U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM

19,660 posts, read 19,768,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhhm
you DO deduct YOUR premiums
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf
Line 1 schedule a of the 1040
Medical and Dental Expenses

Enter the total of your medical and dental expenses to include all insurance premiums you paid for medical and dental care

btw the health insurace and medical costs for my DOG is even deductable
Go past line 1 and you'll find there is more to it.
If I am remembering the percentage correctly, you may only deduct those expenses which exceed 7 1/2% of your adjusted income (the amount on the bottom line of page 1).

And, no, your dogs expenses are NOT covered.If you include them, it's called tax fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM

12,388 posts, read 11,604,620 times
Senator Max Baucus Finally Releases Health Care Bill With No Republican Support....yet.

YouTube - Sen Baucus Finally Releases Health Care Bill With No GOP Support

Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 PM

5,348 posts, read 10,820,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Some of it is good such as requiring insurance and making people who don't have it get it but without the public option, I cannot support it.
The govt has no right to MAKE me purchase health insurance. Yes, I have it through my employer, but honestly, I don't need it and have chosen in the past NOT to have it. I am healthy, eat right and exercise, and aside from the annual dental and eye exam, DON'T USE the doctor. I only have insurance for catastrophic cases (especially after watching the drivers around here), but honestly, who is the govt to determine what coverage is right for me? What if I only want catostrophic coverage? If that were a choice thorugh my employer, I would have only that. I have gone years without insurance and when I needed to go to the eye doctor or whatever, I paid for it on my own. Who the hell is the govt to tell me what is best for MY INDIVIDUAL situation?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,007,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Senator Max Baucus Finally Releases Health Care Bill With No Republican Support....yet.

YouTube - Sen Baucus Finally Releases Health Care Bill With No GOP Support
So, what is the point?

I'll be damned if I will ask my Congresspersons, and Senators to back a watered down bill which industry whistle blower Wendell Potter aptly calls the "Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act."

Read more at: Wendell Potter: Public Option Essential, Baucus Plan An "Absolute Gift" To Health Insurance Industry (VIDEO)

Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
news flash in case you haven't kept up with some of the reasons for the many foreclosures in this country. Under the current system, many are in the poorhouse.
The reason there are so many foreclosures is because too many idiots were living beyond their means, taking out home equity loans to buy toys and take trips, putting no money down and acting irresponsibly, and the banks took advantage the American public. You make it sound like millions of people are throwing their homes on the market or walking away from them while their in the hospital and that isn't true.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

6,899 posts, read 6,563,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
The reason there are so many foreclosures is because too many idiots were living beyond their means, taking out home equity loans to buy toys and take trips, putting no money down and acting irresponsibly, and the banks took advantage the American public. You make it sound like millions of people are throwing their homes on the market or walking away from them while their in the hospital and that isn't true.

Don't throw assumptions into what I stated. Again my statement was,

ONE of the reasons. I did not say, the main, major, top reason but ONE. If you wanted clairification all you had to do was ask, don't assume and not imbelish.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Don't throw assumptions into what I stated. Again my statement was,

ONE of the reasons. I did not say, the main, major, top reason but ONE. If you wanted clairification all you had to do was ask, don't assume and not imbelish.
You said SOME of the reasons, not ONE. Big diff.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Would limit Section 125 deductions. That is an effective tax increase.

Would make insurance mandatory. If you currently choose to not have insurance, that is an effective tax increase.

Employer sponsored insurance would now show up on your W2. Why unless they plan to tax it? Another tax increase.

No insurance? Pay a steep fine - $3800 per family. Sounds like a tax increase.

I guess Obama won't be signing this one given his promise to not raise taxes.
The bill is yet another bailout for insurance companies.
It doesn't surprise me considering all the ties Baucus has to the health insurance industry.
Complete and utter crap.
The American People will continue to get screwed until we have a single payer system.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,706,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The bill is yet another bailout for insurance companies.
It doesn't surprise me considering all the ties Baucus has to the health insurance industry.
Complete and utter crap.
The American People will continue to get screwed until we have a single payer system.
There isn't one guy rich enough to pay for it. Not bill gates, not buffet, and definately not uncle Sam. Single payer is a nice euphanism for government monopoly through artificial pricing funded by multiple taxpayers who don't benefit proportional to their contribution.

I have no issue with a progressive tax system. I take exception to a system that burdens a few high income payers while half the nation pays nothing and still ******* that they are not getting everything they are entitled to.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
There isn't one guy rich enough to pay for it. Not bill gates, not buffet, and definately not uncle Sam. Single payer is a nice euphanism for government monopoly through artificial pricing funded by multiple taxpayers who don't benefit proportional to their contribution.

I have no issue with a progressive tax system. I take exception to a system that burdens a few high income payers while half the nation pays nothing and still ******* that they are not getting everything they are entitled to.
The thing about single payer is that everyone pays for it and it benefits everyone.

You would pay less for health care than you do now and that goes for individuals and businesses alike. Unlike now where you're paying more in premiums and deductibles but what you get for your money is actually decreasing.

Quote:
Won’t this raise my taxes?

Currently, about 60% of our health care system is financed by public money: federal and state taxes, property taxes and tax subsidies. These funds pay for Medicare, Medicaid, the VA, coverage for public employees (including police and teachers), elected officials, military personnel, etc. There are also hefty tax subsidies to employers to help pay for their employees’ health insurance. About 20% of health care is financed by all of us individually through out-of-pocket payments, such as co-pays, deductibles, the uninsured paying directly for care, people paying privately for premiums, etc. Private employers only pay 21% of health care costs. In all, it is a very “regressive” way to finance health care, in that the poor pay a much higher percentage of their income for health care than higher income individuals do.
A universal public system would be financed in the following way: The public funds already funneled to Medicare and Medicaid would be retained. The difference, or the gap between current public funding and what we would need for a universal health care system, would be financed by a payroll tax on employers (about 7%) and an income tax on individuals (about 2%). The payroll tax would replace all other employer expenses for employees’ health care, which would be eliminated. The income tax would take the place of all current insurance premiums, co-pays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket payments. For the vast majority of people, a 2% income tax is less than what they now pay for insurance premiums and out-of-pocket payments such as co-pays and deductibles, particularly if a family member has a serious illness. It is also a fair and sustainable contribution.
Currently, 47 million people have no insurance and hundreds of thousands of people with insurance are bankrupted when they have an accident or illness. Employers who currently offer no health insurance would pay more, but those who currently offer coverage would, on average, pay less. For most large employers, a payroll tax in the 7% range would mean they would pay slightly less than they currently do (about 8.5%). No employer, moreover, would gain a competitive advantage because he had scrimped on employee health benefits. And health insurance would disappear from the bargaining table between employers and employees.
Of course, the biggest change would be that everyone would have the same comprehensive health coverage, including all medical, hospital, eye care, dental care, long-term care, and mental health services. Currently, many people and businesses are paying huge premiums for insurance so full of gaps like co-payments, deductibles and uncovered services that it would be almost worthless if they were to have a serious illness.
Source: Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies