U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,894,201 times
Reputation: 1679

Advertisements

He should try selling a War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,655,114 times
Reputation: 3676
I wouldn't say no one believes him, in fact a great many people still do believe in him but I'm willing to bet that if the elections were held this Nov4th, the outcome might not be so assured.

Obama spoke of ending the war and occupation of Iraq, transparency from his administration, a revival of the economy, reform of health care, and numerous other smaller issues. I'm sure he wishes he could tackle all those issues and I think anyone would be a fool to believe he could accomplish all those things, but here we are today.

In America, anyone can be President and that is one of the risks you take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,894,201 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I wouldn't say no one believes him, in fact a great many people still do believe in him but I'm willing to bet that if the elections were held this Nov4th, the outcome might not be so assured.

Obama spoke of ending the war and occupation of Iraq, transparency from his administration, a revival of the economy, reform of health care, and numerous other smaller issues. I'm sure he wishes he could tackle all those issues and I think anyone would be a fool to believe he could accomplish all those things, but here we are today.

In America, anyone can be President and that is one of the risks you take.
Perhaps, but that assumption is based upon the present political climate. Fundamentally the GOP has not made inroads until the next election, and until a campaign gets underway, polls by either side seeking advantage beyond a specific issue are exercises in grandstanding and posturing. (And they know it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,655,114 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Perhaps, but that assumption is based upon the present political climate. Fundamentally the GOP has not made inroads until the next election, and until a campaign gets underway, polls by either side seeking advantage beyond a specific issue are exercises in grandstanding and posturing. (And they know it)
To be honest, I don't think it really matters who ended up in office, as far as public sentiment towards government and the office of the President is concerned.

If McCain had won, it would be much of the same, but with the tables turned. Too many people seem to focus on the President as though he legislates, executes and judges the law, when in fact he is just one part of a greater system of government.

People are angry and bummed out right now and rightly so. They watch as unemployment numbers keep rising, gas and food prices rise, their retirements vanish in a month, health care cost rising faster than wages, etc... all these things make for an unhappy population and Obama did what all politicians do, they promise the world to get elected. I realize the partisans will act shocked at a person doing whatever it takes to ascend to the Presidency, after all this is the first time it has been done, right?

The truly sad part is that while everyone is so busy with the personality of party politics gotcha they neglect the philosophies of politics and the principles of a position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Didn't he appear on all of the News Shows? Fox News isn't a news show, is it?
No, it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,868,412 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
He should try selling a War.
Maybe real estate too. But, I don't think President Obama is as big as BS'er as Bush was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 PM
 
2,659 posts, read 2,569,074 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3est21 View Post
Saw that article. Thought it was interesting.

Couldn't imagine how people still believe him after all he promised during the campaign, the stimulus package, or now healthcare.
The stimulus and healthcare were 2 of his campaign promises.
Politifact keeps a running total of his broken promises here:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

They have him at 41 promises kept
7 broken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
 
8,640 posts, read 7,951,915 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Sounds like a racial slur to me.

Wow another left winger with a deck of race cards! Only RACIST see race in everything. If you watched any of hussein oabam's speeches to different groups you would witness all his differing personalities and they differing accents for the way he talks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,392,230 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
The stimulus and healthcare were 2 of his campaign promises.
Politifact keeps a running total of his broken promises here:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

They have him at 41 promises kept
7 broken

And the 7 broken ones are far more important then the worthless other ones.

The amount does not matter, the value of them is what counts.

So far, he has only kept the very easy anyone can do it ones and FAILED on all the most important ones.

Nice try, but he has been a utter failure at major promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,868,412 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Wow another left winger with a deck of race cards! Only RACIST see race in everything. If you watched any of hussein oabam's speeches to different groups you would witness all his differing personalities and they differing accents for the way he talks.
Oh no, not another right winger who is hearing subliminal messages from President Obama. You folks need to stop watching every episode of GLEN BECK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top