Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

184 posts, read 509,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Ask FedEx or UPS to deliver something for 44¢.

Ok. Oh wait, they can't because the USPS won't let them. The government grants the USPS a monopoly on letter delivery and it is ILLEGAL for anyone other than USPS to deliver letters to your mailbox. If the USPS is so great, why do they need a special law to compete? The answer? They would be bankrupt without it. UPS and FedEx could easily deliver a letter for less than .44, but the USPS can't compete so they cheat by making laws against the competition. Americans are being screwed and most of them don't even know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,115,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I'm guessing that UPS Ground and FedEX Freight are the main profit centers for the two companies. That's something that USPS does not have.
USPS does not have their own aircraft. UPS does and so does FedEx.
The USPS contracts FedEx flights to fly Priority Mail.. The USPS sends lettters to local airports who tells the aircraft loaders how much weight they can carry with the people flying. A certain poundage of mail is then placed in their luggage area.

Why do you think the clerks ask you if you have anything that is inflamable or dangers when you ship in a Postal Facility...It is because the commercial airliners do not and FEMA does not want dangerous items in and amongst the community of people fliers. FedEx could care less because they have a pilot and a just a few others on each of their flights.

FedEx has been flying USPS's Priority Mail for a long time now and at one time you saw FedEx boxes at the USPS area offices because FedEx did give the USPS a large sum of money to do so.

Shortly after the contract was signed FedEx sued the USPS because they believed the money was too much...

USPS does a lot of outsourcing such as driving mail from one location to another to get processed, HR, and a few others but to date they still depend on Americans for survival. If anyone has ever seen the workings of a small or large Postal facility you will understand they do a terrific job with little resources.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,534,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I for one am tired of people using the USPS for an example of a poorly run government service. The USPS has successfully operated for over 300 years providing our citizens with a very necessary service. The goal of the USPS is not to make a profit but to provide an affordable service. We all know that the services the USPS provide are an integral part of any private business or corporation. Even health insurance companies depend on the USPS to send their bills for high premiums, denial of claims, and rescission letters.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(sigh) My wife is a letter carrier. She has worked for USPS for six years now, and I could not disagree with you more. I used to wonder at why postal workers complained, and went nuts with firearms coining the phrase 'going postal'. I have gained some insight into this. Postal management is about the most inept bunch of money grubbing parasites I have ever seen. By the way, USPS is not really considered a govt agency. It is but it isn't, yea, I know, don't make any sense to me either. The things my wife puts up with, on a daily basis, would have had me seeing red on my first day. Just to clarify, I am not a fan of big unions, and I am not big on the 'pro labor' thing. I believe in the merit system for wages and promotion. But the post office is not exactly a shining example of a properly run agency, govt or otherwise. Not in how it treats it's employees (unless we are talking about management) and not in how it handles it's funds. USPS is a poster child for Unionization. Without the NALC their hourly employees would be little more than a disposable commodity. I found this out firsthand. Never could have convinced me of this before my wife went to work for them. My eyes have been opened.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
Ok. Oh wait, they can't because the USPS won't let them. The government grants the USPS a monopoly on letter delivery and it is ILLEGAL for anyone other than USPS to deliver letters to your mailbox. If the USPS is so great, why do they need a special law to compete? The answer? They would be bankrupt without it. UPS and FedEx could easily deliver a letter for less than .44, but the USPS can't compete so they cheat by making laws against the competition. Americans are being screwed and most of them don't even know it.
You are correct in saying "USPS has a monopoly on delivering mail". It is the only monopoly allowed by law. At one time The Wall Street Journal was delivered to the home subscribers because the WSJ believed it could save money...They did but since and by law no other company can deliver to a mailbox the paper was all over lawns, steps and seen on sidewalks. WSJ soon came back to the USPS...

Mail that is delivered by the USPS is just a fantastic American Tradition....Do you want your parents or the elderly learn how to pull up internet connections to retrieve their mail? I surely do not...The Postman/woman is something Red, White and Blue true Americans cannot do without...

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,084,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I for one am tired of people using the USPS for an example of a poorly run government service. The USPS has successfully operated for over 300 years providing our citizens with a very necessary service. The goal of the USPS is not to make a profit but to provide an affordable service. We all know that the services the USPS provide are an integral part of any private business or corporation. Even health insurance companies depend on the USPS to send their bills for high premiums, denial of claims, and rescission letters.

Here's how they can improve:

Hire ONLY people who speak English.
That's what addresses are written in, what instructions are written in, what complaints are written in, what RULES are written in, what safety-warning signs are written in.

Do NOT play football with packages.

Do NOT throw packages for any reason.

Have simplified postal rates.

Lower Priority rates...That Priority Flat Rate is a joke.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,121,677 times
Quote:
FEDEX and UPS can in fact deliver letters~ they just cannot use the mailbox! I had to send a letter and was specified that I use FEDEX~ cost me $20 instead of $.44

Old 09-15-2009, 04:07 PM

624 posts, read 1,068,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Ask FedEx or UPS to deliver something for 44¢.
They are not allowed by FEDERAL law to deliver mail like USPS.

Oh, and please thank God for UPS and FedEx, if it were not for them, your USPS mail would cost a lot more. And the shipments would be a lot more expensive.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,691,360 times
Quote:
The USPS delivers even just one letter to the most remote areas of the country. If they had to compete with Fed Ex or whatever private company for letter delivery, the private company would take all the bulk mail going to a central location and the USPS would be left with the few letters going to remote locations. The USPS would not be able to sustain its delivery of service to all.

A private company competing with the USPS would take all the lucrative business and leave the services which would cost the company money to the USPS. This would be similar to what the health insurance companies are doing to Medicare. The health insurance companies take all the young, healthy participants and leave disabled and elderly, who tend to cost more, to Medicare.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,040,736 times
LOL you can't send a letter by Fedex, but if you could it would cost lest than 44¢. Introducing......

Note the word "Letter"

Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
(sigh) My wife is a letter carrier. She has worked for USPS for six years now, and I could not disagree with you more. I used to wonder at why postal workers complained, and went nuts with firearms coining the phrase 'going postal'. I have gained some insight into this. Postal management is about the most inept bunch of money grubbing parasites I have ever seen. By the way, USPS is not really considered a govt agency. It is but it isn't, yea, I know, don't make any sense to me either.
The USPS is known as a Quasi-governmental agency.... A lot of Craft employees do believe that postal management is out to get them but it is so far from the truth.

If a managerial person does not support postal employees and their efforts to work then their outlook on USPS craft employees would be that of a degrading one...It makes sense because it is the easy way out but it is never right.....I believe those Mgt. employees should be fired immediately. . .

What about dignity and respect for each side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies