U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,836,799 times
Reputation: 297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I've respected President Carter for YEARS. One thing I find refreshing about him is that he says he a Christian and he actually backs up his words with actions of kindness and love. What a concept, huh!

Exactly, all the talk about Carter being the worst president, but Carter has done far more to help people in his career after the White House than any POTUS ever has, and he quite honestly speaks the truth in a allot of cases from an un-biased perspective. I have seen him scold the US as well as Hezbollah in certain cases, all that tells me is he does not march to the beat of someone else's drum. IMO the things Carter has done and continue to do will shine much brighter after he passes. And about this whole racist tone towards Obama, Iím not saying it permeates every aspect of disagreements and debates in regards to his policies, but when it rears it's heads it is quite obvious, and anyone with their radar up can see it. I actually just sit back and laugh as the birthers, tea-party enthusiasts, etc, are just digging their own graves. To the masses of us young people, both black and white they come off looking real silly and dumb, and all that will do is further alienate that particular portion of America in the years to come. I am beyond trying to change people like that, I am however confident that their fight is a losing one, with the way America is going they will be a fringe group of wackos in 30 years. But even with that the Republicans sealed their fate not with the youth but with the handling of the Hispanic community, 30 years from now that will come back to seriously bite them in the @ss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Florida
26 posts, read 72,515 times
Reputation: 16
I am tired of of people yelling "Racist!" whenever something happens between two people of different races. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe someone might just be angry at Obama for what he says - and that it might not be about his race at all? I don't agree with how/when the senator voiced his opinion, but the strength of this country is that we can all have differing views. Let's stop going back to the racism "crutch" all the time - it's getting old and it is non-productive. It is too easy to skip over the real issues when you are yelling "racist!". And often, dealing with the real issue is what takes the most effort from us all. It takes the most time, wisdom and patience. But it is worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Reading, PA
4,059 posts, read 3,875,672 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany blair View Post
I am tired of of people yelling "Racist!" whenever something happens between two people of different races. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe someone might just be angry at Obama for what he says - and that it might not be about his race at all? I don't agree with how/when the senator voiced his opinion, but the strength of this country is that we can all have differing views. Let's stop going back to the racism "crutch" all the time - it's getting old and it is non-productive. It is too easy to skip over the real issues when you are yelling "racist!". And often, dealing with the real issue is what takes the most effort from us all. It takes the most time, wisdom and patience. But it is worth the effort.
It's ok to yell "racist" when there is racism. To not do so is to condone racism with silence. And the truth is that there are racists fueling the anti-Obama tone in this country.

Certainly not everyone who disagrees with Obama is a racist; I disagree with a lot of what he's doing and I'm not racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Reputation: 7898
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I would watch your video of Maddow show but I do not watch confused women who think they are a man. I have my principles.
Your statement says volumes. Rachel Maddow received her first college degree from Stanford in Public Policy. She then received a Rhodes Scholarship and used it to earn a Doctorate in Political Science from Oxford University.

On the other hand, Glen Beck admits that he's a shock jock who barely made it through high school.

So the reason you won't listen to anything Rachel Maddow says is what? Because of her personal lifestyle and what she might be doing in her monogamous relationship in her own home?


And you are against the government telling you what to do?

Last edited by justNancy; 09-16-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: changed back to original post since someone quoted me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Reading, PA
4,059 posts, read 3,875,672 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I would watch your video of Maddow show but I do not watch confused women who think they are a man. I have my principles.
You must be confused. Maddow knows she's a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,836,799 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Your statement says volumes. Rachel Maddow received her first college degree from Stanford in Public Policy. She the received a Rhodes Scholarship and used it to earn a Doctorate in Political Science from Oxford University.

On the other hand, Glen Beck admits that he's a shock jock who barely made it through high school.

So the reason you won't listen to anything Rachel Maddow says is what? Because of her personal lifestyle and what she might be doing in her monogamous relationship in her own home?

And you are against the government telling you what to do?

Good post, Rep points for that one.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
 
26,195 posts, read 18,890,991 times
Reputation: 14041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep.....
keep that in mind the next time you begin shrieking insipidly for the umpteenth time that whoever happens to be disagreeing with you at the moment is a white nationalist david duke-supporting stormfront afficionado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Texas, Finally!
5,348 posts, read 10,820,771 times
Reputation: 2438
Carter is an Anti-Semite. He has NO right to call anyone a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Reputation: 7898
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
[FONT=Verdana]Exactly, all the talk about Carter being the worst president, but Carter has done far more to help people in his career after the White House than any POTUS ever has,[/FONT]
Although I don't always agree with former President Carter, I agree with this statement. I also believe he was a much better leader than he's given credit for, because he was followed by Reagan and Bush 41 and was vilified by the Republicans to look like a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Carter is an Anti-Semite. He has NO right to call anyone a racist.
I'm Jewish and, as I already wrote, I don't agree with Carter on everything. However, there is a line between hatred of the Jewish people and political opposition to Israel. I'm just not sure how thin that line is. Some of his statements have been troubling, however.

Can anyone find a reliable source with Carter's statement in 1976 about keeping our country "ethnically pure?" I remember when he said something like this, but we didn't have youtube back then!

Last edited by justNancy; 09-16-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,655,114 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm Jewish and, as I already wrote, I don't agree with Carter on everything. However, there is a line between hatred of the Jewish people and political opposition to Israel. I'm just not sure how thin that line is. Some of his statements have been troubling, however.
The notion that Jimmy Carter is antisemitic is about as absurd as it gets. His book, "Peace not apartheid" was very critical of Israel, more so than we in America often hear in the press. However, considering Carter's work on the Camp David Accords, in which resulted in Sadat and Begin sharing the 1978 Nobel Peace Prize, millions of dollars of subsidies going to both Egypt and Israel and all this under threat of all out war by various Muslim nations and the assassination of Rabin by a Jewish extremist. At no time in history of this conflict did the two sides come closer to reaching a viable peace than under Carter.

Carter is many things and folks will argue forever over his Presidency, but the notion that he is antisemitic is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top