Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 AM

130 posts, read 156,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So exactly who keeps making all of these dark skinned people? Shouldn't they all be extinct if no one is finding them desirable?
Well, it's not that black men won't have sex with a dark woman, but I think there's enough evidence to show that many are not marrying the women that they create children with, so having children does not prove one's desirability. When a man finds a woman desirable, he sticks around and raises his children.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_inFall View Post
Well, it's not that black men won't have sex with a dark woman, but I think there's enough evidence to show that many are not marrying the women that they create children with, so having children does not prove one's desirability. When a man finds a woman desirable, he sticks around and raises his children.
Oh Nyanna

Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Because Panamanians are a very black and hispanic country!
Hmm, have you ever been to Panama? Panama is actually a very mixed race nation.

Are you going by Panamanians you met in the USA? What you tend to see in the USA does not reflect in totality the full aspects of their respective home nations. Most Panamanians in the USA often tend to be "black", but in Panama blacks are a minority and Panama is very mixed.

It's funny though how you impose and apply the racial label of black on Panamanians bet then when it comes to Dominicans you turn around and don't refer to Dominicans as such. You can't impose the very same standards on other people but then reject it for another group of people. That's hypocritical and flawed at best. You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:18 AM

The Skin Color Paradox and the American Racial Order | Jennifer L. Hochschild

"Skin color is associated with individuals’ preferences as well as their outcomes. With some exceptions, most Americans prefer lighter to darker skin aesthetically, normatively, and culturally. Film-makers, novelists, advertisers, modeling agencies, matchmaking websites – all demonstrate the power of a fair complexion, along with straight hair and Eurocentric facial features, to appeal to Americans."

Given this information, is there really any wonder why dark "Latinos" upon arriving in the U.S. want to distance themselves from the "black" label. Black is viewed as poor, ugly, and uneducated, whether we like it or not. I know it's not right, but it's just the way things are set up in this nation and much of the world. This doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of successful black people, it just means that most view blacks in a very negative light. The darker shades get the brunt of the negativity, because dark skin falls further from the fair skin ideal.

Given what I know and have experienced, why would I ever want my future children to have to deal with such b.s. and racism? If you view it from this context, it does make sense why dark women would rejoice at having a light baby. I will be honest and say that is has greatly influenced who I am attracted to. I know that I don't want my children to have my skin color.

I have been in situations where I saw up close how this plays out. A year ago, I motioned for a taxi to stop and he pulled over and asked where I was going. When I got in the cab he stopped again and let a woman in. I was very upset because they are not supposed to do this, but I guess he figured that it didn't matter, since I really didn't count. When I glanced at the woman whom he invited into the cab, I could clearly see that she was very light in color but she looked like she had some sort of black ancestry (I could tell from her hair and some of her facial features). I proceeded to ask the driver why he let the woman in the car, and he suddenly stopped the car and told me to get out of his cab. I couldn't believe it, but I hate confrontation so I left. As I opened the cab door, I watch as the woman sat there, kind of smiling at her light skin "privilege." Please do not believe for a second that lighter skinned "blacks" do not understand how colorism works because they do (especially the light women). They know fully well that it benefits them greatly.

Last edited by Julie_inFall; 10-28-2013 at 12:34 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
but we aren't talking about colombians, and i said probably, so it wasn't an absolute

and the spanish enslaved them, yet they are proud to claim the spanish and european settlers/masters, like for more than 300 years they weren't enslaved, the spanish didn't even bother to stick around and left them right there in ruins, yet they want to go to spain and learn "their roots"

so just the same
Haitians oppressed the Dominicans and tried to control them. In the beginning and first decade and a half or so of Haitian occupation, Dominicans were blessed and happy to be under Haitian rule, as slavery became abolished thanks to the Haitians, but eventually it became overwhelming as Haitians sought to sever ties with the Vatican and the Pope and stomp out certain Catholic traditions and certain aspects of Spanish influenced culture on the Dominican side of the island so, many Dominicans began to fight back. In addition the Haitians massacared and raped many people on the Spanish speaking sides and parts of the island. In addition many land was stolen from the Dominicans and occupied by the Haitians. Many whites and mixed race peoples even faced hate and oppression and violence from Black Haitian perpetrators and aggressors. Many outsiders looking in seem to forget about these atrocities committed against the Dominicans by the Haitian peoples. That's also where lots of animosity between Haiti and the DR and vice versa stems from.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Haitians oppressed the Dominicans and tried to control them. In the beginning and first decade and a half or so of Haitian occupation, Dominicans were blessed and happy to be under Haitian rule, as slavery became abolished thanks to the Haitians, but eventually it became overwhelming as Haitians sought to sever ties with the Vatican and the Pope and stomp out certain Catholic traditions and certain aspects of Spanish influenced culture on the Dominican side of the island so, many Dominicans began to fight back. In addition the Haitians massacared and raped many people on the Spanish speaking sides and parts of the island. In addition many land was stolen from the Dominicans and occupied by the Haitians. Many whites and mixed race peoples even faced hate and oppression and violence from Black Haitian perpetrators and aggressors. Many outsiders looking in seem to forget about these atrocities committed against the Dominicans by the Haitian peoples. That's also where lots of animosity between Haiti and the DR and vice versa stems from.
Whatever the Haitians did to the Dominicans pales in comparison to what the French and the Spanish did, so let's be honest. The Spanish blood running through the majority of Dominicans did not come about from loving relationships. The bulk of the native women were brutally raped, so I don't really get why they hate the Haitian rapist but love the Spanish rapists?

It is odd because I would hate anyone who raped.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I guess some Dominicans are more Dominican than others...................

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/wo...ourt.html?_r=0
That stuff in the article is just outrageous. It's one thing to deport recent parents of children born on soil, but to go back that far digging through records past 1929 is a bit much and to revoke their citizenships just like that is crazy. I wonder if they are doing this specifically to target Haitians or to target just all immigrant groups in general?

I must however point out that Haiti doesn't have a jus soli policy implemented in their borders. They don't recognize people born in Haiti as automatically Haitian.

And Haitians migrate to many islands and they always get kicked out and deported. So this is not just done in DR.

Funny thing is people reap what they sow. In Puerto Rico, Dominican immigrants which are often illegal many times are treated very harshly just like how Haitians are treated by Dominicans in the DR.

I wonder how Dominicans would feel if USA did the same thing to them, when they want to immigrate to the USA. Same for other Latin American immigrants. Pot meet kettle. Every Latin American had oppressive discriminatory laws on the books restricting or regulating black immigration and immigration of people of color into their respective nations.

In Cuba, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Panama etc they had laws like theseoppressing blacks and restricting black immigration, especially immigration of English speaking blacks.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_inFall View Post
LMAO...that might be the most ridiculous thing i've read on C-D today.

I mean, seriously?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The average Dominican looks similar to this....

....but wants the world to ignore what our eyes see right in front of us. Its just so very silly.
That's not what the average Dominican looks like. That's just their sunburnt masks and body covers from overexposure to the hot tropical sun on the Spanish speaking side of the island of Hispaniola. (sarcasm)

Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...that might be the most ridiculous thing i've read on C-D today.

I mean, seriously?
I don't see nearly as many single white, Asian or Latino moms as I do single black moms in NYC. Usually it's mostly dark women that are single with children. Laugh at my comment, but deep down you know it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies