Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Who said that? I have no problem helping people who lost their jobs with health care costs I do NOT however think I should have to help those that just live way beyond their means then expect me to save them when something happens.

I have when my first son was 3 months old my husband was laid off we had to pay over $900.00 per month in Cobra, we had saved our money and NOT lived beyond what we had so we were able to pay it until he found another job. So I have been there.
And apparently no preexisting conditions.

My point on the first quote is that there are many folks that DO NOT live beyond their means that can NOT get insurance after they lose their job.

What are you going to do for them? You can't even help pay their premiums if a company won't insure them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
here's another one...just to the end of their nose and NO farther!

Do you have ANY idea of what happens when so many people file bankruptcy and lose their homes?

ANY?

It has far reaching effects...like YOUR home value goes down as homes are foreclosed on in your neighborhood....and other neighborhoods...

Life really does go beyond "you".

What the hell are you talking about and how does this have anything to do with what I wrote?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Who said that? I have no problem helping people who lost their jobs with health care costs I do NOT however think I should have to help those that just live way beyond their means then expect me to save them when something happens.

I have when my first son was 3 months old my husband was laid off we had to pay over $900.00 per month in Cobra, we had saved our money and NOT lived beyond what we had so we were able to pay it until he found another job. So I have been there.
How do you KNOW they were living beyond their means? I nearly bankrupted my parents with my disorder, but luckily we were able to get insurance coverage from her job. My parents definitely did not live beyond their means and had nearly $30,000 in their savings (they wanted to buy another house) and that was completely wiped out in 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS of staying in a hospital because of an emergency splenectomy I had completely wiped out all of their savings. What then?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:

And by the way, you are thinking about yourself because it appears that you think that you had it worse off than anyone else that wasn't living beyond their means.... so therefore, if you could make it, anyone could.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
And apparently no preexisting conditions.

My point on the first quote is that there are many folks that DO NOT live beyond their means that can NOT get insurance after they lose their job.
As I said in my post I have NO problem helping people like this. Give them health insurance until they find a job, fine by me I will pay for that.

Quote:
What are you going to do for them? You can't even help pay their premiums if a company won't insure them.

I do think we should have laws preventing insurance companies from rejecting anyone.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
How do you KNOW they were living beyond their means? I nearly bankrupted my parents with my disorder, but luckily we were able to get insurance coverage from her job. My parents definitely did not live beyond their means and had nearly $30,000 in their savings (they wanted to buy another house) and that was completely wiped out in 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS of staying in a hospital because of an emergency splenectomy I had completely wiped out all of their savings. What then?

I am not talking about people with medical issues I am talking about people who live beyond their means than claim bankruptcy.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
And by the way, you are thinking about yourself because it appears that you think that you had it worse off than anyone else that wasn't living beyond their means.... so therefore, if you could make it, anyone could.

WHAT?!?!??! You are seriously off the mark, I was simply telling an issue I had with health coverage.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Do you have ANY idea of what happens when so many people file bankruptcy and lose their homes?
Are you aware that one does NOT automatically lose their home when they file bankruptcy?

Are you aware that one does not "lose everything" when one files bankruptcy?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I am not talking about people with medical issues I am talking about people who live beyond their means than claim bankruptcy.
But you're assuming that everyone who files bankruptcy due to a medical issue is living beyond their means, which is completely untrue.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
As I said in my post I have NO problem helping people like this. Give them health insurance until they find a job, fine by me I will pay for that.

I do think we should have laws preventing insurance companies from rejecting anyone.
Quote:
WHAT?!?!??! You are seriously off the mark, I was simply telling an issue I had with health coverage.
And I guess what I'm saying is that you appear to be using your experience as the yard stick everyone else should be able to meet no matter what their experience has been.

Ok.... and I appreciate the other above response.

But I have to say, I don't see Dick Armey, Betsy McCaughy or Tim Phillips finding a solution to this problem. All I see is them trying to keep the status quo... because they benefit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies