Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Thanks. My family has been considering DR (and Ecuador etc). Of course, there is a lot more research to do but the input is helpful. We did like La Romana...the new developments there but i do wonder about the health care and other necessities for the elderly.

I enjoyed Santo Domingo but didnt get enough time there. Wow @ your land in La Vega.

So a Hungarian and Dominican couple...now that's a mix. :-)
I'd say healthcare is probably the single biggest sticking point for many considering retiring abroad. The irony of it all is the condition of many of my extended family out there in contrast to my father-in-law (who has lived here in the states for the last 20 some odd years)..His father is in better health than he is @ 90. And he and I both agree it's the stress and grind of the demanding American workforce.

"Opportunity" comes with a hefty price tag.

I believe western medicine to be greatly overrated....at least the "medicine" part. And maybe even the quality of care and/or general concern. Not trying to undermine the technological advancements it has afforded us...it is unparalleled in that regard. But I have never think a lot of fear mongering is perpetuated when it comes to that subject.

And yes, I'd say it's a very unique mix. I can count the number of Hungarians I've met on one hand alone....and I'm the only one I know that's had children with a Dominican lol

Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Hmm, there are triple more Colombians with black blood than there are Dominicans with black blood lol
but we aren't talking about colombians, and i said probably, so it wasn't an absolute

Quote:
Many of the Africans sold African Americans and Afro Caribbeans into slavery. So go figure.
and the spanish enslaved them, yet they are proud to claim the spanish and european settlers/masters, like for more than 300 years they weren't enslaved, the spanish didn't even bother to stick around and left them right there in ruins, yet they want to go to spain and learn "their roots"

so just the same

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'd say healthcare is probably the single biggest sticking point for many considering retiring abroad. The irony of it all is the condition of many of my extended family out there in contrast to my father-in-law (who has lived here in the states for the last 20 some odd years)..His father is in better health than he is @ 90. And he and I both agree it's the stress and grind of the demanding American workforce.

"Opportunity" comes with a hefty price tag.

I believe western medicine to be greatly overrated....at least the "medicine" part. And maybe even the quality of care and/or general concern. Not trying to undermine the technological advancements it has afforded us...it is unparalleled in that regard. But I have never think a lot of fear mongering is perpetuated when it comes to that subject.

And yes, I'd say it's a very unique mix. I can count the number of Hungarians I've met on one hand alone....and I'm the only one I know that's had children with a Dominican lol
Completely agree with the bold. I suppose my concern is that after living in the states for years, there must be some toll taken on the body. So it is important that good care is available if and when needed.

You are so right about opportunity and Western medicine though. More than anything though, I would like my parents to be content in their old age. Quality of life for the elderly in the states isn't always the best. So if they find somewhere else where they are very comfortable and happy, it's best that they go...

I know the DR has a significant European expat community. Do you know where most are from? Never met any Hungarians? Either way, your children have a nice cultural mix.

Quote:
El Cibao is very nice. It's hard for me to choose, but I'd say that Santo Domingo and El Cibao were among the nicest places. Good food and beautiful landscapes and views.
Have to get to El Cibao...

Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Yes. Exactly. I find that many black identified folks and black identity police and one droppists love to seem to force blackness down other people's throats. It just needs to stop. People keep on upholding white supremacist ideologies to further their causes. They are NO better or different than the Nazis or KKK.

And yes, that's one of my points exactly. Why don't AAs claim their white heritage? Could it be for the same reasons that some Dominicans may not claim their African heritage? The black Haitians raped and massarcred many DR peoples.

Although you know a significant portion of white lineage in AAs comes from white females and from consensual unions. Not all AAs have rape white blood. Also black men raped black woman and white woman and Native woman during the colonial period.

So theoretically AAs can't claim to be black or white. Many AAs are misinformed on history.

Also slavery was not even a racial thing. Slavery affected ppl of all races. Slavery was MATRILINEAL! PERIOD.

Anyways, as for Dominicans, they do embrace their African heritage. What do you think palos, salves, surundunga, and other musical and dance forms have deep influences from?

Also Dominicans have a unique saying "negros detras las orejas" or "black behind the ears". They are aware of their African roots. They just don't identify as black because they also have white, and taino. Above all Dominicans identify with their culture and nationality.

This is how it is in most countries outside of the USA. Culture, nationality, region, town, before any skin color or race.

I think it is nice that you would like to see an non-racial world, but this is probably the 3rd or 4th time that I have seen you write the above bolded in regards to an old racial thread, this one is pretty old BTW. Maybe it was revived due to the West Indian/Black American thread going on right now, but any-who

Slavery in America was about race. The system of chattel slavery was not in this country at the very beginnings but by the 1700s, slavery was about race. If someone was black and free, they could easily be re-enslaved just for being black or having noticeable "black blood" so to keep perpetuating the notion that slavery was not about race, in America, is not true.

I agree that around the world, slavery was not a status that one associates with the color of one's skin. There have been plenty of Asian and European and Indigenous people all over the world enslaved by their own or by other kingdoms or ethnic groups. But here in America, the system of slavery, established in the late 17th century in specific colonies was race based.

A couple of posters, from the stormfront crew like to go about the forum stating that a black person instituted slavery in America first in the Virginia Colony, but it was actually instituted via the court system in Virginia. There were 3 indentured servants who tried to escape their indenture. Two were white and one was black. All of them were caught. The two white guys got a lashing and extended servitude term, the black man was lashed and sentenced to a lifetime of enslavement. That established black as slave. They were easier to distinguish from general society. There were many indentured servants who escaped their servitudes in America. White servants were easily able to move somewhere and blend in better due to being white. Indigenous Americans were initially used as forced, unpaid labor as well, but too many of them knew the "lay of the land" so to speak and were easily able to escape, they also didn't have the natural immunity to horrible scourges of Europe that people closer to Europe (Africans and Asians) had more of an immunity to, so the natives died off easier than whites and Africans. The African was left. The African was separate in appearance and did not know the terrain and could not easily escape due to both of these. Slowly but surely, it was written into law that black equaled slave. If a black person was not a slave they could be forced into slavery and their "freeness" in many instances was ignored. I agree that slavery was deemed "matrilineal" in America, as white slave owners wanted to ensure a steady source of black slaves. They also could ensure future slaves by "breeding" with their slave women. The concept of status following the mother was not something unique to slavery. Prior to the colonies deciding to institute this practice in this country, very few societies followed this practice and it was especially not common in England where the status of children followed the father.

So you are spreading lots of misinformation or maybe just your own personal views of black not equaling slave in this country. Though there were few exceptions in regards to "free persons of color" those persons and even black slave owners themselves (and in regards to that, there were no white slaves held by black slave owners - indentured servants were not slaves BTW) could always be enslaved just because they were black. The person who the stormfronter crew likes to pretend owned the first slave - Antonio (Anthony) Johnson had his own land basically stolen from him as racism became dominant in this country and when "slave codes" and other laws went on the books in various colonies in order to ensure enslavement was synonymous with blackness (and also indigenous peoples).

Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Hmm, there are triple more Colombians with black blood than there are Dominicans with black blood lol
Not proportionally. Colombia is about 25% of African descent. Dominican Republic is 85% of African descent.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Why would you say that?
Because Panamanians are a very black and hispanic country!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Thanks. My family has been considering DR (and Ecuador etc). Of course, there is a lot more research to do but the input is helpful. We did like La Romana...the new developments there but i do wonder about the health care and other necessities for the elderly.

I enjoyed Santo Domingo but didnt get enough time there. Wow @ your land in La Vega.

So a Hungarian and Dominican couple...now that's a mix. :-)
I know a couple where the guy is from Montenegro and the woman is Dominican.

I also remember a few years ago I was doing a research job regarding agriculture, and it required me to call farmers in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas. Once I called a house and a woman who sounded distinctly Latina answered. I asked where she was from, and she said "Dominican Republic." I couldn't really continue the conversation because it was a business call, but I wanted to know how a Dominican-born woman ended up in rural Kansas married to a farmer.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know a couple where the guy is from Montenegro and the woman is Dominican.

I also remember a few years ago I was doing a research job regarding agriculture, and it required me to call farmers in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas. Once I called a house and a woman who sounded distinctly Latina answered. I asked where she was from, and she said "Dominican Republic." I couldn't really continue the conversation because it was a business call, but I wanted to know how a Dominican-born woman ended up in rural Kansas married to a farmer.
Not surprised at all. Certain immigrants will go anywhere...anywhere.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Funny how Dominicans are not the demographic screaming and shouting for others to boost their self esteem by calling them nubian olmecs and attaching themselves to every culture under the sun, yet they are the ones this thread claims has an identity crisis.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Funny how Dominicans are not the demographic screaming and shouting for others to boost their self esteem by calling them nubian olmecs and attaching themselves to every culture under the sun, yet they are the ones this thread claims has an identity crisis.
This is very true....they call themselves DOMINICANS and no matter how they got there that's what they are and they are proud of what they made of it.

Not much unlike the white folks who wear AMERICAN on their sleeve and get called cornhusking peckerwoods and ridiculed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies