Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

SACRAMENTO — In what could be a game-changer for next year's California governor's race, former President Bill Clinton is throwing his support behind San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Reports: Bill Clinton to endorse Gavin Newsom in governor's race - San Jose Mercury News

Clinton Backs Newsom in Calif. Governor’s Race: ‘Not Just Your Everyday Endorsement’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

Cool. I've been for Newsom since he announced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
It shouldn't be much of a race, Schwarzenegger's a Republican in name only, the left controls the Republic of California. And what a fine job of management at that!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
It shouldn't be much of a race, Schwarzenegger's a Republican in name only, the left controls the Republic of California. And what a fine job of management at that!
Schwarzenegger is not running.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
SACRAMENTO — In what could be a game-changer for next year's California governor's race, former President Bill Clinton is throwing his support behind San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Reports: Bill Clinton to endorse Gavin Newsom in governor's race - San Jose Mercury News

Clinton Backs Newsom in Calif. Governor’s Race: ‘Not Just Your Everyday Endorsement’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

Cool. I've been for Newsom since he announced.
Can't say I'm excited to vote for Newsom, but I think he's pro-pot, so I might go for him. He's also pro-massive government, and I'm against that.

But regardless, if he wins (or if Arnold doesn't run) it's gonna be better than the joke we've had for a governor since Davis was recalled...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Can't say I'm excited to vote for Newsom, but I think he's pro-pot, so I might go for him. He's also pro-massive government, and I'm against that.

But regardless, if he wins (or if Arnold doesn't run) it's gonna be better than the joke we've had for a governor since Davis was recalled...
Newsom isn't pro-pot, and TBF neither is Jerry Brown. Nor are 2 of the 3 GOP candidates.

The only major party candidate who's close to being pro-pot is Republican Tom Campbell who IN THE PAST was pro-drug legalization - now he's backed down and merely saying there should be studies done to investigate the possibility of legalization.

The reason why? Everyone wants money from the prison guards union who are the most corrupting force in CA politics and bear a great deal of responsibility for the state fiscal crisis.

As for Clinton - he has old grudges against Brown and won't easily forget them.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Arnold can't run. Can he??

Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Schwarzenegger is not running.
He's not legally allowed to run.

Of course, any Republican who fails instantly becomes a "Republican in name only", not just moderates like Arnold but even hard core conservatives. Meanwhile a successful Republican is never a "RINO".

Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post

Therein lies California's major problem - one issue voters. They have one issue that's near and dear to their heart, so they ignore the thousands of other issues that will affect the state in many more ways just to vote for their "guy".

Newsom is the ultimate "nanny state" champion. He thinks everyone is too stupid to make any decisions for themselves. And he will probably win, thanks to the people that only vote for one issue - pot, same-sex marriage, etc. Yup - Arnold is a huge disappointment, but Newsom is NOT the answer.

No matter, though. I'll be gone from this state long before that happens.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Newsom isn't pro-pot, and TBF neither is Jerry Brown. Nor are 2 of the 3 GOP candidates.

The only major party candidate who's close to being pro-pot is Republican Tom Campbell who IN THE PAST was pro-drug legalization - now he's backed down and merely saying there should be studies done to investigate the possibility of legalization.

The reason why? Everyone wants money from the prison guards union who are the most corrupting force in CA politics and bear a great deal of responsibility for the state fiscal crisis.

As for Clinton - he has old grudges against Brown and won't easily forget them.
I liked Campbell in the past, and he's VERY well educated (he graduated from Law School and also got a PHD in Economics from Chicago, professor and dean at Cal...) , so he's likely to be the person I support unless I see the polls being highly skewed, and then I'll just vote for the Libertarian candidate.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Therein lies California's major problem - one issue voters. They have one issue that's near and dear to their heart, so they ignore the thousands of other issues that will affect the state in many more ways just to vote for their "guy".
That's not how I vote. I just personally wont even consider a candidate who is dumb enough to think that marijuana prohibition is a good idea, and if they have the balls to actually admit that they are pro-legalization (which would bring billions into the state's economy) I will at least have to give them a look. I have a rule that I will not support a candidate if he's against any of my 5 most important issues that year, so I almost always end up voting for a Libertarian candidate. I research very much before I vote, but since it's still a year before the election, I haven't done much research because the candidates aren't even final yet.
You will hardly find anyone who is MORE informed on the candidates than I am, I listen to every debate and study their positions very carefully before I make my decision.

Quote:
Newsom is the ultimate "nanny state" champion. He thinks everyone is too stupid to make any decisions for themselves. And he will probably win, thanks to the people that only vote for one issue - pot, same-sex marriage, etc. Yup - Arnold is a huge disappointment, but Newsom is NOT the answer.
I said something along the lines of "Newsom is pro big government and I'm against that", because I am against the stupid Democrat laws that eliminate choice and freedom. I believe that there should be smoking bars and restaurants, I believe that trans fats should be availble to those who want them, I believe that I should be able to smoke flavored tobacco if I want, and most Democrats believe that a Paternalistic government should protect us from them.

Quote:
No matter, though. I'll be gone from this state long before that happens.
I've lived in a number of states, and California is by far the best, if you're not happy in California, chances are you wont be happy anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies