Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote everyone in Congress out, what would you do?
Toss them all out! 72 80.00%
Keep them all. 2 2.22%
Not sure. 1 1.11%
Other. 15 16.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Every year this sort of poll comes and and every poll that asks the same people who they feel about their Congressman and they couldn't be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 03:58 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
We'd lose a FEW good senators and congressmen, but if you want term limits they'd mostly be out by now anyway. And how many good or better representatives have been prevented from taking office? No, get rid of the lot of them and start over.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

What we need are REAL leaders. Leaders who aren't afraid to tell the american people to shut up, because they don't know all the details. Of course, you've got to pick that kind of leader very carefully. The Bush administration did a lot of that, but their approach was all wrong.
So did Jimmy Carter whose presidency was also a failure (in a different and more benign way than Bush's)

Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM

247 posts, read 379,976 times
@odinloki1 --
Though replacing Wall Street wouldn't hurt my feelings, it's something that we're not able to do by election process. However, we can elect people to office that would like to regulate Wall Street. That's a good place to start.

@evilnewbie --
I agree, that if we're going to vote them out we'd need to make sure they're not allowed to run for Congress again ever. That's why term limits are needed. They're what also keep the President from being able to run for more than 2 terms. It should be the same for State Senators as well.

@ovcatto --
I've never participated in a vote thread like this so it's interesting to me to see the results. I've been career military all of my adult life. I've spent tours of duty in several countries, most recently Korea, then two back-to-back tours in Iraq.

Just 3 weeks before my scheduled retirement I lost both legs in Iraq. They sent me home 2 months ago. Now I am more interested in politics than ever because too many young men & women are coming back from government sponsored actions with limbs missing, or they're coming back in a pine box. The voice of reason has to prevail somewhere and it starts with the individuals we elect at the city and state government levels.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
The problem with congress is the fact that too many of them are party hardliners. They forget that they are there to represent the voter not the party..
Then you have lazy voters who vote party line regardless of the encumbants record.
Then you have fearful voters who fear change. Yeah the guy sucks but atleast we know him! Way to vote...
Its sad that we americans waste our hard won freedoms on such as those who live fat on the tax payer dollar.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
One aspect that was not hit on was pork and money that the leaders get for their district.Go to your congressmen/woman website and I am sure they are bragging about getting 25 million for a dam project,bike trail etc etc.Look at the king of pork and a despicable person Jack Murtha who won a election over a good person who was a Iraqi vet{Russell}.The people of that district knows Murtha will bring back the pork why would they cut their own throats? these same imbeciles most likely b**** about the deficit being 12 trillion
One of the forefathers said something to the effect that liberty would be in trouble once the electorate could be bribed with their own money.I think we have arrived at that stage.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM

@reid_g -- I agree with that too! If you go to NumbersUSA you can find all the information you want about every senator/congress person that you wish -- from voting records, to how much p0rk money they've taken during their careers.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
According to a Rasmussen Report, only 25% of the American voters would keep the congress the way it is. The rest of the voters want to throw them all out and start over again.

Source: Rasmussen Reports
But when you ask them about their own congressman, they're thrilled with them. Which is why it's so hard to believe these polls.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
With whom would you replace them all? I can think of very few people I know personally that I would elect to a position of such power.

I'm disatisfied with congress, but a large part of it is due to the American public. People who want a pure democracy in this country are seeing just that now. Congressmen and women are playing in a popularity contest. They read the polls, and only say what people want to hear.

What we need are REAL leaders. Leaders who aren't afraid to tell the american people to shut up, because they don't know all the details. Of course, you've got to pick that kind of leader very carefully. The Bush administration did a lot of that, but their approach was all wrong.
I take it you haven't heard Nasty Nancy Peeloosly talking about how Congress knows best and we know nothing. How about the nice lady, Maxine Waters who has already said they plan to socialize everything. Why yes she did say that.

It is that kind people that we need to get rid of.

I want to see term limits of say one for Senators and two for Representatives. Surely there are that many intelligent people in this nation that can take some time off to pass laws. All the aides could be kept by the incoming people as advisors, but get rid of those fools who play the political games.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM

@mackinac81 -- If they asked me about my own Congressmen, I'd definitely say I'm not happy with them. Our local reps here are the biggest ship of crooks and fools I've ever seen. They take Lobbyist money, and think it's OK. They sneak p0rk projects through hidden in 1000s of pages of a bill that's completely unrelated to the p0rk they're sneaking through.

This sh*t has to stop. I mean really, aren't you fed up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies