Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It's not privatized.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"(39 U.S.C. § 201) as it is wholly owned by the government and controlled by the Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General."
You missed part of your own posting
From your link.

"independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States"

in 2004, the US Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually they are not in the read and havent been for some time. The only reason why the postage rates have recently gone up is because of a Congressional mandate that the post office employees pre-fund retiree healthcare benefits (Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act). They also have not received any money from Congress since 1982.

Ummm I don't know how to out this politely. Are you nuts?

The post office is $7 billion in the hole?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You missed part of your own posting
From your link.

"independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States"

in 2004, the US Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation,
The US code says it is wholey owned. How appoints the Post Master General? Your fictional private company?

By the way it is not a government owned corporation but AGENCY, so it can't be sued. Corporatins can be sued the government can't.

"The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak), but as noted above is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States,""

The supreme court ruled it was not a CORPORATION.

Please show me anything that says the USPS is controlled by any entity other than the government.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Ummm I don't know how to out this politely. Are you nuts?

The post office is $7 billion in the hole?
They are only in the hole because of federal mandates, which required tens of billions of dollars to be raised and kept in a "piggy bank"

GovTrack: Budget Report: H.R. 22 [109th]: Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act

CBO estimates that enacting
this legislation would result in on-budget savings of $35.7 billion and off-budget costs of $41.6 billion over the 2006-2015 period. (The net expenditures of the USPS are classified as "off-budget.") Thus, CBO estimates the net cost to the unified budget would be $5.9 billion over the 2006-2015 period. All of those effects reflect changes in direct
spending. In addition, we estimate that implementing H.R. 22 would have discretionary costs of about $1.6 billion over the 2006-2015 period, assuming appropriation of the necessary amounts. (Enacting the bill would not affect federal revenues.)

Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
They are only in the hole because of federal mandates, which required tens of billions of dollars to be raised and kept in a "piggy bank"

GovTrack: Budget Report: H.R. 22 [109th]: Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act

CBO estimates that enacting
this legislation would result in on-budget savings of $35.7 billion and off-budget costs of $41.6 billion over the 2006-2015 period. (The net expenditures of the USPS are classified as "off-budget.") Thus, CBO estimates the net cost to the unified budget would be $5.9 billion over the 2006-2015 period. All of those effects reflect changes in direct
spending. In addition, we estimate that implementing H.R. 22 would have discretionary costs of about $1.6 billion over the 2006-2015 period, assuming appropriation of the necessary amounts. (Enacting the bill would not affect federal revenues.)

How can that be I thought they were privatized?

That report was 4 years ago, the USPS financial performance hasn't improved, they have faced increasing pressure form private companies. If there were alternatives in regular mail the USPS would be dead.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
yea but when she tells me to go to Kroger i just go. no cold sweat or nuten.

the post office makes me want to take massive drugs and see a phycologist.

If I were pavlovs dog and Pavlov said the words Post Office, instead of salavating I would start yelping.

Post office is a perjoritve almost as bad as the word Pelosi!
Therapy may help you , but will be a LONG process.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The US code says it is wholey owned. How appoints the Post Master General? Your fictional private company?
appointing the post master general does not mean you own the company. Again, Congress maintains OVERSIGHT over the USPS, but the Supreme Court ruled UNANIMOUSLY that they are not a government owned corporation..
Quote:
By the way it is not a government owned corporation but AGENCY, so it can't be sued. Corporatins can be sued the government can't.
Yes you can sue them, title 390, section 401..
About.com: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/401.html
power to sue (and be sued) under its own name;

Not only can they be sued, but they have been
The Daily Nightly - MSNBC.com
Quote:
"The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak), but as noted above is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States,""

The supreme court ruled it was not a CORPORATION.
Are you making this up as you go along? Fail to see not a government OWNED. The USPS is indeed a business entity, or they could not enter into leases or be sued.
Quote:
Please show me anything that says the USPS is controlled by any entity other than the government.
They are not controlled by anyone, they are an independant entity, overseen by the President/Congress.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I for one am tired of people using the USPS for an example of a poorly run government service. The USPS has successfully operated for over 300 years providing our citizens with a very necessary service. The goal of the USPS is not to make a profit but to provide an affordable service. We all know that the services the USPS provide are an integral part of any private business or corporation. Even health insurance companies depend on the USPS to send their bills for high premiums, denial of claims, and rescission letters.

The pony Express was absolutley killing the post office. So they just outlawed private delivery of mail.

Didn't the post office lose 3 billion dollars last year?

And why do we have to pay to ship and mail stuff. We already pay taxes. Why do we have to pay a stamp tax on top of the taxes we already pay?

Obama wants competition so much for insurance comapnies. Why doesn't he allow the private delivery of mail? Create some competition. Becuase the post office would get crushed and he knows it.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
appointing the post master general does not mean you own the company. Again, Congress maintains OVERSIGHT over the USPS, but the Supreme Court ruled UNANIMOUSLY that they are not a government owned corporation..

Yes you can sue them, title 390, section 401..
About.com: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/401.html
power to sue (and be sued) under its own name;

Not only can they be sued, but they have been
The Daily Nightly - MSNBC.com

Are you making this up as you go along? Fail to see not a government OWNED. The USPS is indeed a business entity, or they could not enter into leases or be sued.

They are not controlled by anyone, they are an independant entity, overseen by the President/Congress.
Talk about making things up as you go along. I suggest you take up your desent with the US Supreme Court.

"Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[16"

Look my friend please name one person or entity, just one, that is not part of the government that owns even a little bit of the USPS.

By the way even your links refered to it as part of the government, they had a government lawyer and there is this.

"Federal law allows some lawsuits against the federal government, but there are exceptions, and the Postal Service argued that Mrs. Dolan's was blocked by one of them -- barring claims due to the "loss, miscarriage, or negligent transmission of letters or postal matter.""

Game, set, match.

The USPS was not privatized, I think it is time you recognized that fact.

Last edited by shorebaby; 09-16-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I for one am tired of people using the USPS for an example of a poorly run government service. The USPS has successfully operated for over 300 years providing our citizens with a very necessary service. The goal of the USPS is not to make a profit but to provide an affordable service. We all know that the services the USPS provide are an integral part of any private business or corporation. Even health insurance companies depend on the USPS to send their bills for high premiums, denial of claims, and rescission letters.

The Postals have a 99%+ accuracy rate for deliveries.

I agree with your premise.

The #1 no brainer poster child for inefficiency and corruption is the US Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies