Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Oh sure, the postal office is great: we have recieved 6 christmas cards for the old occupants of our home. they still live in the area, but haven't lived in the house for 2 years..Add to this: our daughter sent Christmas gift cards to us, 2 different cards. Mine was recieved 4 days after sending, the other one still has not been recieved.. We mailed a package to Fl on Dec 14th. As of Christmas it too, had not been received...Great company!!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Two packages mailed over 2 weeks ago STILL have not arrived! Face it, the USPS sucks.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Sometimes our priority should be to provide a very necessary service rather than provide stockholders with a profit!
Or taxpayers with a huge loss, right?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
I think the USPS does a good job. Never had a problem with them and their mail carriers are always polite and efficient, at least the ones that I've dealt with over my life.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,325,824 times
Tax dollars recieved for operating the postal service: Zero. No a better comparison would be the VA hospital system.This is government run medicine in practice.Another reason why the usps is a poor analogy of government run medicine: Postal service is actually in article I of the us consitution.Part of the problem with the postal services bottom line is "worksharing"there is a big disparity between usps processing cost and the discounts the postal service grants major mailers.These excessive worksharing discounts shift the cost of postal services from large mailers to individual users.Usps processing cost for 1000 automated letters is $6.17. Major mailers worksharing discount per 1000 piecesis$105.00. A little side note, much of the public affairs material that people read on the web is generated by print publications. If these print publications do not exist these stories do not get written or posted online.Ironically, americas first type of media [print] is crucial for keeping the internet open and vibrant.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 8,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe we should add "SEC" to the poor run government business/service...+ Freddie & Fannie!

If the SEC had checked maybe once into Madoff, millions wouldn't have been lost!
The SEC did check:

Madoff ‘astonished’ SEC did not catch him

By Alan Rappeport in New York
Published: October 30 2009 23:50 | Last updated: October 30 2009 23:50

Bernard Madoff, the mastermind of the biggest “Ponzi” scheme in history, told inspectors in a June interview that it was “amazing” to him that he was never caught during investigations by the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh sure, the postal office is great: we have recieved 6 christmas cards for the old occupants of our home. they still live in the area, but haven't lived in the house for 2 years..Add to this: our daughter sent Christmas gift cards to us, 2 different cards. Mine was recieved 4 days after sending, the other one still has not been recieved.. We mailed a package to Fl on Dec 14th. As of Christmas it too, had not been received...Great company!!!!

Nita
How is the USPS at fault for the misaddressed christmas cards? They did their job, they delivered the mail. It's not up to them to keep track of who lives where forever. Holy cow.

As far as the slow mail delivery, my mom was moaning about that too recently until the package came back and she realized she addressed it wrong. Much of the time it's USER ERROR. I'm not saying that sometimes things don't happen because they do...you will NEVER EVER have perfect performance or accuracy no matter who is running the show. Let me repeat...NEVER EVER.

But I have to say, I've NEVER EVER had a problem myself. Except for user error of course .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies