Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Really, then how do non profits stay in business? It is not neccessary for profit to exist to employ people. Period.
The term "non profit" is for tax purposes. They do make "profit". The profit is put back into the business.

If a company does not make more than it spends, it goes out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The term "non profit" is for tax purposes. They do make "profit". The profit is put back into the business.

If a company does not make more than it spends, it goes out of business.

If a company makes EXACTLY what it spends, it can stay in business just fine.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
True.

But, then they cannot expand their business. Nor increase wages or benefits for its employees.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I have a question for you: Should Doctors in your opinion, be allowed to make a profit?

For instance, more and more Physicans are DROPPING Medicare - causing millions of seniors to have to find new Doctors.

I'd interested in your take on this -

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I have a question for you: Should Doctors in your opinion, be allowed to make a profit?

For instance, more and more Physicans are DROPPING Medicare - causing millions of seniors to have to find new Doctors.

I'd interested in your take on this -
Medicare is government insurance. I do not believe in the concept of "medical insurance". Healthcare should be a public entity such as public schools. Doctors can be supplied easily by having medical college free as long as you agree to a ten year assignment at a public medical facility.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Medicare is government insurance. I do not believe in the concept of "medical insurance". Healthcare should be a public entity such as public schools. Doctors can be supplied easily by having medical college free as long as you agree to a ten year assignment at a public medical facility.
I asked you if Doctors should be allowed to make a profit.

Your response did not answer my question.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I asked you if Doctors should be allowed to make a profit.

Your response did not answer my question.

Assuming we operate in some form of capitalism, which I oppose.

Doctors can make a profit in so much as there is a free alternative.

Lets see how many of them make 20+% profits when their forced demand gets knee capped.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Assuming we operate in some form of capitalism, which I oppose.

Doctors can make a profit in so much as there is a free alternative.

Lets see how many of them make 20+% profits when their forced demand gets knee capped.
So, you don't like Doctors making profits.

The fact is, right now, many Doctors are no longer accepting Medicare (or Medicade). The Re-Imbursement rates are far to low (sometimes below the cost of service). And Medicare has recently announced another round of cuts.

It is this type of problem that many foresee with a Government program such as you support.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So, you don't like Doctors making profits.

The fact is, right now, many Doctors are no longer accepting Medicare (or Medicade). The Re-Imbursement rates are far to low (sometimes below the cost of service). And Medicare has recently announced another round of cuts.

It is this type of problem that many foresee with a Government program such as you support.
You are correct. I have a problem with stolen labor value to begin with, but taking excessive profits off of sick people in need, and using their health as a bargaining chip of duress, is outright unacceptable.

1. Why is the cost of service so high? Why is it so much lower in most other countries? Thats because every single level of our medical system is making obscene profits, all the way from the pharmeceutical and medical supply companies, to the hospitals and doctors. That insane end cost comes out of our pockets.

2. What government program do I support? Because somehow, it sounds like you are under the impression that I support some sort of "expanded medicare" type concoction or a similiar government insurance program. That is far from what I support. Additionally, I do not support completely banning the for profit doctors, just making them completely unneccessary. If some private doctor wants to charge $350 for a 30 minute consultation, he is free to do so. Maybe he might get about 10 patients a year, since the rest of us are going to get ours at minimal cost through a non profit government system.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM

First of all, if you remove the profit incentive, you will remove the party to perform the service.

Physicians are in business and in business to make a profit - while serving the medical needs of their patients. Their individual practices are expensive to run because they have the standards to deal with: Rent, utilities, staff, salaries, benefits, insurance (malpractice) etc. Heck, the cost of telephone service alone is high. Property taxes are soaring.

They also have personal expenses to deal with - putting a roof over their, and their families head.

Then, there is the cost of the equipment they have - and, as a patient, I want the doctor to have the latest and greatest. That MRI machine? The Cost is a Million dollars (or more). And, it is not going to come down.

Hospitals are expensive to build and maintain etc.

Many Doctors cannot afford Medicare patients today as the reimbursement rate is below the actual cost of service.

Making a profit is what gives people the incentive to open a business - to try to make the business grow. Take away the profit incentive - you take away the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies