U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM

507 posts, read 600,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So to compare the math, 437K on sept 12th, vs the Jan 20th totals of 1120K riders, which looks like the rally brought in 1/3rd the Obama numbers..

Not to shabby at all for a little old tea party.
You have to remember that people like me were also riding the metro on Saturday. I did not attend the rally (my fact I was going in the opposite direction). During inauguration, you could not have paid me to get on the metro due to the number of people. I was able to have a pretty nice ride this weekend, even though I will admit weekend track maintenance does suck.

Also, if people could follow simple instructions, they might have had an easier ride. The operators tell people to move to the center of the train car for a reason. I rode in a car with tea people all jammed near the doors even though there was space in the center. Spread out and move to the center so people aren't all stuffed together near the doors. You will have a much easier ride, and extra cars won't be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,136,543 times
Default Tea Party Protesters Protest D.C. Metro Service

Texas Republican Representative Kevin Brady wants WMATA (Washington DC's transit system) investigated because Metro rail didn't adequately handle (in his opinion) the extra ridership due to the 9/12 Tea Party.

So they want smaller government, fewer services, lower taxes - until they need to utilize a government-run public service.

Tea Party Protesters Protest D.C. Metro Service - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 25 days ago)

58,166 posts, read 40,950,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Texas Republican Representative Kevin Brady wants WMATA (Washington DC's transit system) investigated because Metro rail didn't adequately handle (in his opinion) the extra ridership due to the 9/12 Tea Party.

So they want smaller government, fewer services, lower taxes - until they need to utilize a government-run public service.

That's NeoConfused Nirvana: More for us, less for everybody else

Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,833,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

YEP! that pretty much sums it up! And after living in DC for four years, it is a standard that on 'big days' it's just annoyingly crowded as you get closer to Metro Center and the Hill....

I'm positive it was much more crowded on Inauguration Day, and MANY other 'bigger days' than 9.12 people were'nt such whiners.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,099,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's NeoConfused Nirvana: More for us, less for everybody else
I tried to rep you.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,136,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So to compare the math, 437K on sept 12th, vs the Jan 20th totals of 1120K riders, which looks like the rally brought in 1/3rd the Obama numbers..

Not to shabby at all for a little old tea party.
Don't forget there was also the NCNW Black Family Reunion on the same day, on the Mall, with live music concerts.

This past weekend, thousands of black families met on the Washington Mall to show their strength, and it all started with prayer.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 CBN

the National Black Family Reunion Celebration, a two-day event that is recognized as the largest, most significant family event in the nation.

NCNW's Family Event | NCNW | Black Family Reunion Celebration Photo Gallery

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM

634 posts, read 1,380,984 times
They will do anything to keep themselves in the news. What a bunch of NUTS!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 AM

969 posts, read 2,518,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
So the .gov didn't spend enough money preparing for their protest in which they complain about excessive .gov spending? Irony!
Having TWICE been to the "Mall" on the 4th of July - with hundreds of thousands of my closest friends - I can assure you that no matter how many trains are running - it never feels like enough.

Of course - govt spending is only "bad" when it isn't for ME, don't you know that!

Tea Party - Pity Party - Same Same

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
"wow, this protest was way bigger than organizers expected! what a victory!"

"why didn't the dc metro adequately prepare for the size of our protest?"

derrr.....

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

3,288 posts, read 3,975,452 times
Texas Republican upset by lack of public transit; news at 11

He's probably from the suburbs and has never ridden a subway in his entire life. Good luck getting on the Mass T at rush hour buddy!

I've also heard that 3/5 of the funding for Metro is covered by fares and ad revenue... maybe... just maybe if they had a more dedicated source of funding it could be better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies