Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"folks who are here legally"?

Outrageous....
I guess you conveniently ignored the amnesty part that will come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I guess you conveniently ignored the amnesty part that will come first.
?

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken"

I dont see "amnesty" mentioned or even hinted at here.

Oh, the "part that will come first". I see now.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Taking only the actual words used in the article.....
"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else."
[1] No health care coverage for those here illegally.

[2] Access to affordable, quality health care for those here legally.

That much is clear, I hope.
Mr. Obama added, "If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all."
[1] No where does "amnesty" appear.

[2] No mention of health care for illegals.

And yet, the very first paragraph of this commentary (can't call it a news story, since there's so much interpreting going on) .....
President Obama said this week that his health care plan won't cover illegal immigrants, but argued that's all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.
But President Obama said no such thing - they included his exact words, and still reported that he said something else.
Republicans said that amounts to an amnesty, calling it a backdoor effort to make sure current illegal immigrants get health care.
Republicans say a lot of things. But Republicans, or at least the reporter at the Washington Times, used the word "amnesty" - the President did not.

Also,
He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered - a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.
There's a really big problem with this paragraph, and that is, health care reform is not a "federal public assistance program" like welfare. The President has consistently talked about affordable, quality health care - and affordable means that people pay for it.

Even the public option - if the final legislation includes it - is NOT free. Just like any health insurance policy, there would be premiums ... people would pay. See section 222 of HR 3200.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Go through thousands of posts and I always support Obama. I always try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I voted for Obama and I even volunteered last year to help get the vote out, but if he really believes the Baucus bill is reasonable and there's no Public Option (meaning NOT through private insurance companies) then I might move to Mexico and try to sneak back over the border, or maybe I'll just stay there. Oh, wait - that's another country without government run health care. Maybe I should try Australia, New Zealand, France, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, Italy or another one of those "Fascist" countries.

Seriously, mandatory payment to a private company that has stockholders is illegal and unconstitutional. I hope I misunderstood the news last night. Obama debated Clinton when she proposed mandatory health insurance. He said he would never sign a bill that included it so... WTF?

If someone tells me I used the word "unconstitutional" incorrectly, please think about Freedom of Religion. Should a family that practices Christian Science be forced to pay 13% of its income?

We started out with Single-Payer and then talked about a Public Option to compete with the private insurers and now they're proposing a plan to expand Medicaid & crush the middle class by forcing people to pay for insurance or be fined? Can Congress levy a tax for any reason whatsoever? What country is this?

Last edited by justNancy; 09-18-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I knew it was a just a matter of time before the "path to citizenship" issue came up.

I thought he'd put it off until AFTER this healthcare bill gets rushed and passed.

I read in an article today..over 46 million people have no insurance..as of 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...58G6W520090917
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies