U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,982,568 times
Reputation: 11780

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yeah, but at the end of the day how does that really effect the rest of us who are part of the African diaspora? in the world of everyone descended from west Africans, they are a tiny spec of the population. and certainly they are not as influential as black Americans or even afro Puerto Ricans on the grand scale of things. it's not like their attitude is catchy. btw, I know you mentioned you are afro Latino before, what country did you (or your parents) come from? just curious. you come across as someone who has a healthy attitude about race/ethnicity/nationality.
My dad is AA. My mom's people are Cubans from the Eastern area. Some of my Cuban folks are of Haitian descent.

 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,117,779 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not sure these are equivalent, and not sure this is prevalent among AAs.
lol. talk about chasing light and white. look at professional ball players. despite the image the media feeds us, most black American pro athletes marry/date black women. I have NEVER seen a pro afro latino player with a child his shade or darker. NEVER.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
honestly, I kind of think it does. I went natural because I never wanted my little girl to feel that the natural hair she was born with was not good enough. but after seeing "good hair" and learning about how poisonous the chemicals I had been putting on my scalp for nearly 20 years are, I could never go back to the creamy crack. I think that's the number one reason many black women have went natural. people speculate that it is just a fad, but I argue that first came the natural movement and then came the amazing styles. most women won't go back to putting carcinogenic substances in their hair. Where I live I only see a few middle class and up black women with relaxed hair. most of the people I see with relaxed hair are working class or poor. they're always the last to know when something is dangerous.
My point is that making progress in one regard doesn't make you overall more conscious than any and everyone else. More people are going natural but even a significant amount of them don't necessarily feel comfortable wearing their hair in the natural state. A number of others, such as Dominicans, wear their hair the same way. No relaxer but always straight. And anyway, hair is just one aspect of the matter...

But I'm happy to see among any group...and hopefully, it will become more prevalent in the DR and other places as well. Agree with you about it not being a fad and hopefully, it will reach the working class/poor in greater numbers soon.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-02-2013 at 07:53 PM..
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,982,568 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
lol. talk about chasing light and white. look at professional ball players. despite the image the media feeds us, most black American pro athletes marry/date black women. I have NEVER seen a pro afro latino player with a child his shade or darker. NEVER.
Not a scientific sample, but:


Roberto Clemente
Tany Perez
Jose Cano
Jose Contreras
Jose Tartabull
Amado Samuel
Felipe Alou
Bobby Bonilla

all had/have wives who are obviously of African ancestry and children who have substantial color and African features


Some with wives/girlfriends who are white or at least much lighter:

Sammy Sosa
Livan Hernandez
Sandy Alomar
Ozzie Virgil
David Ortiz
Rod Carew
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not sure these are equivalent, and not sure this is prevalent among AAs.
It's not uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
lol. talk about chasing light and white. look at professional ball players. despite the image the media feeds us, most black American pro athletes marry/date black women. I have NEVER seen a pro afro latino player with a child his shade or darker. NEVER.
"Black" meaning what though? Black American? A number of them seem to make sure these women have a certain appearance. No idea about Afro-Latino players honestly.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,117,779 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It's not uncommon.



"Black" meaning what though? Black American? A number of them seem to make sure these women have a certain appearance. No idea about Afro-Latino players honestly.
when you say "a certain appearance" are you speaking of light skin black women? aren't they still black? but I can name numerous black American athletes who are not with light skin women like LeBron James and Dwayne Wade.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,614 posts, read 19,052,082 times
Reputation: 18928
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My point is that making progress in one regard doesn't make you overall more conscious than any and everyone else. More people are going natural but even a significant amount of them don't necessarily feel comfortable wearing their hair in the natural state. A number of others, such as Dominicans, wear their hair the same way. No relaxer but always straight. And anyway, hair is just one aspect of the matter...
No relaxer? Dominican women are masters at chemically straightening hair. The Dominican blow-out is legendary. Dominican stylists hate dealing with natural (type 4) textured hair and some will slip chemical relaxers into shampoo/conditioning treatments within their client's knowledge or approval.


http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/06/re...il-beware.html

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/07...-hair-clients/
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
when you say "a certain appearance" are you speaking of light skin black women? aren't they still black? but I can name numerous black American athletes who are not with light skin women like LeBron James and Dwayne Wade.
They are of African descent, but it still can reflect a mentality that does exist among a number of Black Americans that it is better that the person be closer to white. Remember my post was simply giving examples of how issues exist throughout the diaspora regarding African heritage.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No relaxer? Dominican women are masters at chemically straightening hair. The Dominican blow-out is legendary. Dominican stylists hate dealing with natural (type 4) textured hair and some will slip chemical relaxers into shampoo/conditioning treatments within their client's knowledge or approval.

A 'Relaxer + Conditioner' Cocktail- Beware! | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

Stylists Adding Relaxers to Conditioners on Natural Hair Clients?? | Black Girl with Long Hair
Please read my post again. Plenty Dominicans may not have relaxers BUT can straight their own hair out very well. Blow out does not always mean relaxer. That is something that a number of AA women are finding out in the going natural process and are quite happy about it.

And other stylists are all happy about "type 4" hair? Dominican stylists don't like to spend extra time on anyone's hair. It's all about the assembly line. I'll tell you one thing. When I did relax, it was Dominican stylists who were telling me that should not relax and had no need for it.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,117,779 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not a scientific sample, but:


Roberto Clemente
Tany Perez
Jose Cano
Jose Contreras
Jose Tartabull
Amado Samuel
Felipe Alou
Bobby Bonilla

all had/have wives who are obviously of African ancestry and children who have substantial color and African features


Some with wives/girlfriends who are white or at least much lighter:

Sammy Sosa
Livan Hernandez
Sandy Alomar
Ozzie Virgil
David Ortiz
Rod Carew
it seems many of the guys you listed with darker wives are from another time. that doesn't seem to be the way of the modern afro latino players. I was actually addressing what carib said about black American men chasing a certain type. but thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top