Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Yes, because humans should really model their behaviour towards one another on the behaviour of canines and felines.

If you think it's okay to like your nationality, how can you possibly judge someone who feels more comfortable with their own ethnicity? You may not be two peas in a pod, but you are two black cooking instruments.

If anything, your cat and dog analogy works better for ethnicity than for nationality.
What does a person intend to "practice", regarding his ethnicity? What exactly, are you suggesting would he need to make him feel 'comfortable'? When have I ever suggested not allowing this? Does the person wish to eat what he wants? GREAT! Listen to his favorite music? FINE! Name his kid an 'ethnic' name? Aren't ALL names 'ethnic'? What's wrong with that? Got an interesting recipe? BRING it ON!! Who's arguing with THAT?

If you're suggesting religious violence, wife-beating, 'selling' of teenage girls into marriage with older men...blood feuds...or honor killings...then no, I don't advocate THOSE sort of 'ethnic practices' at all. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,684 times
Default "Race"...... Above All Else For Some......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Damn...great post...Bravo
Greeting's,
This is a most interesting and encouraging post regarding the current unfortunate insanity of the "Race Game" which is in process of destroying America at this time!!!

As can be deduced from many of the posts in reference to this topic
there are far too many who live.... breath ..... and continually perpetuate
the "Race Issue" above all else.....

You may rest assured that America's many powerful enemies around the world are closely watching the current dangerous and nationally weakening effects of the constant and insidious "Racial" uproar which is festering within so many different camps..... It is a certainty that these enemies have many plans for an America which appears to willingly focus on absolutely nothing but "Race" to the exclusion of all else.....

Think "Seriously" about the dire consequences associated with the distractions of the "Race Game"......... And Remember .......
It matters not if the President is an embarassment to great numbers of Americans...... It matters not about the Presidents "Race"..........What truly matters is what you and I can do to unify this great nation into the formidable, resolute, proud and indivisible nation that will continue to meet and successfully overcome any challenge within or on the world stage....

It is well beyond the time when America's insidious "Race Game" has been permanently laid to rest.... yes.... for all eternity !!!

May we act quickly in the accomplishment of this priority goal !!!!!

Remember our enemies are eagerly watching for our answer on this most important issue......If we fail in this tremendous undertaking and allow our beloved nation to implode upon itself as a result of our inability to act..... it is a certainty that our many global enemies have specific plans for all Americans....... and what "Race" we are..... will matter not in their methods of carrying out of these..... "Specific Plans"........................... Thank You L. F.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As a minority, I think its terrible that our first minority President is someone with such a radical background and politics and such an inability to understand, identify with, or communicate with mainstream America...

I think ALL of us truly need to put race and ethnicity behind us and realize that we are all Americans before we're anything else.
You sure know your way to put race and ethnicity behind, having started this thread. Having said that, what I see in your is a radical right winger, who can't stand anything that the country voted for. To quote Jon Stewart: "I think you might be confusing tyranny with losing."

Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well....I don't know. We had a WHITE man recently, who many people not ONLY thought wasn't smart enough to be President.....he couldn't even pronounce "nuclear". Personally, I think we should get an illegal immigrant to be President of the US....he couldn't do the job any worse than some of the ones we've had, but he'd at least do it a lot cheaper.....

Ummm... no one thought he was incompetant because he was White. Big difference

Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I honestly don't think she realized what she was saying was offensive. She's my friend's grandmother and has always been very nice to me but her comments have always been a little off. When she met my mom and found out she was married she said "oh good for you!"

I've never really said anything to her because I don't believe her intenion is to hurt my feelings or insult me so I let it go - plus she's old
I understand, but prejudice is prejudice. The intention doesn't really matter. It's unintentional prejudice that, to me, is far more problematic than intentional. Intentional -- then you know you are an idiot and we can avoid you at all costs. Unintentional can cause way more damage.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Today..I'm not sure that there is a "big" difference. Obviously, more people were impressed with Obama than with McCain....and had Colin Powell run, I believe he'd have won by a landslide. Obama MAY be black....but his politics are a little 'out there', too, for many people. Obviously, though, his 'color' didn't override his popularity.

"Big" difference? Perhaps....but not as "big" as in the past.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Anyone who disgrees with this poster is racist. Sound familiar?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Actually, no. You're just making stuff up.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Hard to say, because "racist" has no antonym...(other than "not a racist")....

'Impartial'?....'unracist'?....."cool"....'inclusi ve'?.......seems that NONE of these terms pack quite the punch of 'racist'. It's a powerful term.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
But many people made remarks about his "silver spoon" upbringing - which folks also did with his father, GHWBush. So b/c he was white, he was put down by disparaging his class - not his race. This was done regularly by folks of both races who didn't like Bush. I heard many people say that didn't like him b/c he had a "privileged" background and had everything handed to him. That was their only reason for disliking Bush - at least, at the time of his first election. People found plenty of reasons to dislike him later, lol.

I think being prejudiced about someone's class fits into the same category as being prejudiced about someone's race. After all, we are born into both situations. We don't get to pick our family of origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies