Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is still not the type of thing I would expect hanging on a student's wall, lol! I was wondering about how it was classified - meaning - as a deadly weapon. My state law is such that if a person is outside your dwelling and you are not in danger of losing your life, you can't shoot them - and if you kill them, you can be charged with homicide, unless you were in fear for your life. So in my state, I wonder how it would read that someone was killed outside their immediate dwelling after being sliced w/ a sword. I think I would get charged with homicide here, cause our DA would say I was out of the house and my life was not in danger.

I hope this guy's state has better laws.
Wouldn't his garage be classified as part of his dwelling? And, the guy was, reportedly, going after the med student. The John Hopkins campus is right in the middle of an area none for it's crime. Med students who walk a block away for lunch are mugged. I'm sure this med student was aware of the high crime rate and wasn't going to take any chances on becoming a 'statistic'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM

454 posts, read 795,807 times
Anime nerds FTW!

(Of course, the intruder will probably sue this guy in civil court for damages)

Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Wouldn't his garage be classified as part of his dwelling? And, the guy was, reportedly, going after the med student. The John Hopkins campus is right in the middle of an area none for it's crime. Med students who walk a block away for lunch are mugged. I'm sure this med student was aware of the high crime rate and wasn't going to take any chances on becoming a 'statistic'.
Yeah, I know Johns Hopkins and the surrounding area. Baltimore used to rank #1 in the nation for gunshot wounds (don't know if that is true now or not). So I would definitely want to have some sort of weapon in case of assault.

But here in NC, the student would be in deep doo doo, b/c it is true - going after someone in the garage would not be viewed as justifiable. Believe me - I think it is weird, but here, we are told - if someone wants to carry out your belongings, you can't shoot him. You can only use deadly force INSIDE your home and if someone is attacking you with a weapon. Following someone to another building or to a garage wont cut it.

Our laws are screwy here. If someone is carrying out your plasma tv, you can't shoot them or use deadly force, b/c they have both hands on the TV so therefore could not be in the position to cause you harm. We have had homeowners here literally stand and watch thugs carry out their belongings.

Sad, but true.

So I hope MD's laws are not so restrictive.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,551 times
Quote:
My question is . . . what the hell was a student doing with an actual sharpened samurai sword in a small apartment????
Why is that anyone's concern?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
My question is . . . what the hell was a student doing with an actual sharpened samurai sword in a small apartment????
Maybe a martial arts enthusiast. We have a few ww2 japanese swords and german daggers around the house, as well as a small arsenal of guns. People have collections of guns, swords, daggers and other weapons they enjoy due to the history.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
here's the story from the johns hopkins newsletter-

Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword - News & Features (http://media.www.jhunewsletter.com/media/storage/paper932/news/2009/09/15/NewsFeatures/Hopkins.Student.Kills.Intruder.With.Samurai.Sword-3772295.shtml#4 - broken link)

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 168,110 times
Default Self defense law is so screwed up!!!

My parents were victim of armed robbery. Three times they had guns held to their head as the robbers cleaned them out. If they had held gun to my head, and were leaving the scene, I would have no problem with shooting them in the back. That's called justice. He could have killed me just few minutes ago and I'll be damned if I'd let him get away now, so that he can return later and kill me!!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Anime nerds FTW!

(Of course, the intruder will probably sue this guy in civil court for damages)
When and where? The afterlife?

The guy didn't only lose his hand - he lost his life too. Did you mean the intruder's estate/family?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM

125 posts, read 212,940 times
Quote:
If someone was to break into my house and i couldn't get to my gun, I would use any and every method necessary to defend myself and my family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies