U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 AM

25,882 posts, read 39,178,572 times

Advertisements

My whole family is eating as much healthy food as we can, but occasionally we want to eat fast food, We eat home made meals at least 5 x a week. We don't drink a lot of soda, we don't smoke and we only on a special occasion drink a glass of wine or a beer. Most of the time we don't even have alcohol in our home.
We excercised all our life's and even were involved in professional sports...

We don't have any debt, paid our homes, car's, etc. cash!

Now the banks are targeting people who pay on time and didn't cause the housing crash, although we bought more than one home and still own more than one paid by our own money...

So fees go up for responsible people.

Now soda's will be taxes! We don't drink many sod'a but now and than a Coca Cola is nice and maybe 1 or bottles a week for the entire family...we aren't obessed and pay our own health care!

Now soda's will extra taxed to prevent people to drink to much and help them stay more healthy, which we already did...so again we are punished for good behavior!

Going on a plane and sitting next to a overweigt person is terrible and mostly they aren't charged double otherwise they would have 2 seats, but we have to make our selfs smaller so we can have the excesive skin of the person sitting next to me hanging over my chair....and we pay the same!

If I have 51 lbs instead of 50 lbs I have to pay overweight!!!!! While the obessed person isn't charged for his overweight unless his suitcase is the same weight, but still I bring way less weight on board than that person...how can this be fair?

Some people may argue, well still will pay less extra tax since we use less, which is true, but still I'm slammed with taxes for something I can control myself and when will we receive tax credits for good behavior!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,809,007 times
This is because the taxes can't come from irresponsible people, because they either are broke and have their hands out, or they don't pay any taxes. So guess what.... WE HAVE TO FOOT THE BILL for the losers.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 AM

I see your point, but when is it enough...or are we going to take more and more taxes while the people who don't care about being responsible, will keep spending and behave unhealthy...shouldn't there be another way to get them to understand than by punishing the responsible.

Shouldn't people who put all that fast food and too many soda's in their mouth which caused them to be overweight, cut out for certain health coverages or do we have to pay for their surgeries for obessity, diabetic from bad food, etc...

Shouldn't they be forced to follow programs so they will start to excercise and live healthier...We all could see haow people lost weight on the "Biggest loser" and how great they felt, instead of punsihing the responible. look at kids of obessed people, they are obessed as well, just from feeing them junk food and being a couch patato!

Similar things we hear are that some people who used the Cash for Clunkers program are already defaulting on their loans...due to the cat that they had no clue that their ins. would be higher for a new car...and they can't afford it!

When is enough, really enough!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM

756 posts, read 1,715,542 times
Another take on this is the people that live within their means and make sacrifices such as no lavish vacations, driving older cars etc to save their money and because of they built their little nest egg, they and their children do not qualify for some of the programs designed to help the "needy" ie, people who do not live within their means.

By "need" I am not referring to the truly desitute through no fault of their own, I am referring to the people that squander everything they earn then go to the goverment for their entitled handout.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Another take on this is the people that live within their means and make sacrifices such as no lavish vacations, driving older cars etc to save their money and because of they built their little nest egg, they and their children do not qualify for some of the programs designed to help the "needy" ie, people who do not live within their means.

By "need" I am not referring to the truly desitute through no fault of their own, I am referring to the people that squander everything they earn then go to the goverment for their entitled handout.
I agree. I am in no way denigrating the truly needy people either.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,140,799 times
Welcome to the liberal America...where your tax money will go to those more deserving...the lazy and the perpetual victims

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Welcome to the liberal America...where your tax money will go to those more deserving...the lazy and the perpetual victims
What is going to happen when the responsible figure out that it is more rewarding to be irresponsible? Where will all the money come from then?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM

980 posts, read 1,929,021 times
bentlebee, as insensitive as parts of your post may sound, you do make good points. I too feel that with all this bailouts for basically failing, we are not holding not only corporations, but individuals accountable for poor and irresponsible choices.

I will admit that I am definitely for some type of health care reform where insurance, prescription drugs, and medical attention in general is more affordable, as well as even a public option. However, I also do feel that it is not fair for responsible people that live a healthy lifestyle, a lifestyle like you described should be paying the bills for the irresponsible people. People that choose to live a healthy lifestyle in general suffer less from certain illnesses and diseases. While people that do not take care of their healths, do not exercise, diet right may take advantage of some type of public option where the Gov. will just cover their costs. I am a little torn about the public option because of that. A part of me agrees with it, another part does not think it may be fair to the responsible ones.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
bentlebee, as insensitive as parts of your post may sound, you do make good points. I too feel that with all this bailouts for basically failing, we are not holding not only corporations, but individuals accountable for poor and irresponsible choices.

I will admit that I am definitely for some type of health care reform where insurance, prescription drugs, and medical attention in general is more affordable, as well as even a public option. However, I also do feel that it is not fair for responsible people that live a healthy lifestyle, a lifestyle like you described should be paying the bills for the irresponsible people. People that choose to live a healthy lifestyle in general suffer less from certain illnesses and diseases. While people that do not take care of their healths, do not exercise, diet right may take advantage of some type of public option where the Gov. will just cover their costs. I am a little torn about the public option because of that. A part of me agrees with it, another part does not think it may be fair to the responsible ones.
Already we see how irrisponsible people who abuse alcohol kill other innocent people on the road...now with the public option we incl. alcoholics, etc...for every treatment.

I really feel horrible about Patrick Swayze and his cancer but the other side is that he was a heavy smoker and alcohol misuser for many years, which could be the course for his cancer. Now health ins. are very cautious with ins. issues caused by the people who caused part or 100% of their health issue.
When the public option will be incl. we for sure have to pay higher taxes since many of people now uninsured are people who never took care of their health....

How many homelss people are drinking alcohol day in and out sleeping under a bridge and lost everything due to their drug or alcohol issue...not everybody, but according to the new bill we have to pay for all of them instead of helping the healthy ones who lost their home and have a chance of a job and work while the others ruined their bodies and won't even be capable of any job but still will be taken care in the hospital...guess how many rather stay in a hospital than sleeping under a bridge....and when getting out go back and start using drugs and alcohol again and get back on our tax money...over and over..

We the responsible people can come up with the money over and over...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,342,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My whole family is eating as much healthy food as we can, but occasionally we want to eat fast food, We eat home made meals at least 5 x a week. We don't drink a lot of soda, we don't smoke and we only on a special occasion drink a glass of wine or a beer. Most of the time we don't even have alcohol in our home.
We excercised all our life's and even were involved in professional sports...

We don't have any debt, paid our homes, car's, etc. cash!

Now the banks are targeting people who pay on time and didn't cause the housing crash, although we bought more than one home and still own more than one paid by our own money...

So fees go up for responsible people.

Now soda's will be taxes! We don't drink many sod'a but now and than a Coca Cola is nice and maybe 1 or bottles a week for the entire family...we aren't obessed and pay our own health care!

Now soda's will extra taxed to prevent people to drink to much and help them stay more healthy, which we already did...so again we are punished for good behavior!

Going on a plane and sitting next to a overweigt person is terrible and mostly they aren't charged double otherwise they would have 2 seats, but we have to make our selfs smaller so we can have the excesive skin of the person sitting next to me hanging over my chair....and we pay the same!

If I have 51 lbs instead of 50 lbs I have to pay overweight!!!!! While the obessed person isn't charged for his overweight unless his suitcase is the same weight, but still I bring way less weight on board than that person...how can this be fair?

Some people may argue, well still will pay less extra tax since we use less, which is true, but still I'm slammed with taxes for something I can control myself and when will we receive tax credits for good behavior!

Maybe the whole policy of tax deductions for "dependents" needs to be revisited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies