Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times

Advertisements

Remember, a minority of Physicans belong to the American Medical Association -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Lookihng at Oabam's trashing of docotrs it would not seem so. he said that doctors will decide to take a childs tonsils out instead of treating with medicine to get more money in fees. the same with amputaing a foot in diabetics to get more money. I certainyl don't want a lawyer/politicain decideed my medical treatment with thoase convictions.Yet he alos support trial lawyers letting those ame patients sue a doctor if he/she dies fro lack of proper treatment in the same situations. Typical trail lawyer thinking.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My problem with the whole concept of health care reform (especially in the case of raising taxes in order to cover more people) is that it doesn't address one of the issues I feel is most important.

Where is the part about how people need to take more responsibility for their own care?

Where is the part that talks about people not spending their money on frivilous sh*t and putting their own dollars towards more of their own care? Where is the part about how people need to get off the drugs, booze, cigs, fast food, couches...? Where's the part about responsible parenting and parenthood?

You can become popular by talking about handing out free sh*t all day long, but this is not a real answer that I can respect. Redistributing other people's money, making people work for less money, etc, all to make sure that some people 'get some stuff' is putting a bandaid on the symptom instead of addressing the real social problems that caused it in the first place.
Some of that is "blaming the victim" (of disease). The media is much more sure of the connection between certain foods and obestiy than the scientific community. Most REAL nutritionists (those with a degree in nutrition and an RD) feel that any food can be worked into a "good" diet. The media is also much more sure of the connection between obesity and many diseases than the scientific community. Of all the things you mentioned in your post, only booze and cigarettes are actually scientifically proven to cause disease.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some of that is "blaming the victim" (of disease). The media is much more sure of the connection between certain foods and obestiy than the scientific community. Most REAL nutritionists (those with a degree in nutrition and an RD) feel that any food can be worked into a "good" diet. The media is also much more sure of the connection between obesity and many diseases than the scientific community. Of all the things you mentioned in your post, only booze and cigarettes are actually scientifically proven to cause disease.
Lol...I don't believe in there being good and bad foods. Only improper proportions of certain nutrients...and I do believe that there are some things people ingest that are entirely serving entertainment purposes only (cheetos, anyone?).

But there is a very direct correlation between weight and early onset diabetes...what do you mean obesity doesn't cause illnesses? Anyone who says that hasn't seen real patients in real life.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:19 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Keyhani said that "nearly three-quarters of physicians supported some form of a public option, either alone or in combination with private insurance options." According to the poll, 63% of physicians said they favor giving patients the option of a public plan in addition to private insurance options, while 10% said they favor the public plan only -- adding up to 73% in total support for a public option. According to the researchers, they found strong support for the public option among all categories of physicians.

Poll Finds Majority of Physicians Back Public Option in Health Reform - California Healthline

Nice link: It's good to see healthcare posting about healthcare reform, rather than some links around here that are merely rantings by random blabbermouths "discussing" healthcare.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...I don't believe in there being good and bad foods. Only improper proportions of certain nutrients...and I do believe that there are some things people ingest that are entirely serving entertainment purposes only (cheetos, anyone?).

But there is a very direct correlation between weight and early onset diabetes...what do you mean obesity doesn't cause illnesses? Anyone who says that hasn't seen real patients in real life.
Uh, I've seen many patients actually. Many of the type II diabetics I have cared for (not just "seen") have not been all that overweight.

Type 2 diabetes: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Type 2 diabetes usually occurs gradually. Most people with the disease are overweight at the time of diagnosis. However, type 2 diabetes can also develop in those who are thin, especially the elderly.

Family history and genetics play a large role in type 2 diabetes.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Not me, SINGLE PAYER or Nothing. I figure it will cut my Car Insurance by 70%, my Homeowners by 40%, eliminate Workmens Comp and Employer Based Health Insurance.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Uh, I've seen many patients actually. Many of the type II diabetics I have cared for (not just "seen") have not been all that overweight.

Type 2 diabetes usually occurs gradually. Most people with the disease are overweight at the time of diagnosis. However, type 2 diabetes can also develop in those who are thin, especially the elderly.

Again Katiana is right.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Again Katiana is right.
Thanks pommysmommy. We may disagree about some things, but we think alike on many health-related issues.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Stan4 is a physician so he is a member of the scientific community that you allude to. He also has more training in biochemistry, physiology, pathophysiology and pharmacology than the nutritionists(RD) you speak of. It's true that nutritionists can work any food item into a healthy diet. They will also reduce the portion size to reflect a certain percentage of fat and calories to accomodate nutritional requirements. The portion size you receive at a fast food restaurant significantly outweighs what is recommended. Furthermore, Americans are not consuming one of these items per day. They are consuming these items in each meal. The media isn't exaggerating this phenomenon. What evidence do you have that claims most RD's disagree with the media's insistence that Americans eat a diet high in fat and calories?

Your last statement is false. I'm a physician as well (Cardiologist). Diets high in saturated fat and cholesterol predispose one to atherosclerosis which increases one's risk of coronary artery disease, stroke and hypertension. It also increases one risk of acquiring Diabetes which further increases their risk of coronary artery disease.

Quote:

Family history and genetics does impact DM II. However, you don't know which individuals have a predisposition to developing DM II. You can't rule that out in an individual just because they lack a direct family member who was afflicted with the disease. Therefore, in those individuals, obesity is a risk factor for developing DM II. In addition, a lack of family history and genetics doesn't exclude certain individuals from becoming diabetic. The definition of DM II is a fasting blood glucose level of 126 or higher on two separate occasions or a 2 hour fasting glucose level in excess of 200. Many individuals without any family hx of DM become diabetic by becoming obese.

Lastly, your statement "not been all that overweight" is a subjective and qualitative statement. Appearances can be misleading. You have to take measurements such as a person's BMI, percent body fat and distribution of adipose tissue. Furthermore, I don't think you understand the physiological mechanisms. It's nearly impossible for a thin (BMI under 25) individual to have Type II DM because it's based on insulin resistance. Thin people with diabetes have Type I diabetes which is due to a lack of insulin production due to destruction of pancreatic beta cells. So when a person tries to tell me they have seen a lot of thin people develop Type II DM, I know they are lying.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-20-2009 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies