Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

A few days ago, Pres. Obama extended the Cuba embargo... I don't really understand the point of the embargo anymore... its been almost 50 years since it started... what is the point anymore? Cuba has its own right to self-govern... what is it any of the US business anymore to maintain the embargo...

If the embargo is lifted and normal relations resume with Cuba... does that mean we should abolish the "wet foot, dry foot" rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 AM

259 posts, read 705,253 times
The last time we interfered with Cuba was in the early days of President Kennedy's administration when the CIA somehow suckered Kennedy into giving the go ahead on the Bay of Pigs invasion.( sound familiar ) The invasion was a complete disaster ( sound familiar ) and Kennedy refused to provide American air support to bail them out.

Cuba is self governed by a communist dictator and the US trade embargo with Cuba applies only to the US. Cuba is free to set up trade relations with any country it chooses to trade with without interference from the US.
If you want to visit Cuba you need only fly down to Mexico and hop a flight from there.

I've flown over Cuba a couple of times while taking flights from Miami to Jamaica. Never actually been there.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
'Wet foot/Dry-foot' has to be one of the most asinine US policies ever, and there's certainly no lack of competition

I can only hope Obama will wise up, tell the McCarthyites to pi$$ off, and normalize relations with Cuba, it's not like we don't already conducet huge $$$ amounts of trade with communist countries.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM

259 posts, read 705,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
'Wet foot/Dry-foot' has to be one of the most asinine US policies ever, and there's certainly no lack of competition

I can only hope Obama will wise up, tell the McCarthyites to pi$$ off, and normalize relations with Cuba, it's not like we don't already conducet huge $$$ amounts of trade with communist countries.

Hey bud, Kennedy established the trade embargo with Cuba.. Not Mc Carthy.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We need to open trade with Cuba and recover some of the '57 Chevys they are still running. Actually we need to just treat them like any other source of cheap labor and free sugar. NOT!

Just recognize their government and open trade. I have been to GITMO 40 years ago and the off base (were we could not go) looked really nice.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
I think the US should stop trying to manipulate politics with trade altogether.

What is worse, is that they pick and choose. They will embargo Cuba for completely political reasons, but turn around and freely trade with countries exporting blood diamonds, using child labor, and choose sides in holy wars.

You have to love it.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Hey bud, Kennedy established the trade embargo with Cuba.. Not Mc Carthy.

And it's the 'commies under every bed' Mccarthyite fear mongerers that've kept it going all these years.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think the US should stop trying to manipulate politics with trade altogether.

What is worse, is that they pick and choose. They will embargo Cuba for completely political reasons, but turn around and freely trade with countries exporting blood diamonds, using child labor, and choose sides in holy wars.

You have to love it.

Many places we get our oil from aren't exactly hotbeds of human rights either

Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many places we get our oil from aren't exactly hotbeds of human rights either
Thats what Im saying, the US simply picks and chooses who they want to manipulate. There are countries we trade with right this minute that are far worse then anything you could ever pin on Cuba during the Castro regime.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Thats what Im saying, the US simply picks and chooses who they want to manipulate. There are countries we trade with right this minute that are far worse then anything you could ever pin on Cuba during the Castro regime.

Yes, I'm disappointed to hear Obama extended the embargo, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies