Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
Kind of like when you look up the rate for sending mail to a zip code at USPS.com, UPS.com, or FedEx.com?

That's because there is no non-urgent option as they are not allowed to legally offer it. What do you expect them to say, "would you like to purchase illegal mail delivery?"
They offer third day delivery, which is slower than first class mail. That's not "Urgent." Face it you're just wrong. FedEx competes at all levels with the USPS, just not very well in the letter department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
They offer third day delivery, which is slower than first class mail. That's not "Urgent." Face it you're just wrong. FedEx competes at all levels with the USPS, just not very well in the letter department.
government created a monopoly on letter delivery in the united states:
Private Express Statutes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
government created a monopoly on letter delivery in the united states:
Private Express Statutes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nice theory, doesn't pass the straight face test. Tell me one thing I can mail, but not FedEx? I've got $1000 waiting to wager.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:07 PM

184 posts, read 511,121 times
Quote:
Nice theory, doesn't pass the straight face test. Tell me one thing I can mail, but not FedEx? I've got $1000 waiting to wager.
You can not put a letter in your mailbox and have FedEx or UPS pick it up. Only the USPS can open your mailbox or even check it to see if you have something to send out.

Why does it only costs .44 to send a letter? Is it because USPS is some magical entity that is more efficient than anyone else? Hell no. It's because they pick up and deliver mail to almost every address, every day. The USPS visits almost every mailbox every day so the cost to mail one letter is very low. UPS and FedEx are prohibited from taking advantage of the same business model, thus making their costs tremendously higher.

I don't understand why you are trying to agrue this. Do you deny that the laws upholding the USPS monopoly exist?

The USPS authorized the delivery of extremely urgent letters outside the USPS if:

-These letters must either cost at least the greater of $3 or twice what First Class (or Priority) mail service would cost, or they must be delivered within strict time limits or otherwise lose value. They must be marked "EXTREMELY URGENT". Records of pick up and delivery must be maintained for Postal Service inspection if the time sensitive exception is being used. -How can any private business compete with that? It is flat out anti-competitive cheating.

Also:-It is possible to set up a private mail delivery service known as "lawful private carriage" if the USPS postage is paid in addition to any private postage fee that is collected. Records must be maintained that such postage has been paid, and it must be affixed to the letter cover by U.S. stamps, meter imprints or through another method approved by the USPS. -So even if you set up your own mail service and bypass the USPS, you still have to pay them!

I don't see how you can possibly deny that the USPS is cheating. They have laws in place designed for no reason other than to limit the competition. It is not a level playing field when a business has to pay its competitor to provide its own service.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
If the post office is so great, why do I break out into a cold sweat every time my wife tells me I have to go there?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
You can not put a letter in your mailbox and have FedEx or UPS pick it up. Only the USPS can open your mailbox or even check it to see if you have something to send out.

Why does it only costs .44 to send a letter? Is it because USPS is some magical entity that is more efficient than anyone else? Hell no. It's because they pick up and deliver mail to almost every address, every day. The USPS visits almost every mailbox every day so the cost to mail one letter is very low. UPS and FedEx are prohibited from taking advantage of the same business model, thus making their costs tremendously higher.

I don't understand why you are trying to agrue this. Do you deny that the laws upholding the USPS monopoly exist?

The USPS authorized the delivery of extremely urgent letters outside the USPS if:

-These letters must either cost at least the greater of $3 or twice what First Class (or Priority) mail service would cost, or they must be delivered within strict time limits or otherwise lose value. They must be marked "EXTREMELY URGENT". Records of pick up and delivery must be maintained for Postal Service inspection if the time sensitive exception is being used. -How can any private business compete with that? It is flat out anti-competitive cheating.

Also:-It is possible to set up a private mail delivery service known as "lawful private carriage" if the USPS postage is paid in addition to any private postage fee that is collected. Records must be maintained that such postage has been paid, and it must be affixed to the letter cover by U.S. stamps, meter imprints or through another method approved by the USPS. -So even if you set up your own mail service and bypass the USPS, you still have to pay them!

I don't see how you can possibly deny that the USPS is cheating. They have laws in place designed for no reason other than to limit the competition. It is not a level playing field when a business has to pay its competitor to provide its own service.
Like I said before you issued your Postal Manifesto, tell me the piece of "mail" that you assert FedEx will not pick up at my house and deliver to whatever physical address that I specify.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM

184 posts, read 511,121 times
Quote:
Like I said before you issued your Postal Manifesto, tell me the piece of "mail" that you assert FedEx will not pick up at my house and deliver to whatever physical address that I specify.
The fact that you can mail a letter using FedEx does not negate any of the points above nor does it prove that the USPS does not use the government to limit competition.

The fact is that the USPS can not fairly compete with services like USPS and FedEx so it cheats by placing ridiculous restrictions on them and most people are not aware of it.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,851 times
Quote:
Ask FedEx or UPS to deliver something for 44¢.
you're not delivering anything besides a single stamped letter for 44 cents with the USPS either, so what is your point?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,851 times
Quote:
No, you're the one who's wrong. Fedex or any other company is not allowed to come to your house and pick up general mail delivery. There is a law against direct competition to the USPS for general mail delivery. If you want to over night something, then you can use the others, but not for general mail delivery.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Certainly the other carriers have taken much odfr package bvusiness from the USPS since allowwedby law. The only way to see on letters is to change the law to see.But at the same time they need to truely make the USPS a fully independent run company. Let them decide the rate and give no funding.Canging hiring and get politics out of management.Once you get governamnt out of it ;you can see if tehy will sink or swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies