Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Same people probably try to deny gravity.
Yeah, I've met some who also deny gravity. I was at a fair and some fundamentalist group had a stand set up trying to convert people. They denied pretty much anything scientific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 AM

192 posts, read 219,820 times
I believe in intelijunt dezine.

Common creationist questions:

How could evolution have taken millions of years if the world is only 6,000 years old?

If we evolved from monkey, then why are there still monkeys?

LOL.

Here's a video, it's a parody, I promise you.

YouTube - Public Service Announcement from Charles Darwin

Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Creationism and Evolution are not necessarily mutually exclusive. When one believes in a creator of life, numerous methods are available for creating and developing life that may, or may not, involve the creator after the initial jump to biological life. When one denies the possibility of a creator existing, the option can only be Evolution, but with a very limited set of possibilities for its initial jump to life and further development that can only occur through random mutation and natural selection. The problem for those who promote Evolution, as presented in our public schools, is selling what is actually thinly veiled Atheism as scientific fact. To exclude the possibility of a creator being involved in the development of life on Earth is not based on science but a conclusion before the facts. This sort of Evolutionary science has become our quasi state religion of Atheism based not in fact, but need.

What an amazing post. It is very rare that I read posts on here that have such insight and have no bashing at all, this is one of those time. Bravo! Rep sent to ya.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Creationism and Evolution are not necessarily mutually exclusive. When one believes in a creator of life, numerous methods are available for creating and developing life that may, or may not, involve the creator after the initial jump to biological life. When one denies the possibility of a creator existing, the option can only be Evolution, but with a very limited set of possibilities for its initial jump to life and further development that can only occur through random mutation and natural selection. The problem for those who promote Evolution, as presented in our public schools, is selling what is actually thinly veiled Atheism as scientific fact. To exclude the possibility of a creator being involved in the development of life on Earth is not based on science but a conclusion before the facts. This sort of Evolutionary science has become our quasi state religion of Atheism based not in fact, but need.
This is not the feeling I get from Christianity. I have been told over and over that if you don't believe in every single word, from a literal interpretation of the Bible that you are going straight to Hell. I read it on a daily basis from Christians. Christians can not believe in evolution or they are going to Hell. Christians can not believe homosexuality is not a sin or they are going to Hell. Christians can not read Harry Potter or they are going to Hell. Christians can not support democrats as political candidates or they are going to Hell. Christians can not use any Bible other than the King James Bible or they are going to Hell.

I thought being a Christian meant believing in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour and following his word. Now, come to find, that there are all of these other rules put in place that I hadn't heard of until recent years.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times
Quote:
Couldn't a higher spirit been behind evolution? I don't believe that but it's possible, isn't it? So I don't see how evolution is preaching atheism... it's science. If you wish to believe that a higher power was behind it, fine, just don't teach in a science class a theological belief.

And from the Dover School Board design decision:
Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District - Wikisource
  • For the reasons that follow, we conclude that the religious nature of ID [intelligent design] would be readily apparent to an objective observer, adult or child. (page 24)
  • A significant aspect of the IDM [intelligent design movement] is that despite Defendants' protestations to the contrary, it describes ID as a religious argument. In that vein, the writings of leading ID proponents reveal that the designer postulated by their argument is the God of Christianity. (page 26)
  • The evidence at trial demonstrates that ID is nothing less than the progeny of creationism. (page 31)
  • The overwhelming evidence at trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory. (page 43)
  • Throughout the trial and in various submissions to the Court, Defendants vigorously argue that the reading of the statement is not â€teaching’ ID but instead is merely â€making students aware of it.’ In fact, one consistency among the Dover School Board members' testimony, which was marked by selective memories and outright lies under oath, as will be discussed in more detail below, is that they did not think they needed to be knowledgeable about ID because it was not being taught to the students. We disagree. (footnote 7 on page 46)
  • After a searching review of the record and applicable caselaw, we find that while ID arguments may be true, a proposition on which the Court takes no position, ID is not science. We find that ID fails on three different levels, any one of which is sufficient to preclude a determination that ID is science. They are: (1) ID violates the centuries-old ground rules of science by invoking and permitting supernatural causation; (2) the argument of irreducible complexity, central to ID, employs the same flawed and illogical contrived dualism that doomed creation science in the 1980's; and (3) ID's negative attacks on evolution have been refuted by the scientific community. (page 64)
  • [T]he one textbook [Pandas] to which the Dover ID Policy directs students contains outdated concepts and flawed science, as recognized by even the defense experts in this case. (pages 86–87)
  • ID's backers have sought to avoid the scientific scrutiny which we have now determined that it cannot withstand by advocating that the controversy, but not ID itself, should be taught in science class. This tactic is at best disingenuous, and at worst a canard. The goal of the IDM is not to encourage critical thought, but to foment a revolution which would supplant evolutionary theory with ID. (page 89)
  • Accordingly, we find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a pretext for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in the public school classroom, in violation of the Establishment Clause. (page 132)

Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
The trouble with creationism is that it is a projected patriarchcal centricism of the male fundamentalists.

Kind of a biased personifying-for-transfer of God power to only 50% of believers.

Everyone knows that only the female of the species can create new life, though admitted by many, they can't do it alone.

Ah, sometimes a great notion!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
Christians can not believe in evolution or they are going to Hell.
I grew up in NYC and went to a Catholic high school and we learned about Darwin and evolution in science class. One can believe both..they are not mutually exclusive.

And the Bible is a book of stories. The 7 days of creation could have easily been 7 thousands of years of creation with evolution as part.

Some groups of christians deny evolution but I wouldn't say ALL.
Catholics are christians.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I grew up in NYC and went to a Catholic high school and we learned about Darwin and evolution in science class. One can believe both..they are not mutually exclusive.

And the Bible is a book of stories. The 7 days of creation could have easily been 7 thousands of years of creation with evolution as part.

Some groups of christians deny evolution but I wouldn't say ALL.
Catholics are christians.

Well, fundamentalist protestants say otherwise. And they are the most vocal about their opposition to anything evolution related. They are also very vocal about their hatred for the Catholic Church. According to them, you're going to Hell.

Even though I don't believe in God, if I did I would probably be a fundamentalist because most of the things they say are actually in the Bible. Fred Phelps probably follows the Bible more closely than any Christian I know.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,826 times
Quote:
This is not the feeling I get from Christianity. I have been told over and over that if you don't believe in every single word, from a literal interpretation of the Bible that you are going straight to Hell. I read it on a daily basis from Christians. Christians can not believe in evolution or they are going to Hell. Christians can not believe homosexuality is not a sin or they are going to Hell. Christians can not read Harry Potter or they are going to Hell. Christians can not support democrats as political candidates or they are going to Hell. Christians can not use any Bible other than the King James Bible or they are going to Hell.

I thought being a Christian meant believing in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour and following his word. Now, come to find, that there are all of these other rules put in place that I hadn't heard of until recent years.

I have never been told which Bible I had to "follow". I am a Christian and believe in Jesus and do believe that you have to accept Jesus BUT I also think that when the end of your life comes you will be given one last chance to accept Him. I don't believe that God would turn away a truly good person because they were confused while living. I have taken heat from many Christians because I don't agree with the "in your face" types and I don't agree that I am here to "judge" anyone. I feel that if I live life in a way that please God I will be blessed and people will see that and want it in their lives also. As for rules when it comes right down to it the Bible is nothing but one person's interpretation of God's word. I try to follow the 10 Commandments and the do unto others the rest IMO was created as a way to control people and that I disagree with.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:

All those "other rules" were put in place by organized religions.
You don't need to belong to an organized religion to follow the Bible.
I'm Catholic but I don't believe in the "organized" part of it. You can surely see there's plenty of greed, corruption, underhandedness in organized religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies