U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,295,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Let's see ... they drove on government-funded roads, used government-funded police for security, left their trash for government-paid workers to pick up ..... so of course they'll use government-funded Metro!

But it gets even better. The Texas Republican Congressman, Kevin Brady .... voted "no" on HR 3288, a funding bill for Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies in July of this year ... and that bill contained $150 million in emergency maintenance funding for Metro.
"they drove on government-funded roads, used government-funded police for security, left their trash for government-paid workers to pick up ..... so of course they'll use government-funded Metro!"

All of those are taxpayer funded...

The only money the government has is YOUR money...

Now that wasn't to hard to understand , was it?

And Metro cannot survive without help from the TAXPAYER..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times
do you really think the majority of the tea party protesters think that public transportation is something that their TAXES should be going to?

yet they complain when they need it and it doesn't work as well as they would like.

and the whole complaint is stupid - the organizers told the city what turnout they expected, and by even the most conservative counts the protest far exceeded what they said. was the city supposed to psychically know how many people were coming?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM

5,333 posts, read 6,139,382 times
For most of its history, Metro has been funded by the surrounding localities. Not Texas. Not Ohio. Not Pennsylvania or South Carolina.

Those were my tax dollars running those trains. I'll think I'll be the conservative and say out of staters can't benefit from the fruit of my labors. That would be Marxist. Build their own damn subway!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,976,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Brody Mullins reports on money and politics.

Protesters who attended Saturday’s Tea Party rally in
Washington found a new reason to be upset: Apparently
they are unhappy with the level of service
provided by the subway system.

Rep. Kevin Brady called for a government investigation
into whether the government-run subway system
adequately prepared for this weekend’s rally to protest
government spending and government services.

Seriously.

Tea Party Protesters Protest D.C. Metro Service - Washington Wire - WSJ

The teabaggers whine once again, this time about taxpayer funded services...

They really underestimated how many people would attend. The next one will be MUCH larger!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM

3,858 posts, read 6,130,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
and the whole complaint is stupid - the organizers told the city what turnout they expected, and by even the most conservative counts the protest far exceeded what they said. was the city supposed to psychically know how many people were coming?
It's also timing and anticipating when 10,000s from a one-off event will flood the subway. Trains have to be scheduled in advance - its a single lane subway -trains can't bypass each other get anywhere quicker.

I bet the complainers also ***** that the roads are busy during rush hour.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,180,253 times
I actually heard from someone that was there, that at least in one metro station, people were experiencing problems trying to get through the ticket system. They finally had to just open it up and allow people to board the cars.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,295,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
For most of its history, Metro has been funded by the surrounding localities. Not Texas. Not Ohio. Not Pennsylvania or South Carolina.

Those were my tax dollars running those trains. I'll think I'll be the conservative and say out of staters can't benefit from the fruit of my labors. That would be Marxist. Build their own damn subway!
They all get federal tax dollars that they get from YOU...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,139,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I actually heard from someone that was there, that at least in one metro station, people were experiencing problems trying to get through the ticket system. They finally had to just open it up and allow people to board the cars.
Probably because the riders couldn't figure out the fare card system, and if you've got thousands of people in front of the fare card machines trying to figure out the instructions, you'll get a logjam pretty quickly.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times
yeah, that was my theory too.

you introduce thousands of people to a subway system who don't know how to use it smoothly, don't advise the transit authority of the actual size of your march, and then complain that the transit authority is conspiring against your event? the latter two factors aren't really the organizers' fault, but to say that the transit authority could have done something to rectify this situation and deliberately didn't is absurd.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM

980 posts, read 1,927,827 times
Interesting, they are complaining about the transportation system which is "public funding". They they go to the protest complaining about rising taxes. I don't get it, lets see. NO MORE TAXES, BUT WANT BETTER PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

So they want the right to protest which I agree with. Yet, they want tax payers to pay for their protesting, that I don't agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies