U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM

17,614 posts, read 19,052,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I believe it is far more on point than not. The article emphasizes African heritage rather than an association with a color. It is true that the term did come about in ignorance toward the many ethnic/cultural groups of African peoples brought over to the Americas. The identity was invented by Europeans, born out of the denial of ancestry/culture and not the other way around.

ETA: Regardless, it trumps the claim that choosing not to use the term "black" means that one is denying African heritage.
This is ONE article which attempts to connect the rejection of the label "black" with its roots in slavery. It falls short because most of the people who reject the label of "black" also do not embrace the label "Afro-(insert name of Latin American country here). Even the darkest Dominicans would NEVER call themselves Afro-Dominican.

Obviously, the reason that they are pushing back is because the connotation of "black" means of more pure West African ancestry...and therefore less European. However, there is not the same push back on a more offensive word "mulatto" which literally means "mule" (the offspring of the inferior donkey and superior horse). "Mulatto" implies heavy European ancestry so that term is deemed to be more complimentary.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:47 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,117,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Dwayne Wade talks about Gabrielle Union being his beautiful black nubian queen, yet she has all of that stiched in European, Asian, Indian or straight horse hair stitched into her head. Contradiction knows no bounds.
she's an actress, though. are you not aware that even non black actresses wear fake hair?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,117,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Coonish"? Easy there; that IS a racist word if used against a Black person. Sheesh!
the kids call it racnegro.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:35 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,676,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
She spoke in the past tense. In the past there were slavemasters.
They were slave traders or slave captors or enslavers. Not masters. In addition why use the degrading term of slaves which is like self victimization. Jews are called survivors for their experiences as enslaved and enslavers and as Holocaust victims. So Afrodiasporic peoples and descendants should use the term enslaved or SURVIVORS or descendants of SURVIVORS. It is much more self respecting. In addition Afrodiasporic people were ENSLAVED. This was something that was done to them by others. Don't blame the victim.

As Lena Horne said "A person is not born thinking they are inferior, they have to be taught to be and think that way".

Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Gabrielle Union and MANY other actresses/models (including MANY Caucasians and Latinas...see Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian) use hair extensions/weaves/hair pieces while working to reduce the damage to their own hair from the constant handling by stylists and onset lighting.

Gabrielle Union's own hair is also very lovely....

I heard Gabrielle Unions hair is not even really "nappy or coarse", which is another thing to consider. Skin color or ones "race" or what you think of them doesn't mean that they can't have naturally curly or wavy or even naturally straight hair.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,982,568 times
Quote:
They were slave traders or slave captors or enslavers. Not masters. In addition why use the degrading term of slaves which is like self victimization. Jews are called survivors for their experiences as enslaved and enslavers and as Holocaust victims. So Afrodiasporic peoples and descendants should use the term enslaved or SURVIVORS or descendants of SURVIVORS. It is much more self respecting. In addition Afrodiasporic people were ENSLAVED. This was something that was done to them by others. Don't blame the victim.

As Lena Horne said "A person is not born thinking they are inferior, they have to be taught to be and think that way".
I don't understand what you are saying. Slaves had to refer to their enslavers as "master," or they would lose their lives.

I always laud my ancestors as survivors. I do understand that they were brought to the Americas as enslaved people.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't understand what you are saying. Slaves had to refer to their enslavers as "master," or they would lose their lives.

I always laud my ancestors as survivors. I do understand that they were brought to the Americas as enslaved people.
Really? Did slaves or the enslaved really have to refer to the people that owned or enslaved them as "masters"? That is not necessarily true for all, all though it could apply to some or some aspects.

Anyways the main point I'm trying to illustrate is that one today who claims to be liberated or free would not refer to their oppressors or former oppressors as "masters". It would lead others to question whether one is really as free as they claim to be.

And in the noted flawed example of the other person I responded to, the people he was referring to really are not as free or broke off the chains that he claims such ppl have broken from. In fact some of these aforementioned posts are indicative and reflective of how mentally enslaved and conflicted they are.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:08 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,982,568 times
Quote:
Really? Did slaves or the enslaved really have to refer to the people that owned or enslaved them as "masters"? That is not necessarily true for all, all though it could apply to some or some aspects.
God, are you naive.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,003,119 times
One does not have to consider themselves "black". Period.

And if a person, who is dark skinned, wishes to not be labeled as such..it doesn't mean they are trying to be accepted by the Euro descendant "cool kids"...It just means they wish to transcend the label.

That's it!

Many people don't have the slightest inclination as to the history of the racial complex; they are just indoctrinated with the talking points. But that doesn't mean they actually HAVE the complex.

Some black people, namely Americans, need to get over the fact that many black people...the world over...do not share or perceive the same struggle they do!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 AM

17,614 posts, read 19,052,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
One does not have to consider themselves "black". Period.

And if a person, who is dark skinned, wishes to not be labeled as such..it doesn't mean they are trying to be accepted by the Euro descendant "cool kids"...It just means they wish to transcend the label.

That's it!

Many people don't have the slightest inclination as to the history of the racial complex; they are just indoctrinated with the talking points. But that doesn't mean they actually HAVE the complex.

Some black people, namely Americans, need to get over the fact that many black people...the world over...do not share or perceive the same struggle they do!
However, those same people do not have any control over how OTHERS label them. Again, they can call themselves whatever they wish but if other people see them as "black" then they are "black" particularly in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies