Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are many people who do want a real discussion and to learn about different perspectives on an issues, even if that discussion sometimes gets drowned out by folks on the periphery.

I did assume it was only a "few" people who were racist. And I still hope that is correct. But after seeing some of the signs folks were holding, I have wondered.
I think there's a lot of unintentional racism. I know an older white lady (late 60's, early 70’s) who said she was concerned about Obama because she didn't think a black man was smart enough to be the POTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM

145 posts, read 171,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Yay let's stand together and support each other's inferiority complexes!!!!

As a human being, this post embarrasses me.

Why would Black people support Aztlan? I'm Latina and I dont support Aztlan. They're the brown version of white nationalists. OH YEAH--- WE MUST BLAME EVERYTHING ON WHITE PEOPLE AT ALLL TIMES I FORGOT
Wrong on all counts.

Of course there are some Mexicans that wouldn't support Aztlan, just as there were Blacks that didn't support the Black liberation movement. My first post ITT deals with your kind quite well though, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think there's a lot of unintentional racism. I know an older white lady (late 60's, early 70’s) who said she was concerned about Obama because she didn't think a black man was smart enough to be the POTUS.

Curious, what's unintentional about her prejudice?

Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I honestly don't think she realized what she was saying was offensive. She's my friend's grandmother and has always been very nice to me but her comments have always been a little off. When she met my mom and found out she was married she said "oh good for you!"

I've never really said anything to her because I don't believe her intenion is to hurt my feelings or insult me so I let it go - plus she's old

Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As a minority, I think its terrible that our first minority President is someone with such a radical background and politics and such an inability to understand, identify with, or communicate with mainstream America. I am embarassed by people like Barack and Michelle Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Henry Louis Gates, Sonia Sotomayor, Kanye West/Beyonce, and the illegal immigrant protestors who waved Mexican and Central American flags on our soil. I really wished our first minority president had been someone like Michael Steele, Bobby Jindal or Colin Powell.

Obama's election is fostering more and more divisions in our country and emboldens and "empowers" racist and separatist people with a chip on their shoulder like Gates and Kanye. Kanye West is a racist who believes Beyonce shoulda won even though she has no talent, because they despise country music and the culture it represents, he played that same stunt when he stormed off the stage when he lost to Gretchen Wilson a couple years back. He was also the one who ran his mouth about Bush not caring about black people. Now I was born in New Orleans and and proud of that city and the South but honestly I think the media attention to the poor of New Orleans was disproportionate compared to the other victims in the rural coastal towns in Louisiana and Mississippi who actually helped one another out and did not loot and kill one another. The rest of the coast has been overshadowed, and most of the New Orleans area was overlooked by the media in comparison to the Lower 9th Ward. Runs counter to Kanye's statements.

I am not Asian American or Chinese American. I am an unhyphenated American of Chinese ancestry, that is how I see myself. People complain about how after 9-11 people blamed American Muslims of sympathizing with the terrorists. Now I know msot did not but that is hard to convince people when for years they have been all about Islamic and ethnic pride and openly resisting assimilation. I think people like Sonia Sotomayor, Wrigt, etc do a disserve to those African Americans, Hispanic Americans and other minorities who are Americans first and do not put our racial community or countries of origin before America.

I identify with people who share my culture, outlook, religion and values regardless of their skin color. People like Kanye, Michelle, Wright and Gates should stop having a chip on their shoulder and thinking that race is the thing that matters most. Gates provoked the confrontation with the officer, anyone of any race who behaved in that fashion would have been arrested. He sees himself as a prominent and distinguihsed scholar, well act like one Dr. Gates! In fact many people in the ghetto behave more intelligently when faced with the police.

I think as a minority if we want to be accepted as equals and as part of mainstream American adn not be distrusted we need to ACT LIKE IT. We should act like we are just Americans and not emphasize race. I spent the summer down South and the vast majority of white people I have encountered and talked to really want to move on and say it is blacks and others who want to foster divisions, birng up the past, ask for special treatment, they are the ones who racialized the Obama election and some of what the media reported as racist acts (while they indeed are wrong and should be punished) have actually been provoked by some individuals' racism on their own part and the arrogance they displayed regarding how "their people are in charge now". Gates probably hates being called black and insists on African American. Is he from Africa? Does he speak any African languages? In my grad school the day Obama was inaugurated an African American girl came in a full tribal African costume saying she wants to celebrate that day. It was a mix of elements from all over Africa and people actually from specific African countries found it laughable and ignorant.

I also hate it when SOME legal Hispanic and Asian American go march and show support for illegal immigrants. Illegal immigration benefits the Third World countires and the ethnic communities but hurts our country as a whole. I also do not like how American Muslims are so activist about hating Israel and asking for special treatment that other groups don't get.

I think ALL of us truly need to put race and ethnicity behind us and realize that we are all Americans before we're anything else.
Damn...great post...Bravo

Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babby pueblo View Post
Telling minorities to ignore race is about the most ignorant, stupid idea ever. If anything, minorities need to be more perceptive of race. We as minorities should first acknowledge that we all come from different cultures and different places and we've all been discriminated against in different ways but in America we're all second class citizens therefore we should stand in solidarity with each others movements. Hispanics should support Black nationalism, Blacks should support Aztlan, I could go on and on here but to save time let's just say minorities should support everything that is detrimental to the health of this white settler nation.
If all minoroites supported what you said, you'd be run right out of town in a heartbeat.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,480 times
Quote:
Telling minorities to ignore race is about the most ignorant, stupid idea ever. If anything, minorities need to be more perceptive of race. We as minorities should first acknowledge that we all come from different cultures and different places and we've all been discriminated against in different ways but in America we're all second class citizens therefore we should stand in solidarity with each others movements. Hispanics should support Black nationalism, Blacks should support Aztlan, I could go on and on here but to save time let's just say minorities should support everything that is detrimental to the health of this white settler nation.
If all minoroites supported what you said, you'd be run right out of town in a heartbeat. By the way, what you wrote is extremely racist to the Nth degree.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,912,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I've heard the same type of statement from people who are in their 70s and older. If you call attention to their 'racist' remark, they will fervently deny that they are racist. They don't see a thing wrong with saying a black man isn't smart enough to be POTUS.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I understand what you mean about it being "unintentional." She is a product of her upbringing and has never been challenged to examine her beliefs. If you asked her if she disliked black people she would doubtless say "Of course not. I have known many nice black folks. People are people." And that is what she THINKS she believes. She has never examined that she also thinks black men are often criminals and the ones who aren't are big exceptions to the rule, such as Colin Powell . . . and that most black women have children out of wedlock . . . and that anyone who is black and has a professional degree probably got it "handed" to them b/c of affirmative action.

I know a lot of folks like this lady. She is benign in her lack of understanding. You are right to think she is harmless. She just doesn't realize that so much of what she absorbed about people who are different from her was based on stereotypes and bias.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,587 times
Quote:
Wrong on all counts.

Of course there are some Mexicans that wouldn't support Aztlan, just as there were Blacks that didn't support the Black liberation movement. My first post ITT deals with your kind quite well though, so I'll leave it at that.
haha and tell me what "kind" is that? The smarter than you kind? People like you are a joke.

Tell me do you think this "Aztlan" will actually happen? Please present to me how you are any different than a white nationalist. Will Blacks and Asians be allowed in this new promised land you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies