Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The younger generation may be tech savvy, but we excel even better at determining what tech is actually useful and what is gimmicky garbage.
What horse****! My kids think all kinds of things are necessary; things I don't have and probably never will. Ex: I don't have an Ipod, a laptop, a GPS (though it would have been helpful when I was a visiting nurse), a Wii, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Maybe so many of them wouldnt be working at age 75.
Have you given much thought to the FACT that a LOT of people over the age of 60 ACTUALLY LIKE TO WORK?

As for your constant belittling housing choices - many older people - the ones buying the bigger houses - are getting the bigger houses because THEY WANT TO - because THEY LIKE BIGGER. I mean - there are 2 of us - with a 6000 + sq foot home. We LIKE IT.

Stop telling others how you think they should live and stop trying to run their lives.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM

558 posts, read 818,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
They worked until the day they died. Which worked back then, since health care wasn't so great and people (even the old ones) didn't have the luxury of sitting around all day watching "the price is right" in a comfy air conditioned room with a bag of pork rinds.
No, they didn't. Having spoken with my grandparents and great grandparents, it sounds like they actually took care of one another...shared the same home, ate at the same table. Of course, coming from the generation of "dump em into old folks homes and forget about em" I suppose it would hard for the BB's to grasp.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
No, they didn't. Having spoken with my grandparents and great grandparents, it sounds like they actually took care of one another...shared the same home, ate at the same table. Of course, coming from the generation of "dump em into old folks homes and forget about em" I suppose it would hard for the BB's to grasp.
Now just a frickin' minute! Did you not read the history I posted? There have long been "poorhouses", "poor farms", "rest homes" and the like. This sounds idyllic, this multi-generational living, but the fact of the matter is, not that much of it went on.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'm sorry, was someone criticizing me?
I am.

Good luck with that whole flying car and shiny, round white plastic future... I was raised on a vision of the future more along the lines of "Soilent Green", "Blade Runner", "1984" and "The Road Warrior", so I'm a little less optimistic.

But I actually take that grandaddy comment as a compliment. I think oldest generation had a healthier, more honest and sustainable way of life than my parents did (or do). A plastic cartoon of a world full of souless junk may work for boomers, but it isn't good enough for me or my kids.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Dorock99, you are an absolute imbecile!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, I didn't say that. I said I didn't WANT to raise my family in a 900 sq. ft. house. If I had had to do so, I would have. In point of fact, I was just told a few weeks ago that I had the best credit rating the loan officer had ever seen. So despite the fact that you won't give up harassing me, I am a good money manager.
First thing, Im not harrassing you, second thing, just because you have good credit, and have never been in debt, etc, does not mean every purchase you ever made was a smart one. It just means you were able to handle all of the purchases you did make.

Quote:
Who is working until 75? Most people retire at 62 nowadays.

Really? Where is your evidence of that? Atleast 5 members of my office are over 62, and there are several knocking on the door. In fact, there are more over 62, then under 30. My boomer dad just made a purchase which is going to force him to work until he is about 70 years old. You have stated that you are going to have to work past that age.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Have you given much thought to the FACT that a LOT of people over the age of 60 ACTUALLY LIKE TO WORK?
No, I doubt many of them are hanging on way past their usefulness because they want to be there. There is a 65+ guy in my office who comes in every day and goes to sleep on his desk. We actually just replaced him with a fairly young dude because the old guy either couldnt, or simply didnt want, do his job any longer, but we didnt fire the old guy, just moved him out of the way......yet he still keeps coming in and getting a paycheck.

No doubt there are a few people who enjoy working, but Id think a majority would rather be relaxing if they werent handcuffed to their purchases.

Quote:
As for your constant belittling housing choices - many older people - the ones buying the bigger houses - are getting the bigger houses because THEY WANT TO - because THEY LIKE BIGGER. I mean - there are 2 of us - with a 6000 + sq foot home. We LIKE IT.
Dude, you pretty much just repeated what I said dozens of times. You guys are making WANT purchases, not need purchases, which are forcing you to hang around the workplace for more years.

Quote:
Stop telling others how you think they should live and stop trying to run their lives.
I wasnt telling anyone what to do. I was simply pointing out a fact. Obviously they can continue to buy whatever they wish, and work until they drop dead paying for it, its a free country. However, denying that working in to your seventies is impacting the generation behind you is just ludicrous.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
What horse****! My kids think all kinds of things are necessary; things I don't have and probably never will. Ex: I don't have an Ipod, a laptop, a GPS (though it would have been helpful when I was a visiting nurse), a Wii, etc.

I dont have a GPS, but Ive used one before to get to NYC from Norfolk, and I have to say its a top 10 invention of the past 50 years.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Dude, you pretty much just repeated what I said dozens of times. You guys are making WANT purchases, not need purchases, which are forcing you to hang around the workplace for more years.
Well "Dude" - you are wrong.

But, don't let that stop you from your incessant whining and crying like a little baby! Oh, Boo Hoo - you can't get out of your bottom end job - oh boo hoo. Tough! Deal with it

And btw - many of "us" older "dudes" actually pay cash - a concept foreign to you snot blowers.

You ain't never going to be successful with that sh itty attitude of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies