Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,912,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Nah, it expired in 2006 and it didn't matter how old it was--prior to February/2009 that is. I used my 1986/1996 passport at times. That passport had been to all 7 continents and Greenland I'm proud to say.
IMO, the only way that happened is if you mailed it to those locals with return to sender paid postage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
A birth certificate and social security card? I've never heard of that and I hire people.

I don't even know where my social security card is....
I still have to show my DD214 and verification of my security clearance.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,423,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I hated the 1986 Immigration and Reform Act under president Reagan. Part of that was the I-9 form where the federal government put the responsibility of law enforcement (protecting our borders) on corporate America. This was stunt perpetrated by the feds to massivly increase Mexican immigration into the United States.
The federal government put the responsibility for not employing illegal immigrants on the corporations, not law enforcement or protecting our borders.

Quote:
Every time I want to get a different job in my own country that I was born and raised in, I have to prove that I'm an American citizen. I have the white European look/culture that 95% of this country was settled by. I speak perfectly neutral English (born and raised in Cincinnati), and yet I have prove I'm American to get a job which means I have to submit to the humility of getting my personal documents photocopied--social security card and driver's license. I used to just use an expried passport, but now the feds will no longer accept that. Now the passport must be current. What the heck does it matter if I have an expired U.S. passport? It proves I'm a U.S. citizen. But moreover, why should we Americans have to submit to this nonsene at all? Why don't you card Mohammad who has a thick accent or Jose who is obviously Mexican? Maybe just maybe those guys are the ones here illegally? This whole thing stinks! It hurt us Americans the most. Just think how many millions upon millions of us have had to submit to this stupid nonsense by the feds and get our personal ID photocopied and have to prove we're American? I hate what this country has become, and I hate our federal governmemt.
The only two people I have know who I know for sure were illegal immigrants were both European -- one a Brit, the other a Dane.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679
A birth certificate and social security card? I've never heard of that and I hire people.
How do you verify their eligibility to work in the US which has been required since 1986?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:40 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I've been providing my birth certifiace and SS # (no card required) for 35 years. It's not a new rule or anything and if you haven't been showing it, or asking for it, you have probably just been lazy about the law.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
i think you just have to provide 2 forms of id. i don't have a copy of my social security card; i think i just used my passport and my driver's license, or my birth certificate, or something. it's been a while since i was a new hire. i think there might be some documents that prove both identity and citizenship, like a passport.

and yeah, i was abjectly humiliated by the fact that they were xeroxed. and they're so heavy! carrying them into the office is a real burden.

i've never had to show any kind of id at a job interview.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I've never had to show any kind of id at a job interview.
You must be the whitest, most neutral speaking person of European descent on the block as opposed to the OP who is only 'white European look/culture that 95% of this country was settled by. I speak perfectly neutral English' who probably tans easily.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
i have a pretty newscastery accent - i grew up in connecticut.

but i *am* a jew, so i dunno. i guess i'm a pretty pale russian jew as opposed to a swarthy middle eastern looking one...

Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
It doesn't bother me to prove when I get a job that I'm an American or otherwise qualified to work here. Don't resident aliens have to carry around their ID and inform someone of a change of address and all that? Next to that, it seems citizens have it easy in that way.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i have a pretty newscastery accent - i grew up in connecticut.

but i *am* a jew, so i dunno. i guess i'm a pretty pale russian jew as opposed to a swarthy middle eastern looking one...
LOL

Regardless of what someone may think, white is not 'neutral'. If there is such a thing, I'm it. I don't usually classify or describe it but for this thread I will. My skin color is in the vanilla/tan family. I was born and raised in Chicago but since HS graduation, I've lived in different parts of the country. My Chicago brogue is long gone. No one can tell what my ancestry is. People are always asking me, 'What are you'!?! My first response, 'I'm a woman.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies