U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,705,738 times

Advertisements

I guess the bill is bi-partisan. Both sides hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,821,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Ironic that you want a government healthcare system that will do JUST that... making YOU pay for someone else's ER visit but not only that, you also pay for their clinic visit as well... the irony...
Who has been telling you about this government health care system you speak of? I only know of public option, that will be similar to private insurance but administered either by the government or by a co-op.

Now, if you imply that people will still abuse ER and use it as a regular clinic, then you'd be on topic, but at this point, would have missed the point about mandated health insurance. So go back, and re-read the posts. It has nothing to do with government health care system, and everything with ensuring health insurance for all (whether you pick public option or one of private options, is entirely up to you).

If you needed to go to a clinic, had medical insurance, why would you to ER?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM

The so-called public option is the true lie. It has been proposed as an alternative plan for those who cannot currently obtain access to insurance. It has been proposed as self-funded and deficit neutral. Given those constraints, the premiums would need to be close to the private options in the market. It is not actuarialy possible to insure this segment at a cost substantially lower than any other segment of the population. Is the issue cost or access? If it is access, there are far easier ways to deal with the problem. If it is cost the public option will not address it. A family earning $50 thousand is no more likely to purchase a plan that costs $7500 a year than they are to purchase a plan that costs $10,000 a year.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM

One more point. To make the public option attractive the government has suggested credits. These credits would be used to make it more affordable. The presumption is that these would be funded by the taxpayer?

Regardless, why would I pay for my company plan when the government will give it to me free? More important, why would I offer my employees insurance when they can get it free from the government? The public option creates an unfair competitive advantage for the govenment plan through legislated price ceilings just like Medicare does.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

5,348 posts, read 10,819,834 times
Well, today, Howard Dean called the Baucus bill the worst piece of legislation he's seen in 30 years. Go figure.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,821,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The so-called public option is the true lie. It has been proposed as an alternative plan for those who cannot currently obtain access to insurance. It has been proposed as self-funded and deficit neutral. Given those constraints, the premiums would need to be close to the private options in the market.
If you must work on those assumptions... and if your assumptions are true, I see no reason for people to select public option, especially those who believe a private corporation would offer better service. Agreed? Or, did I miss somehing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Regardless, why would I pay for my company plan when the government will give it to me free? More important, why would I offer my employees insurance when they can get it free from the government? The public option creates an unfair competitive advantage for the govenment plan through legislated price ceilings just like Medicare does.
Free? Where have you been? What is your understanding of protection built for existing coverage? That one could just switch over?

The more you speak, the more you demonstrate your lack of knowledge about the bills under consideration.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,175,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Well, today, Howard Dean called the Baucus bill the worst piece of legislation he's seen in 30 years. Go figure.
I happen to completely agree with his assessment.

It's GARBAGE.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,098,071 times
If this mess passes people will be in even worse shape than before. What a disappointment. Once again the people were sold down the river by the elected representatives who chose to represent the insurance companies who paid them off rather than the people who elected them.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM

26,297 posts, read 17,198,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I happen to completely agree with his assessment.

It's GARBAGE.
Health Insurance Insider Slams Baucus Bill: ‘An Absolute Gift To The Insurance Industry’
Think Progress » Health Insurance Insider Slams Baucus Bill: ‘An Absolute Gift To The Insurance Industry’

Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you must work on those assumptions... and if your assumptions are true, I see no reason for people to select public option, especially those who believe a private corporation would offer better service. Agreed? Or, did I miss somehing?

Free? Where have you been? What is your understanding of protection built for existing coverage? That one could just switch over?

The more you speak, the more you demonstrate your lack of knowledge about the bills under consideration.
I can only work off the statements that are made by Obama and those included in writing. It is important to note that those two are often at odds with each other. Obama has stated on numerous times that it will be self-funded. He has stated he won't sign anything that adds a dime to the deficit.

Missing from the debate is some basic math. Healthcare is expensive because we have good care. We attract the best doctors and provide the
the best equipment. It costs money to do that. Lots of money. Not everybody can afford to pay for a Mercedes. If healthcare is a commodity some people will get less in a capitalism-based society. If you operate under the assumption that is a right then all people must accept a lower quality or standard of care. Economic theory is at it's core the allocation of scarce resources, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies