U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 AM

3,854 posts, read 3,742,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Carter calls Wilson a racist but his attitude toward Jews is at least as racist as he can stick on anybody else. It is a shame that he said that but then all these lefty Democrats here all of a sudden think more of him than anybody has for years.
I've respected President Carter for YEARS. One thing I find refreshing about him is that he says he a Christian and he actually backs up his words with actions of kindness and love. What a concept, huh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 AM

20,357 posts, read 13,874,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdash View Post
If you notice, President Obama is the one person who has never complained. I think he's smart enough and secure enough to take what is dished out. That does not mean, however, that it is admirable in others to do the dishing out.

We should be able to discuss these issues without rudeness and personal remarks -- aren't we all adults?
You have a short memory.

During the campaign,even when their was no racism to decry, 0bama would just make it up, and then bludgeon his opponents with it anyway.

All during the campaign, speech after speech, 0bama would accuse Sen. McCain or the RNC of being racists. 0bama would whine and moan about racist campaign ads, even though there never were any racist ads,

0bama made multiple speeches blasting McCain for racist campaing ads that 0bama said he thought McCain would run. 0bama even went so far as to describe these imaginary ads, just to play the victim of mean old racists. How pathetic!

Quote:
"We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?"
Quote:
"Nobody thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face. So what they are going to try to do is make you scared of me," Obama warned a crowd in Springfield this morning. "You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all of those other presidents on the dollar bills."

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM

20,357 posts, read 13,874,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
So where does he get his info? FOX? Glenn Beck? Stormfront?
If you watch ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC you would not know who Van Jones was, or anything about the recent ACORN scandals, so tell me why bother watching the lollipops and gumdrops media if they keep you blissfully ignorant?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM

16,280 posts, read 9,109,415 times
Jimmy Carter is now and always has been a half baked idiot.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM

14 posts, read 28,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Maybe he hasn't proven himself a warmonger yet...but he's definitely not the peacenik that he tried to portray on the campaign trail.
On the campaign trail, Obama spoke out against being in Iraq, while arguing that Afghanistan was "the right war."

I pointed this out during the campaign, but quite a few friends of mine seemed to be more interested in what their idea of what Obama would say than what the man was actually saying. Now they are upset and feel betrayed.

Oh well.

Obama is a politcian. Not a saint, not satan. And for all his talk about change, he is much more an agent for the statue quo than either side seems willing to give him credit (or blame) for.

A change agent
  • would have sent to congress a healthcare bill that would have called for medicare for all and the phasing out of the health insurance industry
  • would have called for unilateral withdrawal of troops from foreign soil, ALL FOREIGN SOIL within 12 months of his swearing in
  • would have targetted bailout money at actual borrowers instead of the financial institutions that got us into this mess
  • would NOT have surrounded himself with members of the Clinton White House
  • Would cut the defense budget and take the savings to improve infrastructure and help pay for universal healthcare and education.
This is what I don't get. The right in this country is getting pretty much what it wants from an Obama adminstration and progressives are pretty much, well, not.

But we have become a nation of Pavlovian dogs. We see and R or an D after someone's name and we are expected to love or hate accordingly with little to no regard to what the politician is actually offering.

It's madness.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If you watch ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC you would not know who Van Jones was, or anything about the recent ACORN scandals, so tell me why bother watching the lollipops and gumdrops media if they keep you blissfully ignorant?
Watching ABC, CBS, etc., etc., does not exclude one from watching, listening to, and reading other news sources. I was certainly aware of the Van Jones issue. Roysoldboy keeps all who post/read here well information regarding Glenn Beck's shows.

I suppose, however, one could say the same if someone watches only FOX, Glenn Beck, etc., etc...........why bother watching/reading other sources if the right-wing media keeps you blissfully angry over non-issues?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Jimmy Carter is now and always has been a half baked idiot.
Even half-baked idiots get something right once in a while. And in this case, Jimmy Carter is right; we do have a lot of closet racists in this country. We also have a lot of people who like to say "Hussein" Obama which shows to me their intolerance of foreign and "strange" names (foreign and strange to them), intolerance of other religions (shown by constant alluding to the word, "Muslim".)

The signs at the 9-12 march said it all. What an embarrassment. They were not protesting policy, they were upholding deep-seated hatred and fear. I really thought that our country was beyond that, but it has been shown that we are regressing and going backwards instead of progressing and moving forwards. And now, other countries are moving ahead, while we get stuck in this quagmire of religious fanatics, right-wing extremists, etc. What a bunch of time wasters. We have so much to get done and address and we can't because some people can't get past the Boogey-man that's in their own mind.

Last edited by Donna7; 09-16-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,116,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I find it amazing that people are making claims that "left wingers" are trying to start a race war. WHY? Exactly how would a "race war" benefit the so-called left? Specifics, please.

I cannot think of even one "positive" outcome of a "race war" for people with more progressive views, or anyone else, for that matter, other than white nationalists. I think a "race war" is a new talking point for white nationalists. Until reading the absurd accusations made here about the "left" wanting to start a race war, the only thing the term "race war" ever made me think of was Charles Manson, who was/is quite a mad man and racist!

IMO, many people on the far right, white nationalists in particular, are actully projecting their own desires and goals onto the "left" in order to confuse the issue and try to put liberal (or the "left" as is your choice of words) posters/citizens on the defensive.
You are exactly right. The dream of these white nationalists heart is that they undo the defeat of the south in the Civil War so they can once again own their fellow man. They have clung, for generations, to the ignorant idea that they are superior just by benefit of the color of their skin. As more and more events have proved this a foolish idea they have become more and more angry and frustrated. The election of an educated, intelligent black man as THEIR president has pushed them over the edge. Deep in their heart they know now that all their ignorant feelings of superiority have been proven completely false now. And since the color of their skin was the only thing they had going for them they are now truly defeated. It frightens them, angers them, and makes them very dangerous.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM

59 posts, read 148,423 times
Let me get this straight. So, it's ok for left to call GW a monkey, and even worse names. But a republican congressman calls Obama a "liar" and now, he is a racist? Liberals certainly do have double standard, don't they?

Also, Obama won, because Americans were simply tired of the war and the recession, which people blamed on Republicans. Pendulum will swing back and Obama will be voted out for his job performance, not because he is black.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyj1976 View Post
Let me get this straight. So, it's ok for left to call GW a monkey, and even worse names. But a republican congressman calls Obama a "liar" and now, he is a racist? Liberals certainly do have double standard, don't they?

Also, Obama won, because Americans were simply tired of the war and the recession, which people blamed on Republicans. Pendulum will swing back and Obama will be voted out for his job performance, not because he is black.
Joe Wilson is more than just a "republican congressman." He is a lifelong Southern man, from an old Southern family. He is/was also a partner in a law firm. A member of Sons of Confederate Veterans......he has a history of at least growing up in the "racist South"....South Carolina no less (no offense cuebald) ......I'll bet when he was a child he saw lots of "colored" and "white" signs posted above water fountains, etc. Of course he must have felt "entitled" to shout out "You lie" to a black man speaking to Congress! He let down his guard for a minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Wil....S._politician)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies