Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let me know when medical school applications drop below prospective class size.
For starters, you need to know a little about applying for the program. A guy with an art history degree can apply to be a doctor (and they do). They have about a zero % change of getting in but they can apply.

At the UofMN, 1400 students applied for the dentistry school for 95 slots. It's the only game in MN.

The average GPA was 3.6 that got accepted. For the record, 3.6 isn't exactly a great. Pre-med and Pre-dental are the same program. It's basically a biology degree with a twist. I'll let you take the the Doctor with the Art History major.

What is my point??? A major portion of people who apply for a doctor are not remotely qualified. So your statement is a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
yeah.. the doctors who aren't in it for actually taking care of patients.. 45 percent would probably be the people who are in it for the money and lifestyle...
there are bad doctors in this country.. in fact a lot of them... so I'm not worried.. take the dollar signs out of their eyes and it will weed out the people who aren't in it for the right reasons, and make medical education more accessible so that those who want to do it for the right reasons and would be good at it can have the chance to do it.
Why do you go to work?? I go for the money? Do you go "for the right reasons"???

Think a little deeper. The work load will double for less money. The policy is getting ramrodded down their throat. That's a little demotivating and they are p_ssed off. How dare they vent.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:53 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Sure. No problem.

They can quit. Others will be willing to take their spots.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:01 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For starters, you need to know a little about applying for the program. A guy with an art history degree can apply to be a doctor (and they do). They have about a zero % change of getting in but they can apply.

At the UofMN, 1400 students applied for the dentistry school for 95 slots. It's the only game in MN.

The average GPA was 3.6 that got accepted. For the record, 3.6 isn't exactly a great. Pre-med and Pre-dental are the same program. It's basically a biology degree with a twist. I'll let you take the the Doctor with the Art History major.

What is my point??? A major portion of people who apply for a doctor are not remotely qualified. So your statement is a moot point.
You haven't got the most remote chance of proving this. 80-90% of those who apply might well complete the program. Medical enrollment is kept artificially low in this country.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You haven't got the most remote chance of proving this. 80-90% of those who apply might well complete the program. Medical enrollment is kept artificially low in this country.

Yes. Medical enrollment is controlled. Certainly part of the reasoning is to control the quantity of doctors to keep wages high. Same goes for dentistry. The argument is to control the quality (not quantity) but I'm not buying that argument. It's one of the reasons why I liked my daughter choice to go into dentistry (wages). If I am paying for over $200K in education, I wanted to know a lot more information than a passive observer.

Saying that. I talked with the admissions office at the U of MN. I am merely repeating what one of the department head stated. So I'm not trying to "prove" anything. It was an opinion from someone who sees all of the applicants and I assume he might know a little more about it than you or I.

The conversation came up because I was concerned on how competitive it was for dentistry (and wanted her to explore an MD if she didn't get into dentistry). Dentistry is considered more competitive (less slots). He said "the majority had no business to apply for an MD" and that my daughters GPA and ACT scores were promising.

For all I know the majority could mean 51% of 75%. All I know is according to him, there were a lot of less than ideal candidates.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
I'm a physician and the term "quitting" is a strong word. However, what is realistic is many physicians I've spoken to have said they will refuse to take patients on the public option if it ever materializes. There are many physicians who refuse to take any Medicaid patients...yes, the same Govt run Medicaid! Just like we refuse certain insurance plans that don't reimburse well or provide us with too many hassles, we will just refuse the public option plan. Sure, we might see less patients but it's about quality not quantity. If I can see less patients but those patients are on good plans that allow me to treat the patient effectively without prohibiting me or having me get authorization on many treatment options, I will go with that.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

The talent that is going into medicine now is astonishing. It's getting more competitive each year to get into medical school. The avg GPA's at some programs are approaching 3.9 and that too these applicants are required to take 8 semesters of basic science with lab. The avg MCAT is also increased. Competition to get in is brutal. I learned that my school had 3500 applications for 120 spots.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-17-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Let them quit, They probably sucked enough insurance companies dry...raising our rates...high enough to play golf sipping brandy out of a pocket flask all day for the rest of they're lives!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Investors.com - 45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

So much for the phony rhetoric that doctors are on his side. Geez, how many more lies is the man going to be caught telling?
I saw this too, on Cavuto yesterday, when he interviewed a doctor. She said she didn't want to quit, but she would if Obama Care passes.

It's understandable. No doctor wants a bureaucrat telling them what tests, etc are needed or determining how much they might be paid for their service. Who would want to be a doctor under those circiumstances?

This was totally predictable.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Poll: Most doctors favor public option mix - UPI.com

"NEW YORK, Sept. 15 (UPI) -- Sixty-three percent of U.S.physicians support health reform that includes both a public option and traditional private insurance, a survey indicates."

It's a matter of learning basic facts, is all.

Last edited by Geechie North; 09-17-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies