Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been an informative thread. Several posters have recommended boycotting Exxon/Mobil. I certainly endorse this action as I have not purchased anything from either in quite some time. I firmly believe that we don't change anything unless it causes great pain. ( I know that I don't !!!).
Though painful perhaps these rising costs are what we need to finally look at driving more sensible autos read: cars that burn petroleum more efficiently. If we all begin to do this we can reduce the "Bloated" Petroleum companies coffers until we develop and implement alternative sources to power our vehicles. Then we need to fight like hell so that these same "Companies" don't gain control of any sources of energy outside of petroleum. It is a tall order that I am afraid will require drastic measures. I know that people don't want to hear this but it will require massive popular support. Are we up to the task I wonder?
Boycotting Exxon-Mobil will be a more efficient way of protesting. I'd endorse this action also, I rarely buy from an of their stations.

Just please don't boycott Chevron, I have quite a large interest in that company and don't want to see my stock drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM

39 posts, read 172,318 times
So here we have it, boycott to stick it to the big wigs. Yet these big wigs hire and maintain thousands of employees and there health care and we want to stick it to them.
Then we have someone compare it to segragation. I go to my kids high school every ethnicity is segragated at the lunch room tables ect....
Lets talk about those(like me), that don't mind paying the prices, if you want to make a statement start riding the bus everyday, not 1 day out of the year. We have hollywood elites riding around in limos(great gas mileage),flying on jets complaining about global warming. I thank those big wigs as they are the pro viders of thousands of jobs . Go boycott and face the same reality the 60's crowd faced , you were wrong as most of the 60's protesters ended up working for "big wig" corporations.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 PM

223 posts, read 281,040 times
the oil companies are foul.i believe all ceo,s should be kidnapped & flown to iraq & just dropped off in bagdad.now that would be the right thing to do.an eye for an eye.i have a entire list of people i want on that plane.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The rise in fuel prices directly relates to the start of the war in Iraq. Diesel was .99 cents a gallon in 2001, our demand other than the war machine as not really increased as much as they would like us to think, the fuel is needed for the war. The oil companies have reported record breaking profits since Mr. Bush came into office, BLAME HIM not us. I will always drive trucks because that is what I like and what I want as well as need. Have you ever tried to pull a boat with a honda or put your camper in the back of a little nissan.
The War in Iraq has virtually nothing to do with the increase in gas prices. There was reduced output in Iraq even before the war. And the consumption of fuel by a few humvees, and jet aircraft by itself isn't enough to move world markets. This ain't WWII.

Higher prices come from a combination of several things:

Big increases in demand from India and China. They want to drive cars too. Plus their economies are growing in the 7%-9% range EVERY year. Their fuel consumption is probably growing nearly that amount, EVERY year. Yes our demand hasn't increased much, but China and India's has.... a lot. The China-India effect isn't limited to fuel. They are causing surging steel prices too.

Failure to build refining capacity. The Environmentalist-Industrial Complex have colluded to keep refining capacity tight, prices and profits high. Private and State Oil companies save money by limitiing their capital expenditures on refining plants. And environmentalists get the thrill of curbing demand by increasing prices.

The low prices of the 90's The low prices of the 90's restrained exploration and refinery expansion and that bears a great part of the responsibility for the current situation of high prices. Every once in awhile Saudi Arabia likes to turn the spigot on to crush capacity expansion within the oil industry and to curb the development of alternative fuel supplies. Oil companies just respond rationally to the uncertain environment that Saudi Arabia creates. The oil companies become very risk averse about $20 billion dollar investmetns when they could have the legs cut out from underneath them at a moments notice.

Consumers too respond to the chaos Saudi Arabia perpetrates. That's why we have 10 million+ superfluous truck drivers who are driving trucks when 90% of the time they don't need to be. If you are one of them, you ARE responsible for a part of the high prices.

And as for blaming President Bush... come on. Paranoia is not reasoned argument.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
thanks, i will buy drive and then buy again on that day

Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
There is currently a planned boycott not to buy gas on May 15. I received an email 3 days ago. Apparently in 1997, there was a "gas out" for one day, and gas prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight. And in one day Exxon/Mobile lost 2.3 million dollars. It's just an effort to put a small dent in pocket of those benefiting from all these high gas prices, which is totally insane and unecessary!! Let's everybody get on the train!!! See you at the pump on the 16th

Um, ok so no one buys gas on May 15 for their car. On May 14 half the population fills up and on May 16 the other half fills up. What revenue has been lost? Are we going to shut down all emergency services so that they to do not have to buy gas? Will all landscaping equipment and services be stopped as well? Oh, by the way, oil is sold long in advance at predetermined prices so any oil that isnt sold just gets saved until the next day since it is already paid for. If people want to lower gas prices, then people have to lower the demand. As long as we are (or at least pretend to be) dependent on oil, we will pay any price they set. When we stop using the product and find alternatives or make due without, we might have a chance to lower prices.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Why can't anyone understand supply and demand? Instead of boycotting, go offer to buy a barrel of crude for $40. See how long it takes them to sell it to the next guy who's willing to pay $65 for it. They're going to get as much for their product as the market will pay. Saying that gas shouldn't cost $3/gallon is ridiculous. It costs as much as people are willing to pay. I personally think $100k for a car is crazy and won't pay it, but plenty of people will pay so companies like Mercedes make and sell $100k cars. If gas isn't worth $3/gal to you, find another way to get around. If gas is worth at least $3/gal to you, buy it.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Unless you actually don't use your vehicle that day, you haven't gained a thing. Americans need to stop whining. If you don't like the price, don't drive, get out of your car and walk, use a bike, use mass transit. That way the price may get lower for those who must drive like truckers, farmers and such. They are the ones who have no choice.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM

76 posts, read 243,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why can't anyone understand supply and demand? Instead of boycotting, go offer to buy a barrel of crude for $40. See how long it takes them to sell it to the next guy who's willing to pay $65 for it. They're going to get as much for their product as the market will pay. Saying that gas shouldn't cost $3/gallon is ridiculous. It costs as much as people are willing to pay. I personally think $100k for a car is crazy and won't pay it, but plenty of people will pay so companies like Mercedes make and sell $100k cars. If gas isn't worth $3/gal to you, find another way to get around. If gas is worth at least $3/gal to you, buy it.
I'm sorry but Economics 101 is academic theory not reality. Gas and oil prices are a perfect example. Are you doubting that price gouging exists? Do you believe that OPEC operates on a simple supply/demand and price elasticity model? Deals are made a very high levels for reasons that are part economic (profits for the few) and part geo political (see 1973).

Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Failure to build refining capacity. The Environmentalist-Industrial Complex have colluded to keep refining capacity tight, prices and profits high. Private and State Oil companies save money by limitiing their capital expenditures on refining plants. And environmentalists get the thrill of curbing demand by increasing prices.
"The Environmentalist-Industrial Complex." Sigh. Could it possibly be that the oil companies know that they're in a sun-set industry? Adding refineries is an expensive, long-range investment. It takes years to recover the costs. Increasingly it looks like we're passing peak oil. The oil boyz know this, and as savvy capitalists have calculated that the ROI ain't too good.

Nah, instead of fantasizing about collusion between disparate groups -- collusion of the imagination -- it might (might) be better get ready for a brave new reality of tight squeezes on a dwindling resource -- and ever higher oil prices. Time to evolve and think differently about how we live.

PS. China and India use a fraction of the oil the U.S. consumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies