Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
I'm from Central America, and most people where I am from are mixed, myself included. But it is not too hard to tell by looking at me that I mostly have African ancestors.

Where in central america?

all of the people I've met from central america look like Mexicans, but also the vast majority of central america is Mestizo and indian.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post

all of the people I've met from central america look like Mexicans, but also the vast majority of central america is Mestizo and indian.

All true. But the whole Atlantic/Caribbean coastal strip is full of African/Native mixed people and Afro-Caribbean descendants. And Panama as a whole has large numbers of black descendants of slaves (Afro Colonial) and West Indian immigrants (Afro Antillanos).

Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Just to comment on this, I think the problem is the US categorization of race.
There's always one idiot who has to blame world racism on the US, as if the US invented it or something.

People need to see more of the world. If they did they'd realize that the US isn't nearly as racist as many of the homogeneous countries in Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Here's just one example- Italy, a country united by racism.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:

Belize, which is about 40 percent black. My grandmother was born in Honduras to West Indian parents and my grandfather was raised there as well.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah. I know Cubans and Dominicans who look like they'd fit right in in Dakar or Accra or Ibadan, but say they're mulatto. Others say they're "indio."

Here is an article about a Dominican of Hatian descent who has a hard time getting a passport to play baseball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/wo...pagewanted=all

I remember the Angel Luis Joseph story. Just insane. All of the anti-Haitian bs in Dominican culture is so idiotic.[/quote]
Haitians get treated the worst of all of the nationalities in the Americas, probably because they were the first free black republic.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
All true. But the whole Atlantic/Caribbean coastal strip is full of African/Native mixed people and Afro-Caribbean descendants. And Panama as a whole has large numbers of black descendants of slaves (Afro Colonial) and West Indian immigrants (Afro Antillanos).

Yeah Panama is pretty diverse in it's population, west and central panama is definatley more mestizo than east panama the black population resides.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Belize, which is about 40 percent black. My grandmother was born in Honduras to West Indian parents and my grandfather was raised there as well.

According to this belize is around 30% black

Ethnic groups: mestizo 48.7%, Creole 24.9%, Maya 10.6%, Garifuna 6.1%, other 9.7% (2000 census)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
According to this belize is around 30% black

Ethnic groups: mestizo 48.7%, Creole 24.9%, Maya 10.6%, Garifuna 6.1%, other 9.7% (2000 census)
OK

Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
I was randomly scanning the new books area of my local library and found this:

The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris, by Mark Kurlansky

It's packed with historical information about San Pedro and baseball, the cocolo influence, etc.

A couple of hilarious anecdotes in there about George Bell, Tony Fernandez and others.

Unfortunately, there are also some really stupid characterizations of people and shocking lack of fact-checking and bad editing.

So the book is great on some levels, bad on others. Still worth looking at.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I was randomly scanning the new books area of my local library and found this:

The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris, by Mark Kurlansky

It's packed with historical information about San Pedro and baseball, the cocolo influence, etc.

A couple of hilarious anecdotes in there about George Bell, Tony Fernandez and others.

Unfortunately, there are also some really stupid characterizations of people and shocking lack of fact-checking and bad editing.

So the book is great on some levels, bad on others. Still worth looking at.
I will def check it out man, I am bout to google it in a few minutes when I get off. BTW, here is a video of West Indians in the DR.

YouTube - Los Guloyas the older generation

YouTube - San Pedro de Macoris
George Bell and Alfredo Griffin getting down at the end with Mr Henderson(St Kitts origin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies