Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON – Sen. Max Baucus, a leader in the troubled effort in Congress to write a health care overhaul bill, has received more campaign donations from the health industry than any elected federal official except President Barack Obama and three other senators.

The Montana Democrat is enjoying this largesse — some $3.9 million in contributions from the health care industry since 1989 — principally because of his place as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. The panel is at the center of this year's health care debate, and on Wednesday Baucus released his view of how the medical system should be reshaped: an $856 billion, 10-year package of changes.

THE INFLUENCE GAME: Health interests fund senators - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_campaign_contributions - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Without a public option this plan is a terrible subsidy to insurance companies. The corporatists on this board should kiss Baucus's feet.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
WASHINGTON – Sen. Max Baucus, a leader in the troubled effort in Congress to write a health care overhaul bill, has received more campaign donations from the health industry than any elected federal official except President Barack Obama and three other senators.

The Montana Democrat is enjoying this largesse — some $3.9 million in contributions from the health care industry since 1989 — principally because of his place as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. The panel is at the center of this year's health care debate, and on Wednesday Baucus released his view of how the medical system should be reshaped: an $856 billion, 10-year package of changes.

THE INFLUENCE GAME: Health interests fund senators - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_campaign_contributions - broken link)

Ah-ha.

"At least initially, no Republicans were supporting Baucus' bill. Yet the work of the Gang of Six is important because Baucus' measure comes closer than any of Congress' health overhaul bills to what the health industry and many Republicans want."

THE INFLUENCE GAME: Health interests fund senators - Yahoo! News

Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

When he was asked why he robbed banks Willie Sutton is reported to have replied "Because that's where the money is." For those of you who deplore the influence peddling in Washington did it ever occur to you that it grows commensurate with the growth of the power and size of the federal government? Congress is busy writing legislation that will cripple, if not annihilate, insurance companies. Are they supposed to sit idly by and let it happen? The more Congress taxes and seeks to control our lives, economic and otherwise, the more lobbyists are going to show up to try to shape legislation to the advantage of its interest group. Reduce the size of government and de-centralize it, as was initially intended by the Founding Fathers, and you'll see a commensurate decline in influence peddling in Washington. Now you may see an increase of lobbyist activity at the state level as the states resume their rightful place in the federal system but at the state level the corruption is easier to monitor and to root out.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
When he was asked why he robbed banks Willie Sutton is reported to have replied "Because that's where the money is." For those of you who deplore the influence peddling in Washington did it ever occur to you that it grows commensurate with the growth of the power and size of the federal government? Congress is busy writing legislation that will cripple, if not annihilate, insurance companies. Are they supposed to sit idly by and let it happen? The more Congress taxes and seeks to control our lives, economic and otherwise, the more lobbyists are going to show up to try to shape legislation to the advantage of its interest group. Reduce the size of government and de-centralize it, as was initially intended by the Founding Fathers, and you'll see a commensurate decline in influence peddling in Washington. Now you may see an increase of lobbyist activity at the state level as the states resume their rightful place in the federal system but at the state level the corruption is easier to monitor and to root out.
Boohoo. For the life of me, I can never feel bad for the insurance companies. Is that your arguement...poor insurance companies? I say F***** the insurance companies.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Boohoo. For the life of me, I can never feel bad for the insurance companies. Is that your arguement...poor insurance companies? I say F***** the insurance companies.
If I had the power I'd shut them down yesterday in insuring the delivery of Americans' healthcare. And then look real close for fraud in their books and lock'em up if I could. Scumbags the lot of them.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
When he was asked why he robbed banks Willie Sutton is reported to have replied "Because that's where the money is." For those of you who deplore the influence peddling in Washington did it ever occur to you that it grows commensurate with the growth of the power and size of the federal government? Congress is busy writing legislation that will cripple, if not annihilate, insurance companies. Are they supposed to sit idly by and let it happen?
No, they aren't, which is why there should be rules in place to seperate corporate influence from governmental power.

Your proposal just gives corporations more power anyway, so it's not like "destabilize the government so corporations can do whatever they want" is some kind of holy non-authoritarian solution.

Same ****, same authority but under a different name.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Orrin Hatch is another one in their pockets. He made a deal with big pharma back in July regarding drugs.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No, that's not my argument. I used the insurance companies as an example
of influence peddling that is current. But any business that is subject to regulation and/or taxation by the federal government will act to protect its interests. The point of my post is that the power of the federal government has grown so massively that it now affects every aspect of our lives. For gosh sake they even dictate the number of gallons a flush toilet can have. And they are about to tax evil sugars in drinks, etc. How much money do you think is going to flow to Washington from sugar producers to try to stop this madness? In effect the federal government has become an extortion racket.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
No, they aren't, which is why there should be rules in place to seperate corporate influence from governmental power.

Your proposal just gives corporations more power anyway, so it's not like "destabilize the government so corporations can do whatever they want" is some kind of holy non-authoritarian solution.

Same ****, same authority but under a different name.
There are rules--ethics rules--which Congress routinely flaunts. Look at the sweetheart mortgage deals that Chris Dodd made with Countrywide, one of the worst offenders in the mortgage debacle. But you can't prevent lobbyists from communicating with Congress people because of the constitutional right to petition the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies