uncivilized individuals who place a low value on human life, believe diplomacy is for pansies and that brute force is omnipotent, and so does the Republican Party. So that would stand to reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
I don't know if this rule can be applied to everyone in the military, but throughout my life I have known many people in all branches of the military and almost all of them have said that most, NOT ALL, of the people in the military support Republican politicians, policies, and candidates. Even the black people I know in the military did not support Chairman 0bama.

Are there any statistics on whether or not the military supports one party over another?
Not Me! And I'm retired Military.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,840 times
Default It's the money

A lot of guys I talked with while I was in the Army voted Republican on the old belief that Republicans give the military big pay raises. My rebuttal was in three parts:

-Congress, not the President, gives military pay raises
-Previous Democratic administrations have also given pay raises
-It would be political suicide not to approve a pay raise in light of the two-front war.

This all fell on deaf ears. Many in the military believe Republicans=more money. And to be frank, the military (at least the Army) is made up of a lot of good ol' boys that got excited whenever Bush talked from the "western" white house and drove around in a pick-up truck talking about guns.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
So does the US military support chickenhawks like Limbaugh, Hannity and all those rah rah politicians who were too important for their bodies to be risked when their time came ?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The military attracts uncivilized individuals who place a low value on human life, believe diplomacy is for pansies and that brute force is omnipotent, and so does the Republican Party. So that would stand to reason.
And you have links to support such a claim?
I as a vet will address this just a bit.
Attracts uncivilized individuals who place a low value on human life. Seems to me Toys for tots says otherwise. The volunteer efforts of military personnel on leave to help third world villages speaks otherwise.
The crime rate among those who serve is lower than most if not all large cities.
Believe that diplomacy is for pansies. No what we despise is when politicians send us in to harms way with impossible rules of engagement. Beirut Lebanon for example. Somalia for another. LBJ's approach. Make a list of targets and their priority. Bomb the lowest priority targets first.
Fly a sortie with 1 bomb under the wing. Risking our lives for the weakest of reasons. No we would rather that diplomacy worked every time. I don't know a single combat vet that enjoyed getting shot at.
So does the republican party? Well 1 reason those who serve prefer the republicans is the fact that republicans will buy the best weapons systems that money can buy. The USS Eisenhower CVN-69 commissioned under Carter. Korean war vintage missile system for self defence. USS Carl Vincent. CVN-70 Commissioned under Reagan. Nato Sea sparrow missile system, Phalanx anti missile system. Carter cut weapons upgrades Reagan the opposite.
If you had to go into battle wouldn't you prefer the latest the greatest and the best? After all for any who serve that is the reality.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So does the US military support chickenhawks like Limbaugh, Hannity and all those rah rah politicians who were too important for their bodies to be risked when their time came ?
Hmmm Can't speak for all but. Most that I know find Rush amusing but really don't believe his line. Most see politicians for what they are. Do as I say but not as I do types.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:02 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
According to some Democratic politicians, our troops are murders or they terrorize innocent Iraqis in the dead of the night. Some Democratic politicians even went so far as to tell members of the US Marines that they were unwanted and unwelcomed intruders in their city. You had public school teachers in Maine verbally harassing their students whose parents were going off to Iraq, a soldier marching in an Independence Day parade in Bainbridge, WA booed and called a child killer and murderer, public school teachers and college professors actively protesting and trying to prevent military recruiters from coming on campus and shouting them down when they do, and then there were all those anti-war protest that had such nice and flattering things to say about our nation's military. Yep, Democrats really support our nations military,...NOT!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And you have links to support such a claim?
I as a vet will address this just a bit.
Attracts uncivilized individuals who place a low value on human life. Seems to me Toys for tots says otherwise. The volunteer efforts of military personnel on leave to help third world villages speaks otherwise.
The crime rate among those who serve is lower than most if not all large cities.
Believe that diplomacy is for pansies. No what we despise is when politicians send us in to harms way with impossible rules of engagement. Beirut Lebanon for example. Somalia for another. LBJ's approach. Make a list of targets and their priority. Bomb the lowest priority targets first.
Fly a sortie with 1 bomb under the wing. Risking our lives for the weakest of reasons. No we would rather that diplomacy worked every time. I don't know a single combat vet that enjoyed getting shot at.
So does the republican party? Well 1 reason those who serve prefer the republicans is the fact that republicans will buy the best weapons systems that money can buy. The USS Eisenhower CVN-69 commissioned under Carter. Korean war vintage missile system for self defence. USS Carl Vincent. CVN-70 Commissioned under Reagan. Nato Sea sparrow missile system, Phalanx anti missile system. Carter cut weapons upgrades Reagan the opposite.
If you had to go into battle wouldn't you prefer the latest the greatest and the best? After all for any who serve that is the reality.
So why rifles chambering the 5.56 round ?
The Republicans had eight years to change to a decent rifle cardridge (6.5 Grendel ?) yet nothing was done.
Pretty sad they need to drag old M14s out of storage to have one rifle in the squad capable of being of use past three hundred metres.

When the 5.56 round came out we were told it was the all singing all dancing round.
Strange is it not that the US needed to get GPMGs (240s) in Nato 7.62 to get a bit of medium range fire power.

Or should I not be cynical about the poor damn grunt being overlooked when it comes to better gear ?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:

Are there any statistics on whether or not the military supports one party over another?
Seems rather split down the middle, at least the people I know.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
According to some Democratic politicians, our troops are murders or they terrorize innocent Iraqis in the dead of the night. Some Democratic politicians even went so far as to tell members of the US Marines that they were unwanted and unwelcomed intruders in their city. You had public school teachers in Maine verbally harassing their students whose parents were going off to Iraq, a soldier marching in an Independence Day parade in Bainbridge, WA booed and called a child killer and murderer, public school teachers and college professors actively protesting and trying to prevent military recruiters from coming on campus and shouting them down when they do, and then there were all those anti-war protest that had such nice and flattering things to say about our nation's military. Yep, Democrats really support our nations military,...NOT!
Hyperbole for Dummies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies