U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,863,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
can you fish out sarcasm? if you read what i said you would have figure it out i was not for real.... theres 4 types of blacks in the DR(american descendants, english speaking islands, haitians and dominicans with african ancestry from the spanish side of hispanolia

al horford is a decendant of cocolos no spanish surname

Yes, Bahamian to be exact. Baseball, too, is full of West-Indian-descended Dominicans. Mariano Duncan, Alfredo Griffin, George Bell, Willis Roberts, Juan Samuel, Rico Carty, etc.

Fernando Rodney, on the other hand, is of "americano" origin from Samana.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Sounds like a great course. What school?

Randy Matory at Harvard.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Answers to your questions form my POV:

1) 1960s
2) Both. Once the American product was introduced, people mixed their own concoction.
3) Oh, they'll stop eating! They will cook their concoctions at home and have a relative apply it. There are many Salon categories that go from the very cheap to the very expensive too so there's something for everyone.

From Also:
In the old days, women wore their hair tide up so it didn't matter as much. Or use the flat iron. Also, the race was less mixed in so more people with fine hair and more people with really bad hair. Now there is a huge group with mixed hair.

Yes, Dominican women have a strong desire to look Caucasian. Few embrace their natural hair. Generally, WE find caucasian to be the most beautiful thing and are very attracted to it. Maybe the "opposites attract" have something to do with it.

And yes, people who do not tend to their hair are considered unkempt. The preference is to have it straight but just the impression that you did something with it helps too. I don't know many Dominicans who do not take care of their hair one way or the other. The word "greñas" is a popular insult in DR. It means really bad, unkempt hair. On a funny note, a couple of years ago, the president of the country facilitate an unknown amount of money so women would be able to do an up-do for New Years.

Oh, I could talk and talk about this...been there done that...glad to be an adult...but I am hungry so gotta go.
I hope you're not hungry because you spent too much on hair care, hermana................

Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I hope you're not hungry because you spent too much on hair care, hermana................
Noooo. Just because I had not eaten all day. I am feeling great now, just had some white rice with beans prepared by the best available cook: ME!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Noooo. Just because I had not eaten all day. I am feeling great now, just had some white rice with beans prepared by the best available cook: ME!
drool.............

Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,723,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
A look at race in another country.
Dictator Rafael Trujillo was responsible for the massacares of thousands of Haitians on the country largely becuase they appear more black than Dominicans and because Haitians are considered outcasts in Dominica and large amounts of Haitians moved to Dominica and there was a fear that Dominica would be completly swamped by Haitians. However he just before WW2 allowed Jews from Europe to settle in the country and was the only nation that would allow them, yet only a few thousand Jews made it there. The reason why he allowed the Jews to settle there was the Jews were white and he wanted to increase the amount of white people there.

Anyway it does not surprise me that many people in the country try to look white such as skin bleaching creams, and this is also big in India. In India most of the actors and actresses are lighter skinned compared to an majority of Indians.

Last edited by other99; 06-28-2010 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Dictator Rafael Trujillo was responsible for the massacares of thousands of Haitians on the country largely becuase they appear more black than Dominicans and because Haitians are considered outcasts in Dominica and large amounts of Haitians moved to Dominica and there was a fear that Dominica would be completly swamped by Haitians. However he just before WW2 allowed Jews from Europe to settle in the country and was the only nation that would allow them, yet only a few thousand Jews made it there. The reason why he allowed the Jews to settle there was the Jews were white and he wanted to increase the amount of white people there.

Anyway it does not surprise me that many people in the country try to look white such as skin bleaching creams, and this is also big in India. In India most of the actors and actresses are lighter skinned compared to an majority of Indians.
I don't think you mean "Dominica." That is another Caribbean island.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

First, is not Dominica, that is another island. It is Dominican Republic.

Yes, Trujillo had hisn way of thinking, but, Hatians are not well liked in DR because the time they invaded the island and because their inability to progress-they simply have not evolved as fast/efficiently as Dominicans have and tend to bring with them lots of problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,649,903 times
I often wonder what Dominicans think about brown-skinned, kinky/curly haired African Americans who are educated and successful in the US. It must be somewhat of an oxymoron for them. On the other hand I think it would be inspirational.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Not a clue. I did vote for Obama, if that counts for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies