U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,950,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is how it used to be in the U.S. before the 1980s rolled around and the word "African-American" was popularized by a racist. After that, everybody wanted to be known as a hyphenated American.
That phenomenon occurred centuries before the advent of the term African American. And you are certainly right in one sense - black folks were always set apart by this society. They were never known as "real" Americans. They were just "Negroes," "coloreds" or worse.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son has a friend who is from DR and speaks Spanish.
He can be either Black or Hispanic.
He uses whatever race gets him the upper hand.

If you ask me, people from the DR, depending on their looks, have an edge that many others don't.
"Hispanic" is not a race...........

Old 08-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Not all Dominicans are black!
The vast majority of Dominicans are of substantial to partial African descent.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM

877 posts, read 1,075,695 times
In Latin America (and well, most cultures) black heritage is not something that is embraced.

Hispanic isn't a race. You can be of any descent and be Hispanic.

Dominicans are often mixed, but they are still seen in Latin America, and all over the world, as black. If someone throws a racial slur at them, it will be the "n" word and maybe "s" word (geared at Hispanics).

This isn't some American or western world phenomena. If you look black, you are black. Halle Berry is black, despite actually being biracial. Zoe Kravitz is black. Zoe Saldana is seen as black. In fact, due to the ignorance of most people, most will quickly say Zoe isn't Latina or Hispanic. She's not the epitome of a Latina or Hispanic woman.

When people think of Latinas, they think of Sofia Vergara.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
In Latin America (and well, most cultures) black heritage is not something that is embraced.

Hispanic isn't a race. You can be of any descent and be Hispanic.

Dominicans are often mixed, but they are still seen in Latin America, and all over the world, as black. If someone throws a racial slur at them, it will be the "n" word and maybe "s" word (geared at Hispanics).

This isn't some American or western world phenomena. If you look black, you are black. Halle Berry is black, despite actually being biracial. Zoe Kravitz is black. Zoe Saldana is seen as black. In fact, due to the ignorance of most people, most will quickly say Zoe isn't Latina or Hispanic. She's not the epitome of a Latina or Hispanic woman.

When people think of Latinas, they think of Sofia Vergara.
While you are making some good points, you can't say that "people" think of Sofia Vergara when they think of Latinas. I think of Sofia, of course (what hetero man doesn't?), but I don't have a "type" when I think of Latinas, and I am sure there are others - especially Latino(a)s, who also think differently.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
While you are making some good points, you can't say that "people" think of Sofia Vergara when they think of Latinas. I think of Sofia, of course (what hetero man doesn't?), but I don't have a "type" when I think of Latinas, and I am sure there are others - especially Latino(a)s, who also think differently.
Just check out the comments on an article about Zoe and you'll see nothing but references to the fact that she's black. She'll be called every name black women are generally called.

While Sofia Vergara is the stereotypical saucy Latina.

She is the epitome of what people think of. Just as people assume all latinos are somehow Mexican.

Sure, we play cultured online and like to say that's what's not envisioned but for the most part, people won't argue about whether or not Sofia is latina, but it's some magical debate over Zoe.

And when people think of Asian women they think of Hyori Lee (typical S. Korean look)

Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 824,030 times
Quote:

You are correct, but why should the US "one drop of "black" makes you black" standard apply to Dominicans?

Which is true, and I certainly take issue with the "1 drop" theory
It isn't a theory, it's an old law under Jim Crow that the supreme court ruled unconstitutional in 1967. Yet here we are today still practicing Jim Crow. The law was to ensure that anyone with black heritage, just one drop, would be denied rights and privileges. And also to ensure that black blood didn't contaminate the pure white race. It is incomprensible to me why people, especially black people, continue to practice ol' massa's white supremacy rule. Idiots.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Just check out the comments on an article about

Zoe and you'll see nothing but references to the fact that she's black. She'll
be called every name black women are generally called.

While Sofia Vergara is the stereotypical saucy Latina.

She is the epitome of what people think of. Just as people assume all latinos

are somehow Mexican.

Sure, we play cultured online and like to say that's what's not envisioned
but for the most part, people won't argue about whether or not Sofia is latina,
but it's some magical debate over Zoe.

You're right - and that just speaks to the ignorance of Americans (and Latins, for that matter) in general. Zoe is obviously black, and as a Dominican, obviously Latina. There should be no debate as to her claim to Latinness.

Quote:
And when people think of Asian women they think of Hyori Lee (typical S. Korean
look)
I'm pretty sure most Americans (or non-Koreans) don't even know who Hyori Lee is.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You're right - and that just speaks to the ignorance of Americans (and Latins, for that matter) in general. Zoe is obviously black, and as a Dominican, obviously Latina. There should be no debate as to her claim to Latinness.

I'm pretty sure most Americans (or non-Koreans) don't even know who Hyori Lee is.
I'm talking about her appearance. The stereotypical Kpop appearance. They think all Asians look like Kpop stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies