U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I have a problem with anyone who feels this way...and it is an issue all over the place.
I agree. But it is particularly strong among Dominicans.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:30 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
Hahaha! So obviously biased! LOL!
I'm not even trying to hide it.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 PM

17,611 posts, read 19,033,833 times
Quote:
Really now? How many Dominicans take measures like Sammy Sosa? And Michael Jackson had all kinds of surgeries to alter his nose and lips and made sure as an adult not to wear his natural hair. So again, to act like Sosa represents the average Dominican is to act like Jackson represents the average African-American.

And speaking of hair texture, I surely didn't see the amount of hair obvious hair weaves & wigs in the DR than I do among AAs here. But Dominicans are soooo much worse...OK.
More Dominicans would go the Sammy Sosa skin bleaching route....if they could afford to do so. And Dominican women are renowned for their Dominican blowouts and hair straightening skills because wearing kinky hair is so taboo in the DR. I also know many Latina and Caribbean women who religiously wear hair clip-ins, hair weaves and chemically straighten their hair.

In the US, there is a very strong natural hair movement amongst African American women who have abandoned hair relaxers and other hair styling options that do not celebrate our natural hair texture (which is considered completely unacceptable in the DR and other Latin countries).

Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I agree. But it is particularly strong among Dominicans.
Perhaps, but even so, the emphasis on them by some is a bit much. The strength of such issues can be seen in different areas. So many of us in the diaspora could use a dose of true appreciation of our African heritage.

For example, screaming one is "black" from the hilltops but running after any and everyone with light to white skin or ttachment to wigs/weaves/relaxers etc, which can be seen among AAs is no different. It is all a part of it, just like color and hair issues among Dominicans.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
More Dominicans would go the Sammy Sosa skin bleaching route....if they could afford to do so. And Dominican women are renowned for their Dominican blowouts and hair straightening skills because wearing kinky hair is so taboo in the DR. I also know many Latina and Caribbean women who religiously wear hair clip-ins, hair weaves and chemically straighten their hair.

In the US, there is a very strong natural hair movement amongst African American women who have abandoned hair relaxers and other hair styling options that do not celebrate our natural hair texture (which is considered completely unacceptable in the DR and other Latin countries).
So then similar issues exist among all of the groups above. Skin bleaching is all over the place, even in the poorest nations. It is not necessarily expensive to access such products. No one said that Hispanic or Caribbean women don't wear false hair or straighten either, but you seem to only want to point such issues out when it comes to Dominicans. Not because AAs are abandoning hair relaxers more recently does not automatically make them more conscious.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So then similar issues exist among all of the groups above. Skin bleaching is all over the place, even in the poorest nations. It is not necessarily expensive to access such products. No one said that Hispanic or Caribbean women don't wear false hair or straighten either, but you seem to only want to point such issues out when it comes to Dominicans. Not because AAs are abandoning hair relaxers more recently does not automatically make them more conscious.
The title of this thread is "Dominicans Struggle with Blackness" which is the reason that the focus of the thread has been primarily on Dominicans. I have never stated that Dominicans are the only people of African descent that have issues related to accepting their "blackness"/African ancestry.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

5,180 posts, read 4,673,380 times
Quote:
Really now? How many Dominicans take measures like Sammy Sosa? And Michael Jackson had all kinds of surgeries to alter his nose and lips and made sure as an adult not to wear his natural hair. So again, to act like Sosa represents the average Dominican is to act like Jackson represents the average African-American.

And speaking of hair texture, I surely didn't see the amount of obvious hair weaves & wigs in the DR that I do among AAs here. But Dominicans are soooo much worse...OK.
You should see how many Dominicans salons have corned the hair straightening market in the nubian olmec precincts.

The pot truly is talking smack about the kettle.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The title of this thread is "Dominicans Struggle with Blackness" which is the reason that the focus of the thread has been primarily on Dominicans. I have never stated that Dominicans are the only people of African descent that have issues related to accepting their "blackness"/African ancestry.
That's right but your statements are overboard speaking for them as if you know what they would or wouldn't do in terms of their skin and equating them in mass to one individual...all because they do not identify exactly the way you feel that they should.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,115,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Indeed, my issue with Dominicans is not that they identify as mixed. It's that they consider anything white or European superior and anything black or African inferior. And since Africa and that which is African is a strong part of their heritage, I consider that colonized and self-hating behavior.
yeah, but at the end of the day how does that really effect the rest of us who are part of the African diaspora? in the world of everyone descended from west Africans, they are a tiny spec of the population. and certainly they are not as influential as black Americans or even afro Puerto Ricans on the grand scale of things. it's not like their attitude is catchy. btw, I know you mentioned you are afro Latino before, what country did you (or your parents) come from? just curious. you come across as someone who has a healthy attitude about race/ethnicity/nationality.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
That's right but your statements are overboard speaking for them as if you know what they would or wouldn't do in terms of their skin and equating them in mass to one individual...all because they do not identify exactly the way you feel that they should.
The creator of this thread felt that the issue was significant enough warrant a discussion. And with over 30 pages of posts it is an indication that there are numerous people who have an opinion on the topic.

It is fairly well known that Dominicans, in particular, have a very deeply seated issue with even acknowledging that African slavery even touched the shores of the DR let alone that they are the descendants of those African slaves. I am not the first person to comment on the issue nor will I be the last. And as I stated earlier in this thread, Dominicans can call themselves Gretchen and Sven from Sweden, if they so desire but, it does not change their DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yeah, but at the end of the day how does that really effect the rest of us who are part of the African diaspora? in the world of everyone descended from west Africans, they are a tiny spec of the population. and certainly they are not as influential as black Americans or even afro Puerto Ricans on the grand scale of things. it's not like their attitude is catchy.
Truthfully, Dominicans are not very significant or influential based on their numbers alone. More than anything they tend to stick out as being archaic and backwards in their attitudes about race and racial characteristics.

Last edited by calipoppy; 11-02-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies