Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times

Advertisements

Pretty amazing pictures...

The biggest and most secretive gathering of ships in maritime history lies at anchor east of Singapore. Never before photographed, it is bigger than the U.S. and British navies combined but has no crew, no cargo and no destination - and is why your Christmas stocking may be on the light side this year

Read more: Revealed: The ghost fleet of the recession | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,171,543 times
I saw this earlier this morning, pretty wild huh. I went and added the vesseltracker plug in for Google Earth. Pretty wild

Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
That IS pretty wild....you can zoom right in and see.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM

I keep hearing about how various economies in the EU and China are getting much better, yet to think of all those ships just sitting there idle seems to indicate to me that things sure aren't rosy yet.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Oh and btw... I looked this up with another ship traffic site and they show nothing. I may be doing something wrong or not checking the right box but this site doesn't show all of them.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

Just seemed odd, as I know they are there, I can see the sat photo

Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Well, well. I follow port traffic numbers and they are down bigtime.
When stocks and such became so manipulated I went hunting for other "fundamentals" to follow to see if and when this recovery was happening. Port traffic numbers and BDI (Baltic Dry Index) are numbers that are not manipulated. Then again, not many people track these numbers. Most look at the DJIA "shooting to the moon" from investment bank trading programs

Here's LA port and this is the best numbers. Others are down over 20%.
The Port of Los Angeles | Maritime

Now we know where all those empty ships are.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM

140 posts, read 270,016 times
I worked on merchant tankers for 10 years, and I've been to Singapore about 10 times. There were always about 300 ships sitting there at anchor at any one time because it is one of the most strategic shipping ports in the world. I have video tape shot from the ship I was on in 1991 to prove it. I know merchant shipping is way down--almost 30%. It is really bad, and the guys that ordered the big 12,000 TEU container ships really messed up. But, I wonder how many above 300 are sitting at anchor in Singapore right now? Because 300 is just about normal for Singapore even during boom times for shipping. Everybody wants to take on stores and crew and fuel there.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM

140 posts, read 270,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well, well. I follow port traffic numbers and they are down bigtime.
When stocks and such became so manipulated I went hunting for other "fundamentals" to follow to see if and when this recovery was happening. Port traffic numbers and BDI (Baltic Dry Index) are numbers that are not manipulated. Then again, not many people track these numbers. Most look at the DJIA "shooting to the moon" from investment bank trading programs

Here's LA port and this is the best numbers. Others are down over 20%.
The Port of Los Angeles | Maritime

Now we know where all those empty ships are.
Well it looks like China is going to keep sending us stuff via Long Beach no matter how bad the U.S. economy gets.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM

227 posts, read 534,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I keep hearing about how various economies in the EU and China are getting much better, yet to think of all those ships just sitting there idle seems to indicate to me that things sure aren't rosy yet.
Surely they would'nt be lying would they? I mean with all those jobs waiting to be filled and the smell of change in the air. Funny how it took how many years of deceit and scandal to ruin it last year, and suddenly exactly one year later they fixed it? But hey, if the economy tanks again now, this time it's the consumers fault because they won't go out and spend money and get into debt like they told us to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies