U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Doctors are sworn to help people, first and formost they're jobs are to heal people and the people are supposed to come before the money...bottom line.
Any doctor who is opposed to EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN having healthcare at the risk of getting paid a little less money and seeing a few more patients is greedy and shouldnt be a doctor.
How quickly money makes us forget our oaths.
Not all of them....here are some DECENT human humane intelligent docs...

www.madashelldoctors.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,113,753 times
Default sickofbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Keyhani said that "nearly three-quarters of physicians supported some form of a public option, either alone or in combination with private insurance options." According to the poll, 63% of physicians said they favor giving patients the option of a public plan in addition to private insurance options, while 10% said they favor the public plan only -- adding up to 73% in total support for a public option. According to the researchers, they found strong support for the public option among all categories of physicians.

Poll Finds Majority of Physicians Back Public Option in Health Reform - California Healthline
Funny how changing a few seemingly insignificant words can lead to huge and erroneous leaps in logic. Turning 10% into 73%. You know that's the way it's played. This is a perfect example of where the fuzzy thinkers get their fuzz. "Three quarters of all doctors support Obamacare" .
Reality : Forty percent of doctors will seriously consider retirement if we adopt the public option. Or end up there.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,098,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I am more interested in what the employees of the insurance companies have to say. The doctors are going to get their money regardless of what happens, it's the people employed by the insurance companies whose jobs are on the line.
Its those people who drive the cost of healthcare up. When your premiums go up its likely their salaries or stock go up.

If you really want to reduce the cost of healthcare, remove all the people from the beauracracy and have them take more productive jobs. Have them get CNA certificates or nursing degrees. If there are more of those in the job market, then the competition for jobs should lower wages or reduce overtime.

When I worked as a CNA, I was able to get overtime hours equal to my regular time pay because of a lack of people. This was up until May of '09 when i left my job for P.A. school.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,098,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Funny how changing a few seemingly insignificant words can lead to huge and erroneous leaps in logic. Turning 10% into 73%. You know that's the way it's played. This is a perfect example of where the fuzzy thinkers get their fuzz. "Three quarters of all doctors support Obamacare" .
Reality : Forty percent of doctors will seriously consider retirement if we adopt the public option. Or end up there.
How do you say that the person is changing 10% to 73%.

63% Want a public option to compete with the private ones

10% Want a public option only

73% total favor the concept of having a public option in some form

To me it seems like the person can add and is just emphasizing that 73%of physicians would like to see a public option of some form.

Where's your statistic based? Is your 40% the AMA membership (who are opposed to a public option) plus the extreme right wing that are afraid they may make less money?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Doctors are sworn to help people, first and formost they're jobs are to heal people and the people are supposed to come before the money...bottom line.
Any doctor who is opposed to EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN having healthcare at the risk of getting paid a little less money and seeing a few more patients is greedy and shouldnt be a doctor.
How quickly money makes us forget our oaths.
You are right. Patients should come before money. And I think with most doctors, they do. Doctors don't make nearly as much money as they used to, but they still work.

But the pay should also be equal to the level of the work, the responsibility, and the liability involved. You don't have the right to anyone's work. Period.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You're wrong. It would cover everything we need and want....and still a bunch of crap that we don't need or want. I've gotten the quotes and the details, our family would be nicely covered for just over $300 per month. However, any type of HR3200 plan will severely shrink (if not eliminate) the private market and HDHP's won't be legal in the health insurance exchange so we'll be out of luck. We'll end up paying for the exchange plans that have to cover everything down to a trip to the doctor to get zit cream. I'd rather save thousand of dollars on premiums and pay for the small stuff OOP.
Crazy right...actually wanting to pay for some of our own health care to keep the overall costs down. We must be NUTS.
No, just foolish. It won't keep your costs down as much as you think. It'll cover what you don't need much (hospitalization), and not cover what you do need (doctor visits).

My 22 yr old daughter has a bare-bones private insurance policy, and she is paying $130/mo. Doesn't cover much. I don't know how you can get a family of 4 covered for $300/mo and still have anything other than catastrophic care. You can joke about zit cream, but wait till you go to pay for it!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,130,532 times
Bogus poll...doctors are fed up with insurance companies but good luck trying to get a DR to accept just Medicare for services..don't let the door hit you on the way out...that's how they feel about the feds and it takes them way too long to collect money...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,008,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, just self-righteous.

My 22 yr old daughter has a bare-bones private insurance policy, and she is paying $130/mo. Doesn't cover much. I don't know how you can get a family of 4 covered for $300/mo and still have anything other than catastrophic care. You can joke about zit cream, but wait till you go to pay for it!
I'm sorry your daughter has such a lousy policy. Maybe she should shop around or maybe that's the best she can get in your state. What's her deductible? Most people only need a catastrophic policy and a little bit of savings to pay the day to day stuff and deductible.

Zit cream = $20 for about a 6 month supply. Big whoop. The Rx was CHEAPER than the ineffective OTC my kid had been using.

Part of the reason health insurance is so expensive is because people expect it to cover everything. Imagine if your car insurance had to cover everything from a burned out light bulb or fuse to a new battery to an oil change. How affordable do you think it would be? How about your home insurance....add in coverage for appliance replacement, the wax gasket under the toilet, replacing broken or outdated fixtures, painting and maintaining the exterior and the policy would be ridiculously expensive. It just isn't necessary to cover everything. Do you really want to pay for that kind of home insurance at maybe 5-6 times the cost of your current policy?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,008,762 times
Quote:
No, just foolish. It won't keep your costs down as much as you think. It'll cover what you don't need much (hospitalization), and not cover what you do need (doctor visits).
LOL, but that's how ALL other insurance works. It covers the big stuff and YOU pay for the little stuff. ALL other forms of insurance are AFFORDABLE for most people.

Yes, I need to visit the doctor when I'm sick (or once a year for my check-up), I also need to replace the built-in microwave in my kitchen and replace the tires on my car (both of which will cost more than a visit to the doc). I don't expect my home insurance to pay for the microwave or my car insurance to pay for my tires. THAT is why my car and home insurance are so cheap as compared to my health insurance.

I can pay the $100 for the doctor visit...I don't need insurance for that. I can't as easily pay $15,000 for a hospital stay...I need insurance for that. You have it all backwards.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL, but that's how ALL other insurance works. It covers the big stuff and YOU pay for the little stuff. ALL other forms of insurance are AFFORDABLE for most people.

Yes, I need to visit the doctor when I'm sick (or once a year for my check-up), I also need to replace the built-in microwave in my kitchen and replace the tires on my car. I don't expect my home insurance to pay for the microwave or my car insurance to pay for my tires. THAT is why my car and home insurance are so cheap as compared to my health insurance.

I can pay the $100 for the doctor visit...I don't need insurance for that. I can't as easily pay $15,000 for a hospital stay...I need insurance for that. You have it all backwards
I agree with the part in bold.
However, a lot of doctors can't accept patients who pay in cash because the insurance companies will cancel their contract with them. How do we get more doctors to accept cash?

I"m not 100% sure about how much an X-ray is, a sonogram, etc is but do you favor people paying for that or insurance?

Even if we had a single payer system, I would favor people paying in cash, check, credit card or debit card rather than the single-payer system.

It's the hospital visits and expensive prescriptions where I'd want single payer to kick in.

We could also still have health savings account in place to help people pay for their doctors visits, affordable prescriptions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or